They are weighing lorries as they go along will it be us next

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Mavis, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Mavis

Mavis Funster

• Like Like x 1
  2. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

that sounds like bad news

That sounds like bad news for some.

Bob

• Like Like x 1
  3. vwalan

vwalan Funster

they can weigh any thing . they can weigh m,homes .
    gotta be a good thing overweight can make brakes, etc over heat . responsible drivers dont over load vehicles .

• Like Like x 7
  4. aba

aba

now they dont even need to take you to a weigh bridge to find out.
    looking at the picture on the right of the link it gives the gross weight off the log book so i suppose if a motorhome is over what its registered as you will get pulled in.

5. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Thank goodness am out of that job !!!.

6. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Sounds like excellent news for you. Can you imagine requesting the calibration certificate for a motorway.

I do not believe "extreme accuracy", too many variables, the motorway surface will change it's characteristics dramatically with temperature and over time.

I can believe they they would get close enough to pull them and weigh them properly elsewhere but they'd probably not risk it if it was just a bit over, which is what a MH would be.

• Like Like x 3
  7. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

legal wise.. yes

Legal wise yes it will open up a new avenue of challenges. Calibration being only one I suspect.

In some ways it is good that we have moved on with technology .. but I also see it as the next step to the spy in the cab where your speed will be beamed up to a satellite and tickets issued.

It has already been used in some car hire outfits in the USA..so the technology is there

Bob

8. hilldweller

Technically trivial right now, but the good news is it's a massive vote loser, no party would touch it with a bargepole. I hope.

There is another avenue though, already tested by TRRL, speed limitation, just stops you speeding. Now that's a huge revenue killer.

9. vwalan

vwalan Funster

i think you will find its been going on for awhile . there was a piece in the transport managers handbooks awhile ago .there was about 4 roads that have these weigh panels . there as been several arguments about acurasy. but if they stop you for being over weight they can then take you to a conventional weigh bridge . if the journey is more than 5miles out of the way you can claim expenses should you not be overweight when weighed at the weigh bridge . .there as been a trend on these roads to only stop the ones they know are over weight . its an offence to refuse to go to a weigh bridge if requested .
    i cant find the list of roads i,m sure i have them somewhere . .
    i just reread that report . they say 14 places . i must reads things fully . i only repeated what it says sorry . but i have a list somewhere .

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  10. Mavis

Mavis Funster

I have been told there is a weighing pad on A20 after you leave dover and just before M20

also It's also what the bumps are for just before customs at Dover, they have a sensitive microphone next to it and if the vehicle jangles too much they pull you over to find the bottles :Rofl1:

11. darklord

darklord Read Only Funster

It is interesting to note, that technology is available, to control the speed of vehicles by a signal interrupting the vehicle ECU. As more and more vehicles are fitted with an ECU or "brain" the easier it becomes, the reason it is not being trialled at the present,...is that there is no revenue in people NOT speeding, even if you can control it outside schools etc.

Overweight vehicles are a problem, but those that are more likely to flout the laws always plead ignorance, hence the weighbridge still being needed, the police need a "reason to stop" so this system provides that.

12. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

A good idea... According to the article, the system gives the weight and reg no via ANPR and if indicated over then they are pulled on to a proper weighbridge down the road. Overweight - pay the price. No issue with that at all.

13. aba

aba

i notice that confu$ed.com is offering a smart box that reports how you drive for cheaper insurance.

14. Ivory55

Ivory55 Funster

hi what you might see as a little over weight may be worse then you think as they do you on % of over weight axle or gross. ivory55

15. hilldweller

I think it's mainly a way to curb the youngsters. GPS can log speed, position and distance travelled. I think the deal is something like £x a mile and a big "fine" if you run high speeds. Maybe if they log routes they could detect speeding.

This is of course as near as makes no difference to what is needed for paying for road usage.

The future is GRIM.

• Like Like x 1
  16. aba

aba

it will get alot worse before it gets better.

17. vwalan

vwalan Funster

dont believe it . lifes great . look at all the folk on here with motor homes . .when as it stopped folk changing vans etc . life is getting better all the time .
    i think many of you are just gloom merchants .
    but look out for 21st december .doomsday is coming .
    no need to worry about your finance . ha ha .

• Like Like x 4
  18. grumps147

grumps147 Funster

19. grumps147

grumps147 Funster

links to Vosa videos, the first wil not load on my iPad, probably needs flash or similar that apple do not use.

The second when finishd shows at least 6 other videos produced by VOSA.

They quite clearly indicate they have moved a long way from stop the net wagon comng down the road, to target serious offenders. That may mean a motorhome, and if they have you for weight expect a mechanical check also seems to be the message.

http://www.transportoffice.gov.uk/crt/repository/VOSA Intellingent Targeting Video - cjd-mp4 .pdf

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyNQtSwpUoI&feature=fvsr[/ame]

20. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

weighing us next, I'll have to go on a diet then. Fat buggers of the world unite and sign my anti weighing machine petition.
    You know it makes sense