The Cab Bunk

Discussion in 'Motorhome Accessories' started by steveclecy, Aug 24, 2013.

1. steveclecy

steveclecy Read Only Funster

Anyone see these featured in this months Caravan Club magazine?

Simply a hammock with one side secured over the headrests of the reversed front swivel seats.

Looks a handy solution to us. We have four belted seats but just three bunks.

Steve

• Like Like x 4
  2. mike mcglynn

mike mcglynn Funster Life Member

Cab Bunk

Hi, Steve we had one of those 40 years ago in a hired vw camper very comfy but that was 7 stone ago :Laughing:

• Like Like x 2
  3. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Not a new idea! Invented by Westfalia I believe!:BigGrin:

But, a neat solution for an extra bunk!:thumb:

4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

how does it work if you only have one full height bulkhead behind the seats. :Rofl1:

5. steveclecy

steveclecy Read Only Funster

Having just googled your vehicle, I feel quite certain you are not in desperate need of a put-you-up style bunk!

Steve

6. Geordies

Geordies Funster

Looks like a great idea, which may have just changed the spec. of the motorhome we're looking for !!

7. vwalan

vwalan Funster

there are various ways it was done with a vw. holes in the window and door pillars you slipped a spiked pole . some rested on half cup style brackets . some had hooks that hooked over another hook fixed to the door . pillars .
    my dad had some in a bedford ca we took to italy one year way back in the early 60,s . my brother used the bunk, i had to sleep on the front seats under the bunk . those were the days.
    is there really any new ideas out there .or are they just reinventing the wheel .?

• Like Like x 1
  8. DethleffsOwnersClubUK

DethleffsOwnersClubUK Read Only Funster

Cabbunks or children's extra cab beds

Hi, I am new to MHFun.
    I think that those funsters comparing the old two-pole hammocks for VW's haven't seen the photos of the Cabbunk. It is unique in allowing the use of the cab for a double bunk and uses the swivel seats facing backwards into the 'van'.
    It allows the lounge/dinette to still be used while the kids are in bed and it avoids the 'jigsaw' bed making!
    In short, 'Grampers' can keep their lovely, elegant van but still offer to take the little'uns away.

Yes, I am biased, I invented and developed and patented the Cabbunk! Please make your own minds up after looking at the pics. BUT PLEASE, there is no way that it is copied, it is unique and we are manufacturing in Derbyshire and looking to export to Europe in the next couple of years. Sorry to preach, the VW guys touched a nerve!!
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  9. grasscutter

grasscutter Funster Life Member

As others have said, we used to sleep the kids in one thirty odd years ago in our VW.
    No elevating roof, two adults, two kids and a dog plus all our gear etc. Now we have a six berth for the two of us and we sail close to the weight limit. How times change.:Rofl1:

10. daisy mae

daisy mae Read Only Funster

when myfour girls were young we had a Lunar six berth caravan, it had two lots of longitude settees one at the front end and one at the rear, over the two rear ones we had hammocks , canvas on two poles that fitted into cup brackets above the two settees making two double bunks, tey came with the caravan made by Lunar, the girls loved it.:BigGrin: easy to erect and just as easy to put away in the day time.