thermal blind's

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by kontiki48, Mar 3, 2010.

1. kontiki48

kontiki48 Read Only Funster

hi first time on hear,i'm looking to purchase a thermal blind for my kontiki m\home what would you recommend internal or external type and where is a good supplier cost wise, thank's

2. ips

ips Read Only Funster

"Silver screens" seem to be regarded as one of the best, my one is certainly of good quality. I reccomend external as internal can leave marks on your screen from the suckers (so I beleive) :BigGrin:

3. Brisey

Brisey Funster Life Member

Hi kontiki48 and :welcome:to MotorHomeFun.:thumb:

Our preference is for an external screen. Suppliers are Silver Screens, Taylormade and Van Comfort.

flyingwelcome

Brisey

4. iceni

iceni Read Only Funster

Hi There are a few considerations first

Internal are good if you wild park and may need to get away quick without opeining the doors..and they will stay dry

external are better in stopping condensation and will atually stop it completely. They get wet though which can be a pain if theres not much room to store wet soggy screens.
    External are not so good if you need to get away quickly.

Those are the considerations matey

Phill

5. ips

ips Read Only Funster

Doesnt bother me cos I seldom do anything quickly :Rofl1:

6. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

I have both and recommend exterior as I was recommended on fun about 18 months ago the interior I only use when leaving the van during the winter when there is nobody inside using the motorhome..........the only problem is you have to go outside to put the screen on and remove.........mine is silver screen and well pleased although there is anther brand just as good it is up to you I think it is called Taylors but not quite sure....if you use the interior type you still gets lots of condensation.....................I only use mine winter, spring and autumn and, and if it is very sunny and the front of the van is in full sun

Mel

7. kontiki48

thank's for that i have seen the silver screen's advert, i see milenco are doing a deal must check out what the make is,

8. mymotorhome

mymotorhome Read Only Funster

screens

i recently bought milenco external screens for my auo-trail atthe secc glasgow exibition. They fit all vans so are not an exact fit for my van, but will then fit any other van i buy. They work great (i opened the zip part to let some light in during the day, and condensation appears on the inside opposite the opening). had them on for 2 days, absolutley no condensation. cost me £72 at the exhibition.
    peter
    :thumb:

9. motorvating

motorvating Read Only Funster

I bought all the materials and made internal ones myself. Only problem is the sucker marks.

10. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

I totally agree with Phill if you need to get away quickly..use interior "BUT" not good for condensation...and to answer his other comment, yes they get wet and damp, BUT do like I do, what another motorhomer suggested to me, when you take them down in the morning put them in the shower cubicle folded or rolled and stood up and leave all day to drip dry but not in the kit bag, even when you are travelling, as you will not be using the shower till that evening or the following morning......and that is when you have put them back on window for the night...then when you have finished you holidays/trip dry and put away in the kit bag till next time :thumb::thumb:

Mel

11. gwnking

gwnking Read Only Funster

External Silver screens for us too as they make them to fit your motorhome :thumb:

12. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

Also I would add for a quick exit that internals are good if the van next door has a fire.

Doug...

13. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Hi,

Theres a selection of External and Internal screens here, but you can also make your own usinng foil backed insulation and a set of rubber suckers!

Peter

http://www.johnscrossshop.co.uk/categories.php?category=Motorhome-External-Silverscreen-Covers

http://www.johnscrossshop.co.uk/cat...creen-Covers/Motorhome-Internal-Silverscreens

14. kontiki48

hi pete,thank's for info, yes i see they do a universal set to fit most van's by the look's of thing's also had tailored set's, to fit your van etc,i was wondering what make they are,heard there are some cheap rubbish one's ,

15. kontiki48

hi,i dont think i got the skill's to make my own, thank's anyway :thumb:

16. dave jm

dave jm Read Only Funster

Looking around myself for same thing have you tried Steve at Silver Products he quoted me £88 for 08 Fiat Ducato and they roll down or up...Dave

17. MaureenD

MaureenD Read Only Funster

Yes Silver Screens every time. We have had them on two of our m/homes. As Hayupluv said when went put them in shower compartment. No problem

18. kontiki48

thank's dave, just seen milenco are doing tailored set's for the ducato 94...2006 at £50 will have to see what make they are .:thumb:

19. Spacerunner

Spacerunner Read Only Funster

If circumstances dictate that you would be better off using internal screens then it is quite possible to use the external screens internally.

Just hook the side pockets onto the top door corners, shove the front part up against the front screen and drop the sun visors to keep it in place. Push the bottom forward over the dash.
    Not pretty and a bit of a 'faff' but it works.

20. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Hi Kontiki48, glad you found us, welcome to fun, Carol.:Smile: