Thetford fridge - not working! (1 Viewer)

Sep 27, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Hymer 630mlt
Exp
Since September 2017
Hi -
Help! My fridge is not working! Had it working on 240 volts at home on drive! Travelled to Grantown on Spey from near Edinburgh and found fridge led was flashing! When I checked Hymer manual found that this could be lack of energy source so changed it gas whack I knew was fully charged! Seemed to accept change of energy to gas but started flashing again! I’ve changed the batteries in the compartment- 6 AA batteries- and again thought that I had fixed it but after a few minutes reverted to flashing again! Now the freezer is dirge and freezer is not working and I think I’m going to have to go home to try and fix problem! Any ideas gratefully accepted!

faraway

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 10
Exp
Getting better
Does it have an outside cover and if so, has the cover been removed?

Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Hi -
Help! My fridge is not working! Had it working on 240 volts at home on drive! Travelled to Grantown on Spey from near Edinburgh and found fridge led was flashing! When I checked Hymer manual found that this could be lack of energy source so changed it gas whack I knew was fully charged! Seemed to accept change of energy to gas but started flashing again! I’ve changed the batteries in the compartment- 6 AA batteries- and again thought that I had fixed it but after a few minutes reverted to flashing again! Now the freezer is dirge and freezer is not working and I think I’m going to have to go home to try and fix problem! Any ideas gratefully accepted!
Model no.. would help.. think must be quite an old model if still has AA batterys. Sorry can't help but sure someone may be along soon
However unless for medical reasons can you not manage without fridge for a while and still njoy yer holiday??

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
2dandaddy
Sep 27, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Hymer 630mlt
Exp
Since September 2017
Model no.. would help.. think must be quite an old model if still has AA batterys. Sorry can't help but sure someone may be along soon
However unless for medical reasons can you not manage without fridge for a while and still njoy yer holiday??
Could manage without fridge but would loose contents in fridge but would still have to fix problem!

Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Yes I understand that.. yes of coarse it needs fixing. But it is surprisingly how long stuff in fridge will survive ( you said it worked on drive before leaving).
You may have to bin some, but replace as required and enjoy you holiday..
Granton on Spey is a lovely place with opertunitys to restock... Coop being one..

Upvote 0
OP
OP
2dandaddy
Sep 27, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Hymer 630mlt
Exp
Since September 2017
Yes I understand that.. yes of coarse it needs fixing. But it is surprisingly how long stuff in fridge will survive ( you said it worked on drive before leaving).
You may have to bin some, but replace as required and enjoy you holiday..
Granton on Spey is a lovely place with opertunitys to restock... Coop being one..
Poppycamper- thanks for that! You’re right just a bit inconvenient really! Just panicking a bit! Could stay another couple of days and sort problem later!👍

Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Poppycamper- thanks for that! You’re right just a bit inconvenient really! Just panicking a bit! Could stay another couple of days and sort problem later!👍
Had a look on tinternet... without more info cannot be positive... however it says some thetford fridges come with a battery backup ( AA battery's) which are only there to back up your normal 12v supply..
Could your 12v supy have failed and you have been running on battery backup..
Yes I know you said you changed battery's but might be worth checking your 12v supply.. assuming you have one..
Any way njoy your ice free Gin and Tonic Holiday..

Upvote 0
OP
OP
2dandaddy
Sep 27, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Hymer 630mlt
Exp
Since September 2017
Had a look on tinternet... without more info cannot be positive... however it says some thetford fridges come with a battery backup ( AA battery's) which are only there to back up your normal 12v supply..
Could your 12v supy have failed and you have been running on battery backup..
Yes I know you said you changed battery's but might be worth checking your 12v supply.. assuming you have one..
Any way njoy your ice free Gin and Tonic Holiday..
😂! Certainly going to try! Thanks for the input!👍

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2015
Nelson New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 1998
I am going to suggest you check the obvious.
1. Are you parked on level ground.
2. When was the last time you cleaned the gas jet?
Our Thetford fridge/freezer flashes an LED with a spanner symbol and a number to indicate what the problem is. I'm assuming yours doesn't do that?

