Tensioning Alternator Belt on 1993 1.9 Diesel Ducato/Talento (1 Viewer)

RVCH

Free Member
Nov 23, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Still looking
Exp
Since 2010
Hey, Team.

We've been suffering with the alternator belt squealing. Didn't get to it quick enough first time (rushing for ferry to Dover) and damn thing snapped - fortunately had a spare and a safe place to change it. Unfortunately I couldn't get to it quick enough to still catch our original ferry...

I worked out on the side of the road how to replace it, and it was great for a day. Then in started squealing again when first taking off, or downshifting. So, I checked, and tensioned again, making sure not to over tighten.

Sure enough a day or two later, it came back.

I'm used to having an actual tension adjustment that can be tightened, which I guess this doesn't have.

How do you actually tighten these belts? I'm currently loosening (just a little) the top alternator bolt that mounts to a sliding adjustment thing, and using the tie tyre wrench to lever the alternator away from the water pump, and then re tightening the top alternator bolt.

Vehicle is a naturally aspirated 1.9L Diesel, 1993 model Ducato/Talento.

It's time for me to adjust it again this morning, and I'm getting sick of this!

Previous owner suggested we might need upgraded alternator, but doesn't seem to make any difference with load (lights, fridge etc).

Cheers,
Ross.

OP
OP
RVCH

RVCH

Free Member
Nov 23, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Still looking
Exp
Since 2010
Try some of THIS
Even though the belt was only two days old when it reoccurred? It would have only done 300km at that point (and a grand total less than 2000km)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Assuming it is tensioned correctly (you need to loosen all the alternator fasteners) then the items driven by it are seized or beginning to do so. Correct tension (assuming a 'V' belt) is 1/2" total movement at the centre of the longest run using firm finger pressure. If it is a polyV belt then you should only just be able to twist the centre of the longest run through 90 dghrees.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I agree as above.
Something is beginning to seize and causing excess drag on the belt.
Take the belt off and try turning alternator and tensioner pulley's.
Alternator and tensioner should be free to spin and smooth running.
Water pump will probably be cam belt driven.

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
fan belt squeal is normally caused by excessive load on the alternator, a battery that is discharged or not holding charge properly will cause this.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
It only drives the water pump & alternator. If both water pump & alternator rotate freely then it must be bottoming out on one of the pulleys or the belt isn't the right one.
Are you sure belt is correct one?
I use a 'Gates' 6272 mc. AVX10 x 913La which is the section of the belt at widest point = 10mm X length = 913mm.
& yes you just slacken the 19mm lower nut , loosen the 17mm upper adjuster & keep tension on witha bar whilst nipping up the upper one & then tightening the lower

OP
OP
RVCH

RVCH

Free Member
Nov 23, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Still looking
Exp
Since 2010
It only drives the water pump & alternator. If both water pump & alternator rotate freely then it must be bottoming out on one of the pulleys or the belt isn't the right one.
Are you sure belt is correct one?
I use a 'Gates' 6272 mc. AVX10 x 913La which is the section of the belt at widest point = 10mm X length = 913mm.
& yes you just slacken the 19mm lower nut , loosen the 17mm upper adjuster & keep tension on witha bar whilst nipping up the upper one & then tightening the lower
Hi, Gus (and all)

I checked again, and both pump and alternator spin freely.

I've bought the correct belt.

But, it just sounds like I'm not tightening it enough, as I'm definitely getting more than 1cm movement total on the longest edge. I think I'll have to find a longer bar to lever the alternator away from the motor to increase the tension.

Thanks for the tips, all.

OP
OP
RVCH

RVCH

Free Member
Nov 23, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Still looking
Exp
Since 2010
I'm thinking of upgrading the alternator, as it does seem to take a long time charging the auxiliary battery if it gets low. Belt has been behaving last 1000+km, so guess it was just user error before.

I know it's a difficult question, but are these alternators rather generic? Or specific mounting to different model/year/displacement engines?

Sadly, I have no idea what the engine model is, only that it's a 1.9L non-turbo, and that the van is a 1993 model.

Also, would anyone know what the rating is on the standard alternator?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It will take an age to charge the leisure battery as once the engine battery is fully charged the charge rate drops of to next to nothing so next to nothing is going to the leisure battery,
It would make more financial sense to buy a battery master which can be moved from van to van as required, rather than an upgrade alternator.
This fools the alternator into thinking the engine battery is flat, even though it isn't, and increases the alternator output to maximum thus pushing max amps into the leisure battery..

OP
OP
RVCH

RVCH

Free Member
Nov 23, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Still looking
Exp
Since 2010
It will take an age to charge the leisure battery as once the engine battery is fully charged the charge rate drops of to next to nothing so next to nothing is going to the leisure battery,
It would make more financial sense to buy a battery master which can be moved from van to van as required, rather than an upgrade alternator.
This fools the alternator into thinking the engine battery is flat, even though it isn't, and increases the alternator output to maximum thus pushing max amps into the leisure battery..
Forgive my ignorance here. I assumed they would be connected in parallel, with load equally spread between them (once engine running and both batteries charging).

My previous, which was a DIY build, had an automatic isolator that disconnected only once voltage dipped below a threshold, but once above, both batteries were in parallel, and the running battery was also charging the leisure, along with the alternator.

Are these pre-built motorhomes different?

Also, could you explain a little more about the battery master? Is this applicable for full time use? It sounded like it's something you take out of the van?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I'm thinking of upgrading the alternator, as it does seem to take a long time charging the auxiliary battery if it gets low. Belt has been behaving last 1000+km, so guess it was just user error before.

I know it's a difficult question, but are these alternators rather generic? Or specific mounting to different model/year/displacement engines?

Sadly, I have no idea what the engine model is, only that it's a 1.9L non-turbo, and that the van is a 1993 model.

Also, would anyone know what the rating is on the standard alternator?
Check the metal manufacturers plate on the shut panel of bonnet. It will state engine type. If it is
" 149.B1. 000 " , it is Fiats own engine. Anything else & it is the Pug engine that was used .The DB9 XUD
not sure but I think the 1,9D with turbo has same alternator.
Models given originally @55 Amps Alternator rating

https://www.vanbitz.com/product/battery-master/

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back