Tilting solar panels (1 Viewer)

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Has anyone done a roof tilting panels with actuator or without? I’m in process of finishing mine. Initially I had two fixed and I had to start from scratch, without access below roof. I’m interested in what others have used for hinges. I tried few combinations, and settled for the fire rated 4” door hinges. They are bulky, but does the job. Probably I will change this in the future. I used a 1500mn actuator, finished all the mechanical bits, less the electrics. I have run the cable, and tomorrow I’m installing the remote control. I have tested them today, and from 80w flat, I got 360w at about 47 deg lift. This was about 10.30 am. Pictures to follow tomorrow.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
There’s no doubt a tilting solar panel produces much more energy, but to get the best you have to track the sun as well. Unless you buy a tracking version you need to be around to move it. 15 degrees every hour.
Phil

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
I suppose if you park up in a position such that you catch the sun first thing in the morning until mid day then you would probably be fully charged.you could then drop the panels flat to catch the rest of the day albeit at a much lower wattage ,but normal for a flat panel.
Would you build in a timer?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Raul
Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
There’s no doubt a tilting solar panel produces much more energy, but to get the best you have to track the sun as well. Unless you buy a tracking version you need to be around to move it. 15 degrees every hour.
Phil
I live off grid, entire household runs on solar, and I fitted container loads of solar for a living in the past. I have experienced various scenarios. A single axis is more than enough for my needs. A dual axis is cumbersome,heavy, expensive, and not a lot to gain what you can get with extra panels. Panels are way cheaper than a dual axis tracker. Trust me, I’ve done it for years.
For the van, tilting is way better than flat, tracking on the van I’m not interested, i can park or move the van if needed. I have enough panels to yield my energy requirements.

OP
OP
Raul
Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
I suppose if you park up in a position such that you catch the sun first thing in the morning until mid day then you would probably be fully charged.you could then drop the panels flat to catch the rest of the day albeit at a much lower wattage ,but normal for a flat panel.
Would you build in a timer?
I do have two portable mobile panels that I point to the sun, the roof was lacking in the mornings and evenings. If I park facing south west or west, I’m done. Till midd day, they can stay flat, just lift for the afternoon. I don’t need peak power, just longer harvest time.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I have tested them today, and from 80w flat, I got 360w at about 47 deg lift. This was about 10.30 am. Pictures to follow tomorrow.
That's a surprising increase. If the sun was at about 45° then a panel flat offers about 70% of the surface area of a panel tilted perpendicular to the sun.

Why you get over 4 times the power escapes me. Based on effective surface area it should have increased from 80W to something like 120W. :unsure:

OP
OP
Raul
Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
When the angle is low, you get allot of light bounced-reflected, as you approach the tangent most of it is absorbed. I will, try again few tests tomorrow, I do have a tree next to me and does shade from the branches when flat, less so when up. Maybe this was a factor to. I will try to re position the van free of shade and get some conclusive figures.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
I live off grid, entire household runs on solar, and I fitted container loads of solar for a living in the past. I have experienced various scenarios. A single axis is more than enough for my needs. A dual axis is cumbersome,heavy, expensive, and not a lot to gain what you can get with extra panels. Panels are way cheaper than a dual axis tracker. Trust me, I’ve done it for years.
For the van, tilting is way better than flat, tracking on the van I’m not interested, i can park or move the van if needed. I have enough panels to yield my energy requirements.
when driving through France last week I noticed for the first time, Solar farms with panels angled in such a way too, in "waves" looked good aswell

Last edited:
OP
OP
Raul
Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
I looked at them Paul. The first one, is using the actuator from one side, using the panel frame a lifting structure, it flexes and bends. The idea is good with more thought.
Lady, he has a steel frame and rack. Heavy, two actuators, doable to a empty van.plenty access underneath. My ceiling and cupboards will not allow me to get underneath. So, I borrowed some ideas, and customised my own, using the existing supports to create a ladder rack. The only thing I’m not happy entirely, is the hinges. But I can’t complain, the only money spent was the actuator, the rest is bits I had in the garage from previous solar jobs.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Martin jumar modified the panel on his van to hinge using some anodised angle with multi holes & slots,similar to dexion, that we were able to hinge at one end using a single bolt & locknut with a quick release for the other end .all manually adjusted.martin would be able to link what the stuff was he purchased.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I shall be very interested if you can provide evidence of significant gains.
I thought about doing something but decided that a (larger) flat panel was good enough.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Martin jumar modified the panel on his van to hinge using some anodised angle with multi holes & slots,similar to dexion, that we were able to hinge at one end using a single bolt & locknut with a quick release for the other end .all manually adjusted.martin would be able to link what the stuff was he purchased.

As Gus has written...we (mainly he) fitted a simple but efficient tilting system...so far, during winter it's turned out to be a very worthy idea...early morning, low sun, I had positioned the van the night before I can recharge my batteries within a couple of hours or less.....late afternoon, van positioned when we arrive for our overnighter catching the last 3 hours.... recharging our eBike batteries....and ensuring a full leisure battery..
Tracking not required...I can access my panel through the roof light and tilt to my required level...simple system, very light and works for us....during the summer months..leaving flat would be all that's needed...200w panel..Small folding panel will be used when van is in shade and we need to replenish batteries...photo taken during short trip in January...Offgridtec 002560 - Kit de montaje en pared para paneles solares (712 mm) Amazon product ASIN B0762QS2JT

Attachments

• IMG_20220103_145641.jpg
    IMG_20220103_145641.jpg
    880.8 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Very interested to see your solution on this.

