The Malvern Adventure Starts... I'm On My Way... (2 Viewers)

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Brilliant spot JJ we agree but why can I only get half of one picture and where are the other 18 please

I have no idea Alan... I suspect the Chinese Web Servers are cross with my maternal Grandfather (who made his fortune in Shanghai before the revolution) and are blocking half my photos... :winky:

I am really surprised by the fact that it is now raining here in Wales... is this usual?

JJ :Cool:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Needless to say the sun is shining here in Devon. glad to see you all arrived in one piece. Frankie, Dave will soon fatten you up with his oatcakes, pikelets and cheese etc I know you are wasting away. I hope you are ready for it.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Piklets for supper last night, followed by cheese and a drop of red. Oatcakes cheese and bacon for breakfast, but JJ abstained as he is looking after his figure :ROFLMAO:.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Piklets for supper last night, followed by cheese and a drop of red. Oatcakes cheese and bacon for breakfast, but JJ abstained as he is looking after his figure :ROFLMAO:.

Please what are Piklets :Smile:

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
since 2004 caravans before that
Please what are Piklets :Smile:

When I lived in the London area I ate crumpets. When I moved to Staffordshire the Brummy I live with called them Pikelets. Funny old lot up here.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
When I lived in the London area I ate crumpets. When I moved to Staffordshire the Brummy I live with called them Pikelets. Funny old lot up here.

No, no, no. Crumpets are much thicker with air holes to soak up the butter. No fruit in crumpets either.

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
since 2004 caravans before that
Thers more to this crumpet thing than meets the eye

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crumpet

Interesting website. It reminded me that down south you could also buy a very thin square crumpet looking thing that was called a pikelet. NO FRUIT! That seems to be a Scottish idea. Seems the further north you go the more the pikelet changes.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
No, no, no. Crumpets are much thicker with air holes to soak up the butter. No fruit in crumpets either.

Well Dave it must depend were you live...we have had pikelets all out lives thinner than crumpets but look very similar....and NO fruit:Eeek:....In fact I have never heard or seen any pikelets with fruit in ....untill you have just mentioned it :thumb: it could be regional thing..yours are more like a scotch pan cake or a drop scone

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2013
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit 160
Exp
Since 2013
Apparently it's a Staffordshire thing. They are more of an oatcake with fruit as opposed to a crumpet/pancake. :thumb:

Don't know how to attach a link but if you Google 'Staffordshire Pikelet' there are recipes and where you can buy them::bigsmile:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
The traditional Potteries oatcake and pikelet shops were in every street years ago. They made them in the back room and sold them through the front sash window straight onto the street. The recipes were a closely guarded secret as there was a lot of cash made from the oatcake business. Oatcake shops were only open a few days each week and they were always part of the traditional Sunday breakfast. The downside is they will not keep for more than a couple of days unless frozen. When I was overwintering in Spain and flew home for any reason I had to take a suitcase full back with me. They are now flown all over Europe during the Potteries holidays as Potters cannot survive more than a few days without there fix .

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
This oatcake stuff might well be a speciality for the normal people of the Midlands and the wastelands of North but we cultured, landed gentry of the sophisticated South have developed more educated palettes...

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
This oatcake stuff might well be a speciality for the normal people of the Midlands and the wastelands of North but we cultured, landed gentry of the sophisticated South have developed more educated palettes...

I must admit defeat there JJ. It would take far more than an oatcake to tempt the jaded palate of a Fray Bentos pie connoisseur :Blush:

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Well Dave it must depend were you live...we have had pikelets all out lives thinner than crumpets but look very similar....and NO fruit:Eeek:....In fact I have never heard or seen any pikelets with fruit in ....untill you have just mentioned it :thumb: it could be regional thing..yours are more like a scotch pan cake or a drop scone

Quite right Mel! That is my description of a pikelet. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008

You are obviously an artist JJ!

Catherine

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Nearly ready to start last leg of the Malvern outward journey.

Black, grey and fresh water chores to be done... farewells to be carried out and then...

Off we go...

Attachments

• 20130811_174912.jpg
    20130811_174912.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 61
  • 20130812_203113.jpg
    20130812_203113.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Malvern Meet is over...:cry:

After a dreadful drive to Manchester (blocked M6) and a wonderful footy match :Smile: we are heading back towards less crowded countries.

About to move from Marine Parade to the dock for the 2.20 am sailing.

Economics forced me to break my promise to myself always to use the tunnel.

Tunnel = £190... Ferry = £40.

Thanks to all the Funster friends who made the meet so wonderful for us.

JJ

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
It was good to see both Frankie and yourself again JJ.::bigsmile:
We wish you a safe onward journey and look forward to the next time.:thumb:
Best wishes to you both.

Brisey & Pamelaaar.

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Thanks for the good wishes...

I know why I prefer the tunnel!!!

Smooth crossing but the whole process takes forever.

Stopped for a rest/sleep 40kms north of Abbeville.

This morning our problems were as follows...

No internet on Frankie's phone as the guy in the UK EE shop had changed them and they did not go back to normal automatically when Frankie put in her French SIM card...

Very low on diesel...

Low on gas.

Research via Frankie's mum led us to Abbeville centre and a phone shop... couldn't help but gave a telephone number. Now all sorted (hence this post.)

Found a Super U filling station and filled with diesel and gas.

Now stopped for lunch.

Nice and sunny. No traffic jams. Overtaken one K reg Brit camper and two tractors (one was cutting the grass verges but we are counting it...)

Heading for a special rock and a natural arch in the sea.

Attachments

• 20130821_132335.jpg
    20130821_132335.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Smooth crossing but the whole process takes forever.

Time to relax and switch to EU mode.

Time to stand at the back holding your loved one's hand watching your homeland disappear into the mist and think of warm sunny places and a good shag.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back