Terrible Tomtom

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by OddSocks, Aug 27, 2014.

1. OddSocks

OddSocks Read Only Funster

I am binning it.

Really angry about this. Spent no small sum of money on a new map and memory card so that I could have the whole of Europe on my old Tomtom One.

In Portugal, wherre we are thinking of settling, post codes are of the format xxxx-xxx but the darn device will only permit me to enter the first 4 digits. Totally useless. I have spent hours looking online and on the Tomtom web site and all the usual techie forums which I use. No solution available as far as I can tell.

We have started to use Google maps navigation on my smarthphone. Not ideal, but better.

I will never purchase, or recommend a Tomtom to anyone ever again. Load of crap!

Think I might buy a small tablet computer and install a navigation software. Any advice or recommendations anyone?

PS - I could not find the accessories forum when I clicked on the community tab. If this is in the wrong place please move it. Don't know where that went?

2. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Just put in town and road name, that's all I do

Just discovered coordinates as another option (y)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gizmouk

Gizmouk Funster

In the MH we use a Galaxy Tab 3 (8in), with Co Pilot navigation software - so far, it's been spot on.
    Also have AutGuard (dash cam App) and mp3 player running on it at the same time.

• Like Like x 2
  4. SMB

SMB Funster

Damn, didn't realise you could get such an app as Autoguard, I just bought a (cheap) dashcam which works well but, having looked this up on the play store, this would have been ideal. :(

I also use Copilot on my phone, which is a Galaxy Note, and the only problem I have had is with the phone itself overheating a couple of times when used in hot weather stuck to the windshield. The software itself is great.

I have Copilot Truck on my other phone (Iphone 4) which allows you to put in your vehicle dimensions, weight etc. It also works well, but one one occasion it added 2 hrs onto a journey compared to my normal Copilot, I have played around with the settings but it makes no difference. When I put in a waypoint it then recognised the shorter route! Other than that it's been fine (y)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bertie Bassett

Bertie Bassett Read Only Funster

My personal experience with an oldish Tom Tom XL was that after buying a new update for 'Western Europe' it wouldn't fit. Endless chat with 'techies' didn't help and the only real response I got was after I placed an less than favourable review on Amazon. Telling them I'd taken the device to the garage and set to with a 2lb lump hammer was obviously not what Mr Executive Tom Tom wanted on Amazon but strangely after a whinge Amazon refused to oblige them and take the review down. The pleasure I got from wielding that hammer without mercy simply cannot be put into words.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Bertie Bassett

Just looking at buying a tablet, Mrs BB has a iPad but I can't afford that, would you recommend the Galaxy Gizmouk?

7. Gizmouk

Gizmouk Funster

Yes, would recommend the Tab 3 - it's a good bit of kit for not a lot of money.
    Be aware the 7 in version also comes with a slower processor, and is, quite sluggish. For the extra 30-40 quid, it's definitely worth going for the 8 in version

• Like Like x 1
  8. JimboT

JimboT Funster

Get yourself a TOM TOM Carvan and Camper no issues with europe!
    Costs a bit but you pay for what you get!
    Jim

• Like Like x 2
  9. Bertie Bassett

Many thanks for the recommendation and advice. I'll be looking tonight!

10. Movinon

Movinon Funster

I take it you cannot upload POIs into a Galaxy Tab 3 with copilot? If not, then any advantage over a dedicated Satnav is surely compromised.

11. Wombles

Wombles Funster

Had one of these & returned it as chose unsuitable routes just like Tom Tom car one not taking into account size of motorhome even though we had input its details to the unit so looked like it did! Tom Tom is great for cars in UK & Europe though especially with Lifetime Map Updates included. Now have proper truck sat nav Garmin DEZL 560LMT http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Truc...=UTF8&qid=1409185626&sr=8-1&keywords=dezl+560 (great price for this model at the moment & again Lifetime Map Updates included) & finally no more unsuitable roads so worth the money to us:)

12. Yotanka

Yotanka Read Only Funster

We had a Tom Tom but when we had to update maps etc it would not download. My husband tried to contact them, that was a farce in itself. Eventually was told not comparable to our model. No refund offered. Went and got a Mio now, far cheaper and far better. Agree with others though maps on tablets etc great and no need to buy a seperate navigator.

13. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

On the other hand... I speak as I find..

I've had a TT One XL since 2007 and used it all over Europe in a large RV with no problems.. still use it in my car and find it great.

However, back to the OP.. post codes are a poor way to find a location with any sat-nav. no matter what country... At best you get the correct street, and in rural areas maybe just the correct village.. In France they are useless..

For sites and aires etc. I always use the gps co-ords which get you to within a few meters..

I've tried a Samsung tablet and smart phone with Co-pilot and it's good software , my problem in the car was finding a mounting or place to hold the tablet.. tried a couple of mounts which were just rubbish .. vibrating was so bad I couldn't see the map.. My Galaxy S3 worked great but shut down due to overheating ..

The mapping on my TT is now well out of date, and the battery is shot.. but with the new maps costing about £50 it makes sense just to replace it.. Halfords have a new TT One XL for about £79

Personally I don't like Swiss Army knife solutions.. IMO nothing beats a dedicated sat nav and I will be buying a new TT very soon..

• Like Like x 2
  14. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

Only skimmed the thread so apologies if this has already been mentioned.

Reason and answer to the OP:

On the older Tomtoms such as the one the standard maps don't have postcode data included other than the first part you describe. You need to download separate postcode files for each country you need them for and add them to the card. You should be able to get them for free from lots of places. It's been a long time since I've needed to do it so I can't point you to a link or remember the exact procedure but it is pretty simple.

• Like Like x 2
  15. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I just Googled "Tom Tom post codes" and the very first link was a description about not being able to enter full postcodes and having to manually download the post code file. Google knows everything - scary but (almost) true.

• Like Like x 1
  16. busby

busby Funster

A map can be very good and are very reliable. Used one for sixty years.(not the same one)...BUSBY:D:D:D

• Like Like x 1
  17. kglblue

kglblue Funster

I bought a snooper for my Motorhome, the 4.3" model. I wish I hadn't bothered, I find the screen hard to read and the technology a throwback to the 1980's. I wish I'd stuck with TomTom.

• Like Like x 1
  18. MichelleRyall

MichelleRyall Funster

I have a 4 year old XL, took me 14 attempts to download the latest Europe Map which involved a phone call to TomTom. They did ring me back and talk me through it. It still took about an hour and a half for it to download......however can I get the post codes on?????? Nope, I have also googled it and tried many times to no avail. Co ordinates work extremely well, especially with aires. I always carry a map for back up. Actually if I am bored today I might spend a couple of hours trying to download the postcodes again :)

19. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

TOM TOM Carvan and Camper used in UK, France, Germany, Portugal and Spain - post codes no problem, but tend to use Lon/Lat most of the time. Would not be without it.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Mack100

Mack100 Funster

I'm going to investigate downloading the Camper and Caravan software to install on my Start 25.