The dash cams have arrived !!! (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Whilst I appreciate the payment I am afraid you are several days too late Adders me old china.
I shall do a refund tomorrow for you..

Apr 23, 2014
Spain ??
Funster No
MH
Ice cream van
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks John mines arrived too.. Just found it on the side of the house been there since Saturday lol we got back Sunday evening found a Hermes label saying was put to the side but also had a parcel delivered from ebay which was on the doorstep thought that was it till reading the posts and the courier you used so this morning at 7am I went to the side of the house and hey presto Hermes package :D
Will have a gander later but looks good Many Thanks for procuring them,,
P.s what size SD card is advisable ?

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Whilst I appreciate the payment I am afraid you are several days too late Adders me old china.
I shall do a refund tomorrow for you..

John, after I sold my spare I set up a 3 way conversation between me, Adders who had also asked for mine, and Terryl who had posted he had a spare. It seems Adders has not joined in the conversation. Adders are you receiving me?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Thanks John mines arrived too.. Just found it on the side of the house been there since Saturday lol we got back Sunday evening found a Hermes label saying was put to the side but also had a parcel delivered from ebay which was on the doorstep thought that was it till reading the posts and the courier you used so this morning at 7am I went to the side of the house and hey presto Hermes package :D
Will have a gander later but looks good Many Thanks for procuring them,,
P.s what size SD card is advisable ?

I tend to use a small card.. In fact for the past couple of years in my old unit I have had a 4 gig one ( I think ! )
As I have no intention of using the gathered footage for anything other than in an emergency situation and the units record in quite small segments that is really all I need.

BUT !
If you want to review the whole journey a 32gig one will give you ( at a guess ) about 5 hours of video :)

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Mine came this morning - look forward to many happy hours working it all out! Thanks Jaws!

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
I took mine for a more detailed test drive today and these are my findings;

1. Positioning of Camera

I found that the camera gives best exposure performance when mounted high up on the windscreen. This means that the lens is pointed downwards this gives a better exposure of the road with it mounted on the dashboard I found that the exposure was metered towards the sky with the road being underexposed. This may not be a problem with blue skies but todays bright grey/white cloudy sky certainly under exposed the road area when mounted lower.

2. GPS Data

The GPS data only starts being recorded some 5.5 mins after switch on so If you are doing a lot of stop/start local driving you may not record anything at all, each time you switch off it loses the GPS even for the shortest switch off. The advert for a similar one Broken Link Removed says it can take 5 - 15 minute to start recording data

3. Computer Software

When plugging the card into a pc you only see an icon for x2player this is self explanatory software and easy to use. Enabling exporting of the recordings if required.
I had a problem with windows vista however. I have a laptop and a desktop pc both running vista on the laptop the x2 software would not let me delete files, it said that the card was locked. The Desktop PC would not recognise the card at all. Switching to a windows 7 laptop and all worked ok. I have tried a normally formatted card in the vista machines and they are recognised ok. So there must be something about the format of camera card that my vista machines doesnot like.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I find a LOT of issues with micro SD cards saying the card is locked in both Vista and 7
I do not think it has anything to do with the card or the way it is formatted but more to do with the bloody SD cards !
This morning, doing other stuff not related to the dash cams, I had to try 4 different micro SD carriers to find one that worked !

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Mine arrived today - even my techy kids are impressed !

Thanks again
  • (y)

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Well suited with the camera but has anyone found a way of getting the media player, with Windows 7, to go in to full screen or am I chasing rainbows

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
I don't think it will go full screen. If you want to view full screen you will have to export the video to your pc and use media player.

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Since getting the camera I have been using it in the car and it all works well. This weekend has been the first time I have been able to use the camera in the van and the GPS did not work. Putting it back in the car and it works fine.

The only thing I can think of is that the van is and A class and the windscreen does not have the rake that the car does and the gps unit cannot see enough of the sky anyone else had this problem, or can give me some idea how to fix it.

john

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Yup, the GPS is fairly basic and does require a decent line of sight.. Actually, the ideal place for the antenna is on the roof !

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Since getting the camera I have been using it in the car and it all works well. This weekend has been the first time I have been able to use the camera in the van and the GPS did not work. Putting it back in the car and it works fine.

The only thing I can think of is that the van is and A class and the windscreen does not have the rake that the car does and the gps unit cannot see enough of the sky anyone else had this problem, or can give me some idea how to fix it.

john

Hi, it was difficult to place ours (also an A class) so for now, have put it on the lower part of the windscreen just above the windscreen wipers with the GPS receiver simply there alongside on top of the dash. It seems to pick up a signal ok, but I guess that the GPS is a bit of a bonus

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
John will you be getting any more dash cams? If so Tonka on fun would like one.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back