The Motorhome Wave

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Jim, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Jim

Jim Ringleader

At 12 midday today I was following a large 2012 Autotrail motorhome on my way to the post office in Lampeter. As we were slowly coming into the town, I saw an old H reg, (1990?) Swift Kontiki coming out toward us.

I saw the the driver of the Kontiki, give a casual wave, by raising four fingers while keeping his thumb on the steering wheel, but in the passenger seat was a pretty little 8 year old girl, complete with ponytails, and boy was she waving, with both hands, determined to get a reaction :Smile:

The sudden delight on her face, told me she had got a wave from the Autotrail, and as they passed me I saw her animated as she turned to discuss the encounter with her dad. Lovely....

I have so many fond memories of our kids when they were young, hunting out motorhomes to wave at. Left me at the post office thinking, ...we need to foster some kids:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 14
  2. Gooney

Gooney Funster

Steady on there, steady on now Jim, I think that may be going a bit too far:Doh:

• Like Like x 3
  3. Silkcut1105

Silkcut1105 Funster Life Member

sian told me she takes a big kid camping with her all the time. lol:thumb:

• Like Like x 4
  4. Anna

Anna Read Only Funster

Many moons ago, back in the 1950s, I have many happy
    memories of the annual holidays, travelling with my parents in France, Spain and Italy, in a Vauxhall Victor with all the camping gear on the roof rack and then later, with a Bedford Dormobile (my sleeping area was across the front bench seat with my feet under the steering wheel!). In those days, we waved at any other Brit vehicle, with great excitement as we hardly ever saw any other GBs then. Perhaps that's where the MH wave came from lol! :Wink:
    PS. Still get a kick out of waving but, of course it's only to other MHs now!
    :BigGrin:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
    • Like Like x 5
  5. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

I'm older than 8 and still enjoy a cheery wave as we pass another motorhome :BigGrin::BigGrin:

It seems a shame when people clearly refuse to wave back. You just wonder why some people are that mean-spirited.

Do not seem to get much response from the horse boxes and delivery vans that I inadvertently wave to occasionally.

Also I have to restrain my right arm when passing motorhomes while driving the car :Doh:
    as it just becomes an automatic response!

Wyn

• Like Like x 9
  6. StitchUp

StitchUp Read Only Funster

We love it :BigGrin:

Brought back many happy memories of when we were kids and had a VW and/or were members of the AA or was it The RAC? :Rofl1:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
    • Like Like x 3
  7. rangitira

rangitira Funster

After leaving the Services, while I was waiting for my Seaman's Book to come thro, I took a job driving China Clay Trucks long Distance,. The Company had 17 four Wheelers, 4, 6 wheelers and 3, 8 wheelers, and we waved to each other when meeting on the road.

If driving a 4 wheeler, you raised your hand, a 6 wheeler you waved across half the Windscreen but for an 8:RollEyes: you swept your arm across the Cab as far as you could reach:Cool:

• Like Like x 2
  8. Terry

Terry Funster

At around £450 a week for each kid I am surprised the imports have not cottened on :BigGrin:
    Granson hates us waving :Rofl1: your more likly to get a finger off him than a wave :BigGrin: must say it gives us great pleasure watching the faces of kids when you wave,even if they are in the back of a bus :Wink::BigGrin:
    terry

9. thehutchies

thehutchies Funster

Right, we're on the way.
    How many do you want?

:Laughing:

• Like Like x 1
  10. PenelopePitstop

PenelopePitstop Funster Life Member

We've given up waving since we got the WildAx - we look just like a white delivery van and no-one waves back at us anymore :cry::cry::cry:

• Like Like x 2
  11. movan

movan Funster Life Member

:Rofl1: Yep and the Gaslec vans don't wave back either!!!:BigGrin:

I am pleased to know that my waving gives the kids something to smile about :Smile: ... especially when I nearly go down a hole in the road cos I'm too busy concentrating on the wave...:Sad::Doh:

12. MrJinks

MrJinks Read Only Funster

That sounds like me.
    Although not camping, we also used to travel down through France, Switzerland and Italy in the late 50's & early 60's . My dad driving an old Humber Hawk and later coincidently a Vauxhall Victor (we lived in Luton:Wink:). I used to be enthralled at all the places we passed and all the different vehicles on the road. My job was GB lookout and we would wave frantically and flash lights at any ones that passed. It was a 5 day journey to get to our destination near Viariggio. No motorways in those days. Great memories :Smile:

How sad that now my grandkids never look up from their DSs when travelling in car. :shout:

13. chaser

chaser Funster

Thats just the opposite to us , allways had van conversions before usualy homemade , no one ever waved to us but when we got the new van we thought something must be wrong (rooflight up or somthing) when folks kept waving

• Like Like x 2
  14. 1_man_and_his_dob(lo)

1_man_and_his_dob(lo) Funster

Welcome to the club :Sad:

I've been behind a coachbuild, and several motorhomes coming in the opposite direction have waved at that and then totally ignored me :cry:

And.....no names.....I've been with a bunch of Funsters in a minibus, who've waved at coachbuilds.....and then ignored a PVC!!!!! :Eek!:

I tell you...they're all snobs on this forum....:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

Know your place young man. Know your place:BigGrin::Wink:

• Like Like x 1
  16. lindylou

lindylou Funster

We always wave. And yes often have the urge to wave when in the car. Sure any motorhome waver will understand if I did.

Lin

17. duane0001

duane0001 Read Only Funster

I would imagine you get more waves in a coach built or A class then the likes of me in a van conversion because van conversions are not as easy to spot

18. ericonabike

ericonabike Read Only Funster

I'm amazed how many folk wave at me as I'm cycling along. Very animated waves, often accompanied by shouts of encouragement - at least I assume it's encouragement from the animated expressions on their faces. Happens far more often when I'm on the bike than when in in the motorhome, which is nice I guess...

19. grasscutter

grasscutter Funster Life Member

I think that the Queen is a secret funster. Wherever she goes I see her waving.

• Like Like x 3
  20. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

The VW camper wave took us by surprise when we first got one - you used to get looneys waving at you across six lanes of motorway traffic, such was the dedication. However we rarely got a wave from owners of type 3s for some reason, only bays and splitties. Must be some sort of hierarchy there.

We also used to get the surfer shaka salute a lot - thumb and little finger.

It seems a bit silly waving to VWs now as it's all a bit tribal, but I usually wave to other MHs, including on the continent.

I also saw an interesting variant of the MH wave whilst driving near Whitby last October. The other driver had his index finger pointing upwards and was jabbing it at the sky. Then I realised my ****ing satellite dish was still up.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013