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Is it a auto selection fridge? If in Auto mode it should choose between 12V - starter or possible Leisure battery, Gas or 240. If the engine is not running it should run Gas (if open/switched on) 240 (if plugged in to EHU) and 12 volt ONLY when engine is running. You can select manually if you choose to. No AA batteries in mine. If there are that would only run the 12V operating system not the actual fridge cooling system. It would be dead in 1 minute if you did that!

My N4000 series Thetford fridge operates like this (2020 ish).

Again - model would help. Should be in a sticky piece of paper somewhere inside the fridge. Inside door or on the inside wall.

Upvote 0

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
As has been stated fridge model, somewhere inside the fridge compartment would help, however, at 2017 it's a good guess that it's an aes absorption unit.

Try a few things, with the fridge in auto selection mode, to try to narrow down the issue.

1) Run your engine, does the fridge switch to 12v, does the light stop flashing.
2) Stop the engine (ignition off), after 10-15 min does it switch to gas, do you hear the ignitor clicking, after the clicking do you hear the faint roar of the flame (listen at the outside vent).
3) Book a night at a site with ehu, plug it in, does it switch to 240v and stop flashing?

One other thought, you have turned your gas to the fridge on haven't you?

Cheers
Red.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
2dandaddy
Sep 27, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Hymer 630mlt
Exp
Since September 2017
As has been stated fridge model, somewhere inside the fridge compartment would help, however, at 2017 it's a good guess that it's an aes absorption unit.

Try a few things, with the fridge in auto selection mode, to try to narrow down the issue.

1) Run your engine, does the fridge switch to 12v, does the light stop flashing.
2) Stop the engine (ignition off), after 10-15 min does it switch to gas, do you hear the ignitor clicking, after the clicking do you hear the faint roar of the flame (listen at the outside vent).
3) Book a night at a site with ehu, plug it in, does it switch to 240v and stop flashing?

Cheers
Red.
Thanks for all the replies!
Tried switching on the engine and fridge/ freezer worked! Switched engine off and within 20 minutes started flashing again! Weather has turned for the worse so going home on Friday and will hook up to mains to check operation! Do you have to remove fridge unit to get to connectors! One other thing which is puzzling! Battery pack 6 AA batteries does not appear to have any electrical connections AND has no springs to keep all batteries touching each other?!?! How does that work?

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Sounds like a leisure battery fault if it works with alternator input,could just be a bad connection that the increased voltageovercomes but I would check leisure batteries first

Upvote 0
OP
OP
2dandaddy
Sep 27, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Hymer 630mlt
Exp
Since September 2017
Model no. N- 3142. Absorption

Upvote 0
Aug 15, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT630
Exp
7 years full timing
The 6 batteries compartment is to power the control panel only, it doesn't do anything else.
You need to remove the outside vent, clear any cobwebs and dust, debris. Get a torch and thoroughly check all the wires and connectors you can get to. Check the voltage of your leisure batteries, and check all hab fuses if any have blown. Start at the basics before going in depth. I could write a thesis on fridge woes from my previous van 🙃

Upvote 0
Aug 15, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT630
Exp
7 years full timing
Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2022
Funster No
MH
Cathargo
Exp
Tried switching on the engine and fridge/ freezer worked! Switched engine off and within 20 minutes started flashing again! Weather has turned for the worse so going home on Friday and will hook up to mains to check operation! Do you have to remove fridge unit to get to connectors! One other thing which is puzzling! Battery pack 6 AA batteries does not appear to have any electrical connections AND has no springs to keep all batteries touching each other?!?! How does that work?
Sounds like the gas is not getting through (crash sensor/bottle valve/valve inside van), or there is air in the pipe that needs a few starts to dissipate. Most only run on 12v when the engine is running, not when stopped, which yours seems to be doing, then after 15mins on 12v it should switch to gas if available, and motorhome level enough (Sometimes mine doesnt ignite, and I switch the power off leave 2 mins and switch back on, then it works). EHU should trump the other two if available, and fridge on Auto.

