That b$&%"y handbrake!! (1 Viewer)

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
Ongoing trouble getting my h/brake to work on my 2007 Relay.Did the usual stuff --slacken off cables-fitted new discs/linings-adjusted linings then took up play in cables.I did notice that the handbrake itself had bent the bracket and was leaning out towards the door -looks like a design fault so welded a brace to stiffen it up. I have been pulling the h/brake on as I drive to bed linings in as well.Anything else I can try or is it a bad design as the diameter of the drum seems too small to hold a 3 ton + van .

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Had exactly the same problem on my 2007 Fiat X250 based Hymer. Failed MOT with efficiencies of 13% one side and 16% on the other.

Took it to Brownhills (don't ask) and they diagnosed stretched cables plus mobile mechanic had adjusted the shoes too tight on the drum which had cooked them.

So, after new cables and shoes it passed. Asked the testing station if the had many problems with these 'Top hat' brakes on Sevel vehicles and was told only on motorhomes, presumably due to the increased weight.

Ps - advised that non original shoes are not up to scratch, must admit the mobile chap brought new non Fiat shoes which had about 50% of depth of the originals.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Chris51
Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
Can anyone explain the Fiat recommended way of adjusting the h/brake as I have failed to download it.It has been advised to NEVER pull h/brake on when moving as this will damage the pads?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back