I've toyed with different designs myself in the past, then dropped the idea. But planning (another) refit later this year and may revisit the idea.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
I suppose another consideration for many is the weight.
on another forum someone has put tiltable panels on a trailer ,he must have had a couple of controllers and 2 seperate circuits as the panels overlapped when flat but when raised were in an "A" frame with panels on both sides.Obviously one side harvests more than the other but alternate as the sun moves around.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
When the sun is low, raising a panel to be perpendicular to the light will help, but will not overcome the losses caused by the extra thickness of atmosphere that it has to pass through.
If panels could be designed to capture 50% or more of the energy available, rather than only 25%, harvesting would not need to be so complicated.
I do hope that someone can provide measurements (Wh collected) under different conditions. "More" or "better" is not enough.
If playing with panels, perhaps someone could measure the maximum panel output compared to that specified for the panel.
I am particularly interested in the power provided by a panel at different angles of incidence to the sun and for what angles of incidence a panel produces maximum power (if it ever does).

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
When the sun is low, raising a panel to be perpendicular to the light will help, but will not overcome the losses caused by the extra thickness of atmosphere that it has to pass through.
If panels could be designed to capture 50% or more of the energy available, rather than only 25%, harvesting would not need to be so complicated.
I do hope that someone can provide measurements (Wh collected) under different conditions. "More" or "better" is not enough.
If playing with panels, perhaps someone could measure the maximum panel output compared to that specified for the panel.
I am particularly interested in the power provided by a panel at different angles of incidence to the sun and for what angles of incidence a panel produces maximum power (if it ever does).
This is a test I did a few years ago now with my 40w panel. Was in February and the sun was so low in the sky I had to put the panel on a table so the sun hit it.

The panel is giving full power out.

IMAG0747.jpg
IMAG0748.jpg
IMAG0750.jpg
IMAG0751.jpg

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
The label identifies a problem. My Photonic 100W semi-flex panels weigh less than that framed 40W one. Having 3 glued down, I've already saved 16Kg over framed ones without the additional weight of some sort of tilting mechanism so probably around 20Kg saving overall. The luxury of a tilting panel, which automatically precludes lighter semi-flex ones, is OK if you have the available payload. When a reliable PV membrane can be fused with our roll-out awnings we'll all be laughing.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Techno also did a thread on panel testing a few years ago?

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Techno also did a thread on panel testing a few years ago?
Cannot provide a specific or scientific result but what I can say is my 200w panel laying flat was providing 40w, when raised it read 156w....in January....that enough for me to call what we did as a total success....(y):cool:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Raul
Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Cannot provide a specific or scientific result but what I can say is my 200w panel laying flat was providing 40w, when raised it read 156w....in January....that enough for me to call what we did as a total success....(y):cool:
Similar experience here, however, I had a tree and some shade was cast on the flat panel, raising it, it was taking it out the shade. I’m almost done, I’m wiring the remote sender now, test for functionality, then close the box and move the van. Things got in the way and had to start later on this, hence I did not post any test yet. I will follow this properly and anyone can make their mind up if is worth it or not.
For me is priceless, I already seen how the power goes up as you raise it.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
OP
OP
Raul
Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Success, I finished the wiring, and did a test. The sun was past to the west already not directly to the panels, but still impressive. First photo is the gizmos, then the system idle on float. Then I put the kettle on to draw some power. You can see the power 270w ish flat, then I raised it full out, and increased to 500w ish. I will do other tests when I can catch the sun perpendicular to the van, that would be more appropriate, and will try to film it to see the power increase as it goes up.
3AFE80F5-4562-475D-B476-8D780B5BA20A.jpeg
C042DA42-3986-4716-B2C4-B7944BAB5EE8.jpeg
5BDEA064-9DD2-410E-B0BF-4F3C94BE9147.jpeg
D6A1A786-B65B-45D7-B5D0-6F1F50B44D58.jpeg
287D434E-F8F9-4EDE-99BE-88EF97890036.jpeg
7B965CAD-372D-42A2-B9DC-9E1EC8A14B48.jpeg

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
That's a serious difference Raul (y)

Out of interest, what size are those panels and how many Nm is the actuator?

Nice job :cool:

Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
Nice one. A close up of the tilting mechanism would be good...

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
my version
tiltV1.jpg
tilt-extended.jpg

1647963419055.png

something i found.
Tables

Broken Link Removed
Tables

This is an improvement of the general method that gives better results.​
In this method, the optimum tilt angle for solar panels during winter is calculated by multiplying the latitude by 0.9 and then adding 29°.​
In the above case example of a latitude of 34°, the tilt angle will be (34 * 0.9) + 29 = 59.6°.​
This angle is 10° steeper than in the general method but very effective at tapping the midday sun which is the hottest in the short winter days.​
For summer, the tilt angle is calculated by multiplying the latitude by 0.9 and subtracting 23.5°. In the above case example, this angle would be (34 * 0.9) – 23.5 = 7.1°. For optimum tilt angles during spring and fall, 2.5° is subtracted from the latitude.​
somebody asked for actual collection versus angle , on the day i tried there was lots of variation in cloud making it almost pointless, especialy since i cant find it

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back