DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Using an aire in France, at Dompierre-sur-Besbre near the Loire, I came across something stuck on top of an All the Aires sticker from Vicarious Books.
Thinking it must be from a rival guide I removed it then as I was filling water I looked at it again.

OI000076.jpg

The French says:

"Faites-le savoir ! Le mot CAMPING-CAR est un faux anglicisme.
Le terme Français est AUTOCARAVANE"

Which translates I think (not sure of the first bit) to:

"Do it! The word CAMPING-CAR is a false Anglicism (Anglicisation). The French term is autocaravan"

"Caravane" is a French word from which our own word "caravan" is derived. So I think we should retaliate by banning the term "Motor caravan" on the basis it uses a French word and logically we should also ban the term caravan too. :)

Reactions: Jim

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Persian originally ? :

cara|van
[ˈkarəvan, karəˈvan]
mobile home · camper · caravanette · trailer · van ·
Dormobile

• a covered horse-drawn wagon:
    "a Gypsy caravan"
    synonyms: wagon · covered cart · van
  • NORTH AMERICAN
    a covered lorry.

Origin
late 15th cent. (in sense 2): from French caravane, from Persian kārwān. The sense ‘covered horse-drawn wagon’ dates from the early 19th cent.

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Persian originally ? :

cara|van
[ˈkarəvan, karəˈvan]
mobile home · camper · caravanette · trailer · van ·
Dormobile

• a covered horse-drawn wagon:
    "a Gypsy caravan"
    synonyms: wagon · covered cart · van
  • NORTH AMERICAN
    a covered lorry.
Origin
late 15th cent. (in sense 2): from French caravane, from Persian kārwān. The sense ‘covered horse-drawn wagon’ dates from the early 19th cent.
Indeed, Persian originally but came to us via the French I think. But at least "motor" is safe for us to use, :) originally Latin then to English. And "home" is originally German. So "motorhome" uses German and Latin and is refreshingly free of French influence. :)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We stayed on some aires which were reserved places on car parks marked Camping Cars Only, maybe the label is used by a French cultural group or the like.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Why do their roadsigns say "Aire de Camping Car" then?
There used to be a committee in France, and there may still be, which used to fight to preserve the French language from English influence. They were obviously having a day off when camping-car was adopted. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Huwmari

Free Member
Jul 26, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 201
Exp
since Apr 2013
Using an aire in France, at Dompierre-sur-Besbre near the Loire, I came across something stuck on top of an All the Aires sticker from Vicarious Books.
Thinking it must be from a rival guide I removed it then as I was filling water I looked at it again.

View attachment 164497

The French says:

"Do it! The word CAMPING-CAR is a false Anglicism (Anglicisation). The French term is autocaravan"

"Caravane" is a French word from which our own word "caravan" is derived. So I think we should retaliate by banning the term "Motor caravan" on the basis it uses a French word and logically we should also ban the term caravan too. :)
I think the first bit translates as "let it be known" or "be aware" or something like that.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
There used to be a committee in France, and there may still be, which used to fight to preserve the French language from English influence. They were obviously having a day off when camping-car was adopted. :)

Like our neighbours over in Wales, sorry Cymru ;)

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Unfortunately the French have language Nazis and bigots the same as any other country, including the English.

Pay it no heed
No the French have an actual authority. The last I heard they had made an announcement on cedillas (the squiggly bit as in garçon)
It is the French who cannot live with not having the lingua franca (Juncker in his delusional state playing to their gallery recently) which is why they called CD's, DC's and NATO, OTAN. Nuts; as the Germans and Italians go with the flow.
There is no English speaking equivalent.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Académie_française
I am sure the French Canadians have a similar authority.
Found it - The Quebecoids have Law 101
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charter_of_the_French_Language
English is not even the formal language of England or the UK so this time we cannot take the blame.

Last edited:

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Quelle surprise. It was probably put there by an enfant terrible with an idée fixe, looking to start a contretemps. But this kind of patois is a fait accompli, and it would be a faux pas to try to effect a volte-face now. C'est la vie!