Upvote 0

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
So, we have the following information:-

1) The Fridge works on 12v (this mode is used only when you are driving).
2) We believe, with a reasonable degree of confidence, that it works on 240v (it worked in this mode immediately before you left)
3) You get an error on Gas.

1) Check the gas isolation valve for the fridge, make sure it is in the same position as your gas stove isolation valve, and that your gas stove works.

2) You need to "listen" at the lower outside fridge vent after switching the engine on then off, after a max of 15 min you should hear the rapid clicking of an electrical ignitor.

2b) Immediately after the clicking you should hear a gentle "roar"of the gas flame at the lower outside fridge vent.

Cheers
Red.

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
What was it using as a power source when it worked for 20 minutes after you turned the engine off ?
Presumably not 240 and shouldn't be 12 volt so must be gas ?

Upvote 0

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
What was it using as a power source when it worked for 20 minutes after you turned the engine off ?
An aes fridge doe not run on anything for 15 min after switching the engine off, unless it is then provided with 240v via EHU.

It's a safety feature to try to prevent the gas ignition operating in. fuel stations (it also doesn't error during this period)

Cheers
Red.

Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
When it starts flashing what code is showing on the extreme results of the panel after 15 mins ,I have the same fridge and repair it often as mine does not like 12v ,you have a gas problem ..turn the fridge off leave it a few mins turn it back on select gas manually if it does not light it will show a fault code on the rhs of the panel

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.

My thoughts to. Sounds like a problem with the gas. Is the bottle switched on? Any other isolation valves not switched on?

By the way -you don't HAVE to wait the 15 mins for gas to kick in. It's a safety feature for when you drive into a petrol station to fill up but if, after you have switched the engine off, you switch the fridge off and then on again it will immediately go to gas.

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
Can you establish what the actual problem is by selecting each power source manually and find out what it's not working on. You will need the engine running to try it on 12v. As others said the battery pack is only for operating the controls if you have a 12v hab battery failure. It's only a temporary measure.

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2022
Hartland, Bideford, Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Ixeo 1744
Exp
I’m newbie
Hi
1) Turn fridge power off
2) Try turning all gas knobs off at there terminals
3) then turn gas terminal on only to fridge
4) then after a few seconds turn fridge back on .
This is to force any air out of gas line to fridge.
This worked for me .
Good luck

Upvote 0
OP
OP
2dandaddy
Sep 27, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Hymer 630mlt
Exp
Since September 2017
When you have done the above, check the error codes...

You have to go into service mode, and it gives you an error code.

If the link doesn't work, search for thetford n3000 troubleshooting, on the thetford europe result download the pdf file 👍
Hi
1) Turn fridge power off
2) Try turning all gas knobs off at there terminals
3) then turn gas terminal on only to fridge
4) then after a few seconds turn fridge back on .
This is to force any air out of gas line to fridge.
This worked for me .
Good luck
Hi Eyeballmike - just read your input- really helpful! Will try putting in to service mode and see what happens! Really appreciated, thank you👍

Upvote 0
OP
OP
2dandaddy
Sep 27, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Hymer 630mlt
Exp
Since September 2017

Cheers
Red.
Hi Redframe - thanks for the input! Fridge works when engine running and on 240v hook up! Code 11 comes up on fridge panel when on service mode! Can you tell me where any fuses/relays would be for fridge /freezer?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
2dandaddy
Sep 27, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Hymer 630mlt
Exp
Since September 2017
Your welcome, also your profile says we have the same model mh 🙃
Hi - sorry to bother you again! Fridge works on 240v and when engine is running! I can hear and see igniter working but doesn’t fire up!Put the panel in to service mode and got code 11 up! Think that is no energy source which I presume is 12v supply! No idea where fuse/ relay is situated for fridge! Any ideas?🤞

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back