they wont insure car

Discussion in 'Motorhome Insurance General Discussion' started by Goldenoldies, May 18, 2016.

1. Goldenoldies

Goldenoldies Funster

I insure my motorhome with Comfort, cant fault them nice people to talk to, last year got a reduction because I was able to reduce the mileage. They are quite happy for me to tow my car but they wont insure it, (insured elsewhere but very expensive), cant get a good enough reason why. Anyone else got the same problem?

2. Tootles

Tootles Funster

So, surely your car is already insured.....As a car, I mean?? You cant insure a car twice. Dosen't it class as a trailer if being towed? Then, it would be covered by your MH policy, as long as they allow the towing of trailers.......

3. Goldenoldies

Goldenoldies Funster

I don't want to insure it twice, I would just like both vehicles insured with the same company. They allow me to tow, but wont insure me to drive it.

4. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Well, go elsewhere (for the car insurance)........Seems like your only option.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

Trailer cover is usually only up to 750kgs .

6. Tootles

Tootles Funster

So how do the peeps towing a car on a four wheeled trailer go on?? o_O

7. Sparkly

Sparkly Funster Life Member

Comfort do car insurance for motorhome owners, I got a quote last month. Check their website. The quote was horrendous though and we went with SAGA who also give us unlimited use abroad.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Likewise.

• Like Like x 1
  9. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

As far as I know you'd have to insure the car separately if the cars own insurance did not cover it when on the trailer.
    When I used to tow in the UK it was only the trailer itself that was covered ,not any load/contents. Used to have to insure separately to cover stuff being carried.

10. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

With some companies It does get quite complicated with "Toad" insurance
    If you care to ask the right questions you may find you are woefully underinsured some limit trailer cover to a max of £2,500.
    Remember this should you choose to class your car as a trailer

ask if trailers are covered and the answer may well be yes, ask what the value limit is under trailer section and you may get a shock.
    ask if agreed value cover is available for a trailer and again the answer may well be yes so
    You then start the agreed value process ie my trailer is worth 10K etec etc and all is well till they ask you the make of the trailer
    Smart or Vauxhall or Ford is not in their tick box menu so it all goes tits up again most folk dont realise
    the car ON the trailer is in fact "goods in transit" and again not always covered by trailer or the cars road policy either because it's not on the road when its on a trailer:doh:

Some insurers simply say Oh yesy your all covered either way Really!!! try asking the correct questions and you may find they meant it is, but third party only
    You really do need to do your home work and ask if your Toad is FULLY insured (as in they will pay for all damage and a Total loss if the worst happens
    G
    Ps
    I have Fully Comp road risks along with third party liability, trailer cover and Goods in transit cover

11. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Some insurers cover towed car third party only . I have insured car with NFU, LV and now Admiral who all insure comprehensive when being towed and accept a frame as modification.