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I hope the authority doesn't catch anyone using aires autocaravane at le weekend then.

Le terme Francais est fin de semaine, n'est pas? :france:

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Ahh, now if you want to wind people up:

What we call a French Horn (music, dear boy) is called a course Anglais in France
What we call a French letter is sometimes referred to as a capot Anglais out there
What we call rendezvous they also call it the same (it is a French word), as is cul de sac, as are Bourgeois, Brunette, Cafatiere, Cafateria, Chauffeur, Cafe, Chic, Critique, Depot, Déjà vu, Eau de Cologne etc, etc, etc

Lacking a precise word for a weekend (fin de semain - end of week) they tend to use the English word.

The word denim actually derives from serge de Nim

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
We need @yodeli ''s perspective!

I should also add this is all meant in FUN. I'm in France at the moment having a good time!

You'd be amazed to see the many many many words English language has taken from French. Buy yourself an Oxford Dictionnary and you'll see!!!

Even the Royal Motto is French ! LOL ! Honni soit qui mal y pense !

Back to the sticker , "Faites le savoir" means "Pass it on" . Some people can be very fussy. They make a fuss about camping-car and then go to the supermarket and park on the "PARKING" . Do they try to find the french word for this one? NO! All the languages have more or less the same roots, mainly Greek and Latin so there! Let them talk!:rolleyes: They can't harm a lot ;)(y):D

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp

View attachment 164497

The French says:

I think the car is from autocar which is French for a coach.. as in bus.

Camping-Car may equate to a ' Coach for Camping'...

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
French Canadians call KFC, PFK, (Poulet Frit Kentucky), they don't even call it PFK in Paris Oh Please!. :rolleyes:

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
French Canadians call KFC, PFK, (Poulet Frit Kentucky), they don't even call it PFK in Paris Oh Please!. :rolleyes:
Interesting that because KFC is now the official name of the company (not Kentucky...) the same as BP and BT are no longer British... In that case the name should be changed back to KFC :)

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You'd be amazed to see the many many many words English language has taken from French. Buy yourself an Oxford Dictionnary and you'll see!!!

Even the Royal Motto is French ! LOL ! Honni soit qui mal y pense !

Back to the sticker , "Faites le savoir" means "Pass it on" . Some people can be very fussy. They make a fuss about camping-car and then go to the supermarket and park on the "PARKING" . Do they try to find the french word for this one? NO! All the languages have more or less the same roots, mainly Greek and Latin so there! Let them talk!:rolleyes: They can't harm a lot ;)(y):D
Thank you! We have them in the UK. There is someone in Bristol who goes around correcting apostrophes on signs - a harmless pursuit. Unfortunately, he describes himself as a "grammar activist" but the use of the apostrophe is nothing to do with grammar.
Oops....

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I don't camp in my van.

I live in it.

So...

It is NOT a camper or a camping car.

It is my home.

It has a motor to move it around so it is my motorhome.

It has all the facilities I could ever need so it is my...

Luxury Motorhome.

JJ :cool:

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Thank you! We have them in the UK. There is someone in Bristol who goes around correcting apostrophes on signs - a harmless pursuit. Unfortunately, he describes himself as a "grammar activist" but the use of the apostrophe is nothing to do with grammar.
Oops....
The difference, one being the odd bod and the other enforcement by the Government - big difference.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Of course, from the (erm) President of the USA at the time, George W Bush.
That's the trouble with the French, they don't have a word for entrepreneur.

Deleted User
Michel Thomas (excellent relaxing language courses) says that 60% of the words in the English language are of French origin.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I don't camp in my van.

I live in it.

So...

It is NOT a camper or a camping car.

It is my home.

It has a motor to move it around so it is my motorhome.

It has all the facilities I could ever need so it is my...

Luxury Motorhome.

JJ :cool:

Its an FB Motorhome :D

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Oops....
IMG_1272.JPG

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back