Tec tower fridge has failed, need new or repair? (2 Viewers)

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Then we still have the oven to deal which will also needs to be replaced, as mentioned above it is controlled from the failed fridge,
Ive had a quick look through the thread david.. im not familiar with the fridge models you may be able to get as a replacement... but for what its worth id be looking to keep the oven grill you have.. it should be possible to remove the present controls from the panel for your oven and re mount them in new panel. If you can find a fridge that gives a little room for that... the only issue is the way the fridge and oven are attached or fitted in.. so as long as the fridge can be removed as a unit..
My thoughts anyway... but as you know im not to fussy about looks as long as it can be done , and works.. but no reason you couldnt find a suitable material to fabricate a new panel and it look acceptable.
Andy..

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
@andy63

From earlier efforts to remove the fridge, we know the oven is pretty well attached to the top of the fridge freezer, albeit a separate unit

If I can acquire a newer oven as above from Tony hopefully at reasonable price that would be a better swap for me save messing with cutting holes in new fridge :Eeek:

But you know me not good with tools :LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Our Tech tower has a Smev oven on the top with its own rotary Control/Igniter combined in the bottom right hand corner. It looks like the electrics are shared at the back to provide the spark.

I have been out to the van and ours has a curved front. The oven clearly matches the Dometic fridge freezer but the oven is most certainly a separate unit with its own separate controls - I can see light between the top of the freezer and the bottom of the oven. The oven front is badged Dometic.

I would imagine that they should be available separately.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I have been out to the van and ours has a curved front. The oven clearly matches the Dometic fridge freezer but the oven is most certainly a separate unit - I can see light between the top of the freezer and the bottom of the oven. The oven front is badged

Sounds pretty much like ours, just newer, there is one obvious screw on bottom of oven into top of fridge where the door closes, we presume there are other fixings

But the gap worries me on mine, that gap goes through to the vented area at the back where the fridge gas burner is, I would have thought this area should be sealed, ours isn't either, we get quite a draught through the gap between oven and freezer and over top of oven if the wind is in the wrong direction

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/292706433203?ViewItem=&item=292706433203

have found this, seems slight expensive, but has anybody got this exact model?

Is the drawer on the bottom a fridge or freezer section?

full spec here https://www.jacksonsleisure.com/car...ic-rmf8505-absorption-caravan-fridge-freezer/

£2,150.00 (inc VAT )
  1. 55-litre drawer fridge which can be opened separately offers ample space to store bottles in secure, easy to grab upright position (no need to open fridge door to get them out! Saving on energy)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
That sounds like excellent timing can we please have first dibs on the oven unless it is already spoken for (y)
You can. However I'm undecided as to whether I'll keep it for the next owner (very unlikely) or whether I can use it's outer curved door as part of the microwave installation. Either way I'll let you know as soon as my fridge / freezer is repaired.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Sounds pretty much like ours, just newer, there is one obvious screw on bottom of oven into top of fridge where the door closes, we presume there are other fixings

But the gap worries me on mine, that gap goes through to the vented area at the back where the fridge gas burner is, I would have thought this area should be sealed, ours isn't either, we get quite a draught through the gap between oven and freezer and over top of oven if the wind is in the wrong direction

The gap is closed at the back on mine but only by some sort of sticky backed fabric by the look of it as there is the glow of light beyond it from the top external fridge vent.

I am just going out to take some pics.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
IMG_4094.jpg
IMG_4095.jpg
IMG_4096.jpg
IMG_4097.jpg
IMG_4098.jpg
IMG_4099.jpg

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
The dimensions are 525mm wide by 265 tall excluding the top chrome grill which is decorative and about 450mm deep.

Sorry about the reflections but its a mirror glossy front.

Actually, looking at the photo taken from the fridge vent it looks like a layer of foam between the freezer and the oven.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/292706433203?ViewItem=&item=292706433203

have found this, seems slight expensive, but has anybody got this exact model?

Is the drawer on the bottom a fridge or freezer section?

Unusually for me, I have done a little more checking before buying

the RMF8505 is actually as tall as our complete tec tower o_O

now weighing up whether the extra fridge space is more valuable to us than the rarely used oven

would a new buyer be put off by no oven? not that we think we will sell soon (too much invested in it )

A major plus would be, simpler fit, no oven to source (y)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Unusually for me, I have done a little more checking before buying

the RMF8505 is actually as tall as our complete tec tower o_O

now weighing up whether the extra fridge space is more valuable to us than the rarely used oven

would a new buyer be put off by no oven? not that we think we will sell soon (too much invested in it )

A major plus would be, simpler fit, no oven to source (y)
No oven may limit potential buyers in the future

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
That version is nothing like the RMDT8505 which has the oven above, I think @Abacist one is the RMDT 8505 which is what we have had in our last 2 vans.

I understand that, found it on ebay, liked the look of the pull out drawer for bottles, just hadn't realised at first it was so tall

now deciding if oven is really needed

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
We would not buy a van without an oven. My other half never really liked the ovens on the top of the TEC towers but she fell in love with the van and has accepted the small oven on the grounds that I have to put stuff in, check while cooking, take out and then clean the oven from now on!

We use the oven to cook baked potatoes and cook things like lasange made at home, then frozen and taken away with us, often on the first night away. Also useful for cooking part cooked french sticks and rolls which don't take up freezer space but can be useful if away from the shops to buy fresh.

We would rather be without a Microwave than an oven.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Go for bigger fridge freezer and no oven, the tec tower ovens are renowned for being useless anyway so whats the point of having one.
People in future could use portable halogen ovens etc
Bigger fried freezer is a good, better selling point I think.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
this could just be our answer, we already use the cylinders for awning heaters so that's a bonus, nothing extra to carry other than this for occasional use

I think I have already sold myself on the extra fridge space, even Bev seems to like the idea, plus having all the bottles in the drawer section really seems to make sense

so long as we isolate the gas feed to the existing oven the fitting should be pretty straight forward as well :)

looks like I might have found my solution (y)

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Agree with @Abacist, we get on OK with our Tec tower oven and wouldn’t be without it, though removing the useless grill part would improve it.
We’ve learnt that everything goes on hot and you just keep an eye on it until it’s done.
Much rather have the oven.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thinkbthis was mentioned eaelier but is the size and type of fridge not also dictated by the vents on the side of the van, bottom one could be fine but the upper vent might be too low if you were to get a taller fridge :)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Thinkbthis was mentioned eaelier but is the size and type of fridge not also dictated by the vents on the side of the van, bottom one could be fine but the upper vent might be too low if you were to get a taller fridge :)
Easily solved fit a roof vent.

upload_2018-9-18_17-30-42.png

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
cant see it really making any difference what shape the vent cover is, my existing mushroom one for the oven will do well I reckon (y)

at least until the fridge doesn't work well, then I might change it :whistle:
I think the oven one will be far too small.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
cant see it really making any difference what shape the vent cover is, my existing mushroom one for the oven will do well I reckon (y)

at least until the fridge doesn't work well, then I might change it :whistle:

Compare the aperture volumes of each respective vent if you can and if the oven one is smaller then I'd change to the larger one. You also have to remember that the back of the fridge where the hot air rises is rectangular in shape which is then mirrored by their vent. Don't run the risk of invalidating the warranty!

If