The Great Dorset Steam Fair (1 Viewer)

Northy

Free Member
Jul 15, 2009
West Yorkshire
Funster No
Exp
Anybody any advice on attending this event, its my first time there and I will be arriving Friday 4/9 for the weekend. I understand that it can be a bit uneven as the site is normally used as agricultural land, will I need extra levelling blocks? Any other words of wisdom would be most welcome. I think I've seen it on a thread before but can't find it.

::bigsmile::Cool::Smile:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
If the ground in Dorset is a wet as the ground in Devon you will need pads under your rear wheels to stop from sinking in, bakers bread trays do the job. Also make sure you have a tow rope and someplace to attach it to without grovelling in the mud, good luck.

B

BelAir

Deleted User
You will undoubtedly need levelling blocks as the camp site is on a sloping field, usually of stubble at this time of the year. It does drain very quickly (if it ever stops raining that is) as the ground is very chalky. Keep everything tied town and locked up as there is always a travellers camp there and outside furniture mysteriously disappears! Last year the organisers were asked for extra security and so they sent what looked like a sixteen year old girl to deal with any problems. You do need tickets for every day, but we have found that we are allowed in on the evening we arrive (Wednesday this year) without one so long as you go in via the camp site gate. We have been most years for the last twenty or so and always enjoy it, it just gets bigger and better each year. There is a huge amount to look at so wear comfortable shoes and take something to sit on to watch the displays.

Enjoy!!!!!!

BelAir

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Supertractorman

Free Member
Sep 7, 2007
Funster No
I used to take tractors to this event and my memories were either mud getting towed in or out, otherwise it was dust storms with every movement of a vehicle. Best advice is take a rope and wellies just in case and have a great weekend. The Fun fair at night is a spectacle with steam engines and colourful lighting from the rides and music from the fairground organs, with the steam traction engines climbing hills towing trailers with tree trunks in the distance in the dark with the firemen shovelling sawdust on the fire to create sparks up the chimney. Fantastic atmosphere.

OP
OP
Northy

Northy

Free Member
Jul 15, 2009
West Yorkshire
Funster No
Exp
Thanks for the advice, drove past the site today and it all looks pretty dry, I hope it stays that way for the fair. Been wanting to go for the last few years but it hasn't just happened for me! Really looking forward to it all booked in and raring to go. Thanks to everybody who offered advice.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back