Paul240

Free Member
Apr 27, 2017
Nivillac
Funster No
MH
Laika
Exp
Hope I'm in the right section! Admins please advise if not.
So after my intro, I decided to start a thread to highlight how things go with my new purchase , quite a few niggles to sort, but hey can't complain as budget decrees......

The Jalopy is a 2002 Laika motor home on an Iveco Daily twin rear wheels. Purchased on 28/04/17 with just about 100k miles on it. 2.8TD , Fiat or Ford? Not sure.... But think Fiat.... Got a full cambelt kit change and oil and filter into the deal, no idea yet of cambelt intervals , but should be good for a few years.

Jobs to do?
General clean up of exterior , done front, well bonnet and lower trim today. Little by little is the way! Big beasties these, lol
Electric step not working, got a plastic two step for now . Looks very neglected does the mechanism .
Radio signal is very weak and the CD just shows 'disc error ' when loaded. Blaupunkt unit.
Got a feint whiff of diesel fumes in the cabin on start up.
The idea is to update this as a sort of 'blog' as things progress...... Hope that's okay?
Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    173.6 KB · Views: 271
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    170.6 KB · Views: 259
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    167.6 KB · Views: 268
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    181.5 KB · Views: 259
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    146.5 KB · Views: 258
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    198.2 KB · Views: 255
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    93.2 KB · Views: 258
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    180.7 KB · Views: 259
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    213.1 KB · Views: 263
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    228.4 KB · Views: 259

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Hello and welcome and enjoy your new van. Happy and safe travels.:WelcomeFlag:

OP
OP
Paul240

Paul240

Free Member
Apr 27, 2017
Nivillac
Funster No
MH
Laika
Exp
Welcome aboard.
Looks pretty good and a nice interior layout. Is it your first venture into motorhoming ?

Yep! Have driven big-ish vans and personnel carriers in a previous life. Had three caravans before, but this is my 1st motor home . I'm-laws have had quite a few, in the past and we used to meet up with our caravans , so not going in 'blindly'

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Hello and welcome, lovely looking van, hope you get all your niggles sorted out, most of all get out there and use it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Jobs to do?
General clean up of exterior , done front, well bonnet and lower trim today. Little by little is the way! Big beasties these, lol
Electric step not working, got a plastic two step for now . Looks very neglected does the mechanism .
Radio signal is very weak and the CD just shows 'disc error ' when loaded. Blaupunkt unit.
Got a feint whiff of diesel fumes in the cabin on start up.
The idea is to update this as a sort of 'blog' as things progress...... Hope that's okay?
Thanks for looking.

Love it !
For me, if I bought a van that required zero work, and never went wrong, I would be bored silly and would proly have long since given up on motorhoming !
Enjoy the fettle :)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I see you went for the one with the pre-installed pole dancing pole! :D

Sep 22, 2009
nottingham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
Welcome, a tidy looking van. If you are planning to keep posting as a blog you will need to subscribe as you will soon use up your free posts.Looking forward to watching the progress.

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Hi Paul,what a great intro,looks a good solid old bus,should last a good while,w2fenjoy the forum and your van.

OP
OP
Paul240

Paul240

Free Member
Apr 27, 2017
Nivillac
Funster No
MH
Laika
Exp
image.jpeg image.jpeg Still tidying things up. Door mirrors looking a bit 'tat' . Going for a bit of black Hammerite here I think.

Oh, the radio is now working. I found the aerial has an earth to the battery neg terminal. It was well cruddy. A quick clean up and hey-presto..... CD still shows error message. I think that will be the lens being dirty. Not too worried on that score, as I shall be streaming Radio 2 through a Bluetooth speaker whilst over here. And now when back in the UK I shall be able to listen using the radio. Little by little.....

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Looks lovely already. Looking forward to all your updates. :)

OP
OP
Paul240

Paul240

Free Member
Apr 27, 2017
Nivillac
Funster No
MH
Laika
Exp
We took The Jalopy for his first outing yesterday! Just an afternoon to a local-ish venue where you can wildpark next to the River Vilaine. About 1/2 an hours run, thats all. A lazy lunch followed by walking the dogs. Then a cuppa before trundling home. All went well. Gave us a chance to see how the dogs coped in their newly installed cages (they are 'caged trained' and use their indoor ones by choice). The cages are fixed in, incase you were wandering.
It all went well & the dogs got to swim too..... Well 2 did, ones a big girls blouse, lol.Vans 1st outing 3.jpg Vans 1st outing 2.jpg Dogs Van.jpg Van 1st outing 1.jpg

OP
OP
Paul240

Paul240

Free Member
Apr 27, 2017
Nivillac
Funster No
MH
Laika
Exp
Laika 2.jpg Laika 1.jpg Laika 1.jpg Laika 1.jpg Laika 2.jpg Laika 3.jpg Laika 4.jpg Laika 5.jpg Well, we have planned our 1st proper outing.....as in overnighters. This weekend. Out Sat & return Monday. Then Tuesday is a workday for SWMBO, then out Wednesday back Sunday. Looking forward to that.

