Tip to remind you before driving off (1 Viewer)

Jun 25, 2008
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
I came up with this idea after driving off forwards forgetting I was on the ramps.
My van is a Citroen Relay I think it will also work with Fiat and Peugeot vans
There is a pen holder on the left of the dash which just lifts out, I have made 3 dymo tape
Labels :- Ramps Electric Lead Wheelclamp and stuck them on the back of the pen holder,
When it is in place the labels cannot be seen, when I park up I just lift it out and place it over
the gear lever with the label facing outwards reminding me to check them before I can put the
Van in gear, see attached photo.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    131 KB · Views: 837

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
I came up with this idea after driving off forwards forgetting I was on the ramps.
My van is a Citroen Relay I think it will also work with Fiat and Peugeot vans
There is a pen holder on the left of the dash which just lifts out, I have made 3 dymo tape
Labels :- Ramps Electric Lead Wheelclamp and stuck them on the back of the pen holder,
When it is in place the labels cannot be seen, when I park up I just lift it out and place it over
the gear lever with the label facing outwards reminding me to check them before I can put the
Van in gear, see attached photo.

I'd need a bigger pen holder, last trip it was the fridge vent cover... Luckily I saw it fly off in the mirror...The car behind also flashed stopped and picked it up...

Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
Yes, we do the same for the step and the aerial. A label on the gear stick.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Our step comes in automatically as soon as the engine starts. , any flaps left open we have an high pitched shriek
We have made ourselves an A4 sheet of things to check before we move of, it's got to be second nature now to check before we move off , gone are the days of the contents of the kitchen pot cupboard and the TV ricocheting around the cab at the first right angle bend or sudden stop :dance2::Grin:

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
We both have a check list noted on our phones. Whenever I park I put a note I keep in the door pocket in front of the speedo to use the checklist.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
I have a swmbo who takes care of the reminding. I believe she has a degree in it. :(

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
same here.
I had a yellow laminated card on a string and clip which read "ANTENNA/SAT DISH" which was clipped to the steering wheel when in use.
once lowered, the card clipped to the internal dish winder....impossible to forget to use it that way.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I put the winder on the brake pedals to remind me to wind the rear steadies up before moving off. Sometimes forget the aerial though.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Yes! I often forget to look at my reminder list. (n):LOL::LOL:
Just what I was thinking about the op, it's ok if you remember to put it on the gear lever, if not you could maybe drive off with a false sense of security, better fixed somewhere where it's always in view, just saying:)

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
We have a very elderly piece of card that we put on the side door interior to remind us if we have the alarm on overnight.
We were on a motorway in Spain and people kept flashing me as they passed, eventually a chap cut in front of us and we prepard to be robbed! No chance, he just wanted to say that our back locker was wide open- I use a homemade clip as the original one was useless. Happily nothing had fell out and looking in the side mirror you could only just see the edge of the locker clipped up neatly but wide open!! We now try to check before we set off.
Mike

Reactions: f6c
Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Walk round. I do it every time just before I drive off and take a quick look at tyres inc ramps, windows, aerial, locker doors and electric/aerial cable. Then as I enter through the rear door do a quick check of wardrobe doors, bathroom door, lockers and drawers. All takes less than a minute.

Aug 11, 2016
ipswich
Funster No
MH
Not sure
Exp
1 year
Being an ex HGV driver it was always compulsory practise to do a walk round in the morning but then you tend to get in the habit of doing it several times a day.

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
First tip provided by friend - drive 10 yards from pitch, stop, get out and wander around looking carefully at the ground and all over the van inside and out. Then get back in and drive off.

At least this way you know what/whom is left behind.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
First tip provided by friend - drive 10 yards from pitch, stop, get out and wander around looking carefully at the ground and all over the van inside and out. Then get back in and drive off.

At least this way you know what/whom is left behind.
Too late if you can't remember you were on ramps.:rofl:

Oct 28, 2011
west midlands
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
new
So excited with new van, went to fill up with diesel, also gas tanks, (we had cylinders before), why is my phone bleeping at me ?? Eventually, when I got to look at the message, we had forgotten to disarm the tracker.......:blusher::blusher:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Having just forked out 612 quid on a new side overran window I don't think I'll forget to check everything in future :(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back