Tell me about Switzerland (1 Viewer)

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
We don't usually have cause to go into Switzerland but I want to go from below Lyon to Bavaria.
We don't want use motorways or tunnels so we wont need a vignette (?).
What do they have in place of Aires/Stelplatz?
How easy is it to find the services?
How much are the average motor home stop overs?
ANY other tips or recommendations?

I really need help folks ---------It has be said before!

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
If you are above 3500kg you need a vignette whatever roads you use.

Mel

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Switzerland = expensive.

Have you checked that your route can be done without a vignette?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Stealaway
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
If you are above 3500kg you need a vignette whatever roads you use.

Mel

I am below 3500 Kg's

Have you checked that your route can be done without a vignette?

I imagine they have lots of other roads without using motorways, even if they are slower. we really don't like motorways and are never in a rush - if we can help it.

Reactions: Mel

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
CamperContact shows some aires, this is the west of the country.

Screenshot_20151231-172135.png

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
If you don't use the long border tunnels you may end up using alpine passes - an interesting driving challenge at times, more so going downhill than uphill as it's hard to avoid overheating brakes in a MH, even with the careful use of gears on the descent. Swiss roads in general tend to have lots of bends and smaller tunnels on them. It's a picturesque country but, as others have said, not cheap and it doesn't offer many aires. You can take your pick of which language to speak - I personally find French easiest.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
CamperContact shows some aires, this is the west of the country.

View attachment 87876

used two of these this summer. tip have Swiss coins for pay machines.. and they are not cheap stopovers compared to France etc....

Have used campsites previously and better value to be honest

the vignette cheap for what you get..pointless avoiding motorways and included tunnels IMO

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Also worth mentioning that the official Swiss currency isn't Euros.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I am below 3500 Kg's

I imagine they have lots of other roads without using motorways, even if they are slower. we really don't like motorways and are never in a rush - if we can help it.

I don't know much about Switzerland's road network but couldn't avoid motorways when we drove through the first time and felt paranoid when we were there last week in case we got onto a road that required one - we entered and left Geneva from the same French road (3km from the boarder to the city), had a quick look and left before they charged us for breathing too much.

Map of roads requiring vignette:
http://www.autobahnen.ch/index.php?lg=000&page=014

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
If you haven't got a GB on your number plates then you should display a GB sticker. How much this is enforced I couldn't say but that's what you are supposed to do.

Parts of Switzerland are among the most heavily polluted areas in Europe. It's not all eidelweiss and mountain air.

Coffee out can be so eye- wateringly expensive that we were tempted to take the cups and spoons home with us. If you do buy coffee in a motorway service area then keep the receipt as it acts as a token to get you into the loos, for which you have to pay otherwise.

Not our favourite country though undeniably beautiful in parts.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I If you do buy coffee in a motorway service area then keep the receipt as it acts as a token to get you into the loos, for which you have to pay otherwise.
Off Topic but
Which reminds me of the opposite on the German autobahns. You pay 70c to use the toilets ( the best I've ever seen ! ) & the ticket from barrier is redeemable against coffee or in the cafeteria.

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
When we were there last year we used campsites, and found they were not that expensive, its worth buying the vignette and not having to worry about where you drive, Switzerland is a stunning country and the roads there are a engineering wonder, with breathtaking views round each bend (and there are plenty of them especially if you go via the passes... expensive yes ( a bottle of water and a bag of crisps were nearly 10 euros -the equivalent in swish francs ) but that was at a service station, we found the price of everyday groceries in a shop - mini supermarket were a little more than most but nothing extortionate..

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Thanks peeps.
I'll have look at the price of the vignette as I'll only be there for a couple of days.
Something like €40 for 14 seconds or max of 14 months. No 1 week options :(

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
If you haven't got a GB on your number plates then you should display a GB sticker. How much this is enforced I couldn't say but that's what you are supposed to do.

Parts of Switzerland are among the most heavily polluted areas in Europe. It's not all eidelweiss and mountain air.

Coffee out can be so eye- wateringly expensive that we were tempted to take the cups and spoons home with us. If you do buy coffee in a motorway service area then keep the receipt as it acts as a token to get you into the loos, for which you have to pay otherwise.

Not our favourite country though undeniably beautiful in parts.

I read that the fine for not having a GB sticker on a car if there wasn't GB on the number plate is around €120 in France - I think that the rules require a GB sticker when driving outside of the EU but don't know how much that is enforced.

OP
OP
Stealaway
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Something like €40 for 14 seconds or max of 14 months. No 1 week options :(

What!!! ----------- Not encouraging many tourist then. None of what's been said makes it seem very attractive for motor homes.
I am now looking for a way around Switzerland?????

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
What!!! ----------- Not encouraging many tourist then. None of what's been said makes it seem very attractive for motor homes.
I am now looking for a way around Switzerland?????
Apologies, it is €34. Still expensive though and frustrating that they don't offer short term options.

If you have several days to do the trip, it would be worth visiting and putting the costs into the "I've done it" category of expenses. We paid it a few years ago and planned to spend a few days there - we left within 24 hrs because the weather changed and I couldn't cope with 3 days of rain - it was forecasted to be sunny when we entered the country and paid for the vignette :(

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Of what i can remember last year it cost around 40 euros but worked out around £25 for a months traveling which i thought was not that bad - not great either but you have no tolls to pay which was a god send...

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

- even if your car has 'Euro-plates' (number-plates that show a circle of 12 stars on a blue background) A GB sticker on the back of your car is required,

http://www.rac.co.uk/driving-abroad/switzerland

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
I read that the fine for not having a GB sticker on a car if there wasn't GB on the number plate is around €120 in France - I think that the rules require a GB sticker when driving outside of the EU but don't know how much that is enforced.

Then the French police should be outside Calais we have seen hundreds on GB cars recently without GB stickers or the plate in fact at Christmas it was more unusual to see a gb sticker than not.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Wonderful country Switzerland, using the ACSI sites off season are not prohibitive and there are the aires for a stopover between sites if you are spending some time there.The Vignette is cheapest from the Swiss Tourist Office in the UK.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Then the French police should be outside Calais we have seen hundreds on GB cars recently without GB stickers or the plate in fact at Christmas it was more unusual to see a gb sticker than not.

I was nearly one of those but saw this web site at the terminal and decided to buy a GB sticker was worth the few quid.

http://www.drive-france.com/checklist/

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
@Stealaway - travelled across Switzerland last year, just as a through route. The vignette was purchased at the first garage I came to and cost 43CHF for which my credit card provider charged £28.63 - it is valid for the whole calendar year.

Nov 9, 2011
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years
Be very careful - it is extremely difficult to tell the difference between a motorway and an A road and it is not unknown for the authorities to target easily-confused stretches.
If you are looking for exciting night stops, try the tops of the Simplon and Gotthard passes. If the weather is good, the experience is magical.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back