During the meanwhilst a little more 'fettling'..... Noticed that after giving the gas a good test with fridge , freezer and hot water for a day...... That the gas pipe flexi had 'Remplacer avant 2011' marked on it!!!! So I've done that slightly overdue job!

Have given the tatty mirrors one coat of Hammerite, looking better, another coat to do.

Inside, a damn good clean up. The vents were as manky as 10, took the fly screens off to get all the leaves and crud out. The back door night screen, well I reckon thats been on like forever!

Removed the beds undersheet & the curtain / surround for a wash. All in all looking much better.
Laika 3.jpg Laika 4.jpg Laika 5.jpg

Opps, double posted some pics, sozo_O

H

Hagstrom

Deleted User
It's (60!) years since I first heard my Dad talk about getting a new Jalopy - the term seems to have gone out of use now.

OP
OP
Paul240

Paul240

Free Member
Apr 27, 2017
Nivillac
Funster No
MH
Laika
Exp
Well 1st break 'in anger' to see what's what etc.... Ended like this! Smoke in the cabin, hopefully just blower heater motor burnt out, as it conked just before smokey-ness! The Jalopy is at an Iveco garage. I await the 'damage'. 1st break Oh Please!!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    148.7 KB · Views: 41
OP
OP
Paul240

Paul240

Free Member
Apr 27, 2017
Nivillac
Funster No
MH
Laika
Exp
Still in the garage. They had to chase burnt wiring back to the fuse board & the board needs replacing. Waiting for delivery of the parts. Should be back on the road by next Wedsnesday, which is about par for here . 716 euros is the cost. Sort of ball park to what I was expecting.
Good news is that I asked them to look into the dead electric step and do an estimate . They THINK they've sorted it. Found broken wiring. They've repaired that in the cost but can't test it until the fuse board is back in place.
Fingers crossed.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Pleased to see you had it back, fingers crossed all will be good now and you can enjoy it.

OP
OP
Paul240

Paul240

Free Member
Apr 27, 2017
Nivillac
Funster No
MH
Laika
Exp
:DYep, I can feel the Hammerite coming on

OP
OP
Paul240

Paul240

Free Member
Apr 27, 2017
Nivillac
Funster No
MH
Laika
Exp
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg So whilst at the garage picking The Jalopy up, and having read about the differential on these Iveco beasts seizing if not maintained. I decided to get some diff' oil. Did the deed yesterday . The stuff that came out was really black , very gloopy & stank! Good news is that they take 2ltrs and that is exactly the ammount that came out. 2ltrs of fresh Amber nectar in place.
Next outing for TJ? Well we're off tomorrow back Monday, heading west into Finistere region of Brittany.
No more scares now TJ!!

OP
OP
Paul240

Paul240

Free Member
Apr 27, 2017
Nivillac
Funster No
MH
Laika
Exp
:D:D:D:):DWe decided to stay another night. Had a successful journey including stopping at a Motorhome place to order a couple of bits, new bathroom tap and a new seal for the loo (bit pongy ).
Only about 120 mile run. Been out today to explore the delights of emptying black and grey!
Back at the site now, it's peeing it down, blummin luvvin it!

OP
OP
Paul240

Paul240

Free Member
Apr 27, 2017
Nivillac
Funster No
MH
Laika
Exp
Well, plans underway for a trip to UK next month . Have taken TJ back to the Iveco garage for a full service , so all ready to go.
Plan is from here in Southern Brittany up to Calais for the tunnel. Will do a one night stop-over on this run.
Then onto Forest Row for a one night , to tie in a visit.
Next up to Knutsford area for a stop over. Then continue up the M6 to Cumbria, then across to The Solway Firth to visit the in-laws at Silloth. 4-5 nights there, before heading south to Derby to see my Mum. Picking up a car I bagged from carsandclassics web-site which is waiting in Mums garage for me. Couple of nights there, before returning in 'convoy' to the Tunnel, stopping over near Folkstone and then again a stop over in France before heading back here again. Go TJ.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back