Tesco LCD TV saga

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Mike-H, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Mike-H

Mike-H Deleted User

After lots of research I decided to buy a 19" LCD TV with built in DVD and Freeview from my local Tesco. Only 145 quid, a bargain I thought. Well, I found said tv on the shelf and to my surprise, it was now priced at 129.97. So, I tried to buy one.

The assistant said he`d have to get a manager because he couldn`t find any in stock. The manager said they only had the one on display left but if I wanted to buy that one she would reduce the price by 10%. One caveat, Tesco could not honour the warranty at all as its ex-display. The manager said I would only get the manufacturers warranty.

I suggested I`d ask trading standards because I wondered if Tesco (or any store) could sell anything without honouring a warranty. The manager said yes, they could because there was "a warranty with it in the box".

Well, after some deliberating and a little gentle haggling, I plumped for the TV.

I had a good look all over it and discovered there was no 12v connection. Just then, the manager came back and said she can`t sell it to me because, after all, there is no box and hence no warranty.

So, fruitless endeavour! At least the conversation was pleasant.

Still in the market for a 19" LCD TV with built in DVD. Must be 12v powered. Any suggestions?

2. Teasy2007

Teasy2007 Funster

3. sinbad1

sinbad1 Deleted User

Think you'll find Mike-H is looking for a normal 240v cd/combi that uses a 204v to 12v dc transformer.

Regards

4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

5. Mike-H

Mike-H Deleted User

The one in Tesco Direct is the one I wanted to buy - but in the store, with cash, to take away. I didn`t want to wait for them to deliver when it was there on the shelf. Whatever happened to "I choose, I pay, I take away" type sales? :Wink:

I do have a tv in my van but the dvd player isnt working properly. I`m thinking of using my 8 yr old sons playstation for watching the occasional dvd. He thinks its a great idea, so he can play guitar hero etc etc etc!

6. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

You can buy a dvd player for peanuts these days!

Peter

7. oldun

oldun Read Only Funster

The best part about an all-in-one combo is the lack of wires and only one power supply.

8. Mike-H

Mike-H Deleted User

Yep, and one less thing to carry/set up.

Looks like we`re going for the playstation idea. It`ll keep Mikey jnr occupied when its raining or too dark to go outside and doubles as a dvd player when he allows us to use it :Cool:

9. algill

algill Funster

We bought one of those telly's about 18 months ago for the 5er and it's been just perfect. Cost us about £220 though then. We've been watching it come down in price ever since :cry:

Might go and buy another for the dining room as the portable in there will be useless soon.

10. falcon

falcon Read Only Funster

19" tv

There are plenty of them in many Tesco Stores including our local one at The Swann in Liverpool.

11. gazznsam

gazznsam Read Only Funster

19 inch tft tv's are pushing it to be running on 12 volts, it used to be 15 inchers were 12 volts, the 17 inchers 15 volts, and 19 inchers 17 volts,

not that it's such a problem, just use a laptops 12 volts psu which give from 15 to 24 volt outputs,

but nowadays more and more tft tv's are coming with the power supply built in, people complain at the mess of the wiring with a power brick halfway along it in a home situation, and people like to leave the power bricks in silly places like under the curtians, on deep shag pile carpets, some of them get hot enough to fry an egg on,

and i'm sure some of the reason for going for the psu built in is the hassle of an over volted tv that's been run on a supply other than it was made for.

dont worry about prices tho, guarenteed the day after you buy it you'll see it elsewhere for less,

if you want to feel smug, laugh at me.... i bought a 15 inch lcd tv about 7 years ago, back then they'd just come down to the 'affordable' price range, i paid £350 for mine, it's not even widescreen, has an analouge tuner in it, speakers are on the back so useless as i've built my tv in,

but for a plus point i've had it 7 years, which ment i sold my 10 inch cathode ray tube 12 volt tv for £150 to offsett the cost, if i'd have left it another year or 2 that tv would have been worth peanuts, nowadays you have to pay people to take a CRT tv off your hands :)

12. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Get in quick then because the wholesale price of TV's is going UP
    I should know as I own a wholesaler.

Peter

13. Wall-E

Wall-E Read Only Funster

I own a wholesalers!! Yes and still!! no bargain's to be had!!.

Aldi, Sunday 12Th July, 19" DBT-T LCD Combi TV, C/W DVD player, Freeview, Teletext, Ni cam stereo sound, Play back, DVD, CD,MP3, JEEG picture CD. HD ready. AC/DC adaptor, 3 YEAR Warranty. £159-99.
    But you may be to late.
    Wall-E.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
  14. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

Makro have a range of to clear Akura TVs that are 12 volt, got to be a member though:Smile:

15. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Something a lot of folk miss is the amount of current a lot of the cheaper and larger tv's draw.
    I have recently seen a 19" that was rated at 6.9 amps !! That will kill your batteries fairly quickly.

Another factor I tend to take on board is the weight of some.. I have seen bottom end 15" units as heavy as middle of th erange 19" ones !