Things that took a long time........

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by ips, Mar 5, 2010.

1. ips

ips Read Only Funster

........ to do but really shouldnt have.

I watched a bloke faffing about with a tv sat dish thing for 4 hours on a CC site in yorkshire last year. Mrs ips, daughter and I were amazed at the lengths some people will go to in order to watch rubbish. Had 3 other blokes helping him for the last hour or so..unbeleivable.
    Never have and dont intend to start watching tv in the MH apart from anything else what the hell is there worth watching at weekends ???
    We never get bored and never miss it.

SO THERE :)

2. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

I did see a guy around 3 or 4 years ago, turn up on site with an RV. I think it was newish, as he was intent on adding every conceivable extra when other campers were in view.

By the time he had his Transit sized gas barbeque out, banquet table and 8-10 chairs, awning, awning lights, fairy lights for the awning, pitch lights for the pitch, set up sat dish, TV in the awning, telescope on the roof (I kid you not) - all took about three days!!

So basing that on 3 days to unpack and 3 to repack - I just hope he was there for two weeks!!:Rofl1:

3. ips

ips Read Only Funster

4. Jackomet

Jackomet Read Only Funster

Could not agree more. Me and the present Mrs JK wanted to get away from all that crap we were getting on TV back in the UK, MP's, every other show some kind of celeb this or that, "reality bloody TV" there's an oxymoron.
    At one campsite in northern Spain, last year, a couple noticed that we did not have a sat dish. "So, how do you watch Corrie then?" "What's Corrie?".
    They looked at us as if we were mad!
    Will hunt out the local "Irish pub" for sport etc. and watch the odd DVD, but that's it.
    We do other things in the evening, probaly what my grand parents did, play cards, try to learn Spanish (OK they did not do that but I've often wondered why my Dad was called Juan?) read and talk to one another instead of just sitting glued the the box all night. Might as well stay at home in the UK and watch it there.
    Sorry rant over.
    JK

5. ips

ips Read Only Funster

Indeed, reality my ass. :thumb:

6. sedge

sedge Funster

Hear Hear to all of you.

We read books, but only a bit at a time otherwise they won't last us LOL

We do crosswords, ditto.

We quite like to play cards - Cribbage if we can rope anyone else in, have small folding board same size as a pack of cards LOL

We talk

We go for walks - sometimes we combine the last 2 LOL

We explore - sometimes do shopping sometimes a museum, whatever

We'll swim and relax in sun if facilities and weather suitable.

We do quite a bit of nuffink much, really - and enjoy it!

7. rainbow chasers

I hate reality also - getting a bit worn now. I don't watch much TV anyway, only for news - and that in itslef is getting pretty silly...who cares about Katie Price, Who cares if John Terry had an affair? Get on with the real news!

I did have a customer ask once, if our vans were fitted with Playstation for the kids.........No! They are on holiday - get them in the sun, swimming running around and having fun! :Doh:

8. ips

ips Read Only Funster

We also eat and drink a lot..

9. yorkshirepudding

yorkshirepudding Read Only Funster

We talk, we read, we watch the world go by. TV? - never. News papers? - seldom. The world will go on with no input from me. As has been said previously and in several recent posts, theres very little worth watching.

10. Jackomet

Sedge,

Cribbage now there's a game.
    We are now trying to play it in Spanish, a 20 minute game now takes about an hour. We've sussed Jack, Queen, King, gato, reina, rey but when we asked a local what was "one for his nobbs" in Spanish he thought we were taking the p&^s. Still don't know.
    "uno para sus nobbs?"
    JK

11. rainbow chasers

Corcorota (nf) or esnob (adj):thumb:

12. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

confirmed tv adict.....cant do without it.

but i would draw the line at 4 hours to set up my dish....i reckon within 20 minutes i'd know it wasnt going to work and give up. :Doh:

we were on a welsh wooded valley site and had niether sat nor terrestrial....next best thing, go to the pub and get wobbly.:thumb:

13. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

It's a pan European disease. Everywhere we go, MH stops, satellite dish erects.

It quite amusing when a few arrive together and you watch them twirling around like some electronic ballet.

Maybe it's a testosterone thing, my dish is faster than your dish.

And then there's my GPS is better than your GPS.

14. violet

violet Read Only Funster

We have watched m/hs park, set up, then try to get best satellite reception and when that doesn't happen, pack up and move elsewhere. We also were near a Dutch couple with a manual sat aerial who took hours to sort it out, then in beautiful evening sunshine they went in and watched television.
    We don't have TV at home and wouldn't think of it for the camper.
    violet

15. madbluemad

madbluemad

There's no better pastime than sitting with a cuppa and watchin a chap wander around a field with a tv arial in his hand. Its brilliant.

Jim
    :Smile:

16. sedge

sedge Funster

I think it's more 'one for him' - "uno para él", but you'd need to explain it was "solamente para él particularmente; el Bribón de espadas" (only for him; the knave of spades)

Because they don't seem to play Crib anywhere else except Inglaterra!!!

(Please tell me it is Spades, my memory does fail me abysmally all the while, but if it isn't just substitute approprate suit)

Thought a gato was a cat, as in Hey!! Pooossy Gato!!!!, el cabo de gata etc

17. Jackomet

S
    Unless me mammy told me wrong, one for nobs is holding the Jack that matches the suit of the turnover card. Not just spades.
    JK

18. sue1959

sue1959 Read Only Funster

Correct and you get an extra point if you turn the Jack over on the 'pot'.

19. barryd

barryd Read Only Funster

I was forced to watch a whole series of Big Brother across 5 countries last summer! How do you think I feel?

wouldnt be without the tele and a Camos Dome so all I do is switch it on and it works everywhere (apart from under trees and bridges). Im not a tele addict though and would rather be sat out in the sun drinking beer and playing my guitar of an evening and that is mostly what we do but when its poring down or its dark at 4pm its quite nice to sit in the rear lounge and watch all the crud Mrs D likes to watch!

20. frogijock

frogijock Funster

You are thought right Gato is a cat and Pero is a dog :thumb: