Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
This isn't new but some people may not be aware of it.

You may get a phone call from someone purporting to be from Microsoft who says that your ISP has been aware of a problem with your computer and passed the problem onto them. They will ask you to type something in then very quickly be controlling your computer showing you all the things wrong with it and try to get you to buy some software.

Unfortunately a friend of ours did just this, the computer had become very slow and internet access had become almost impossible so it sounded plausible and she agreed to follow their instructions. Fortunately she didn't buy any software from them and soon realised she was being scammed and shut the internet down. The computer wouldn't shut down.

After being in contact with her bank and the ISP it looks like she has escaped being conned but it has left her quite upset. I've rebuilt her computer so that there is no trace of the malware I found.

Please be careful don't let these scum catch you out.

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
My father took a call a few days ago from a guy telling him there was a "problem with his Windows" and he needed to connect to the internet to fix it.

"That's strange" my father said "because I use a Mac."

"No sir, you are using Windows."

"Goodbye."

Dalek

Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 600
Exp
18 months
This happened to our neighbour and she too fell for it until it got to wanting money that is. The guy on the phone said it would cost £90 to fix and she told him she didnt have £90 so he said ok £60, at that point she realised it was a scam and told him she was calling the police - end of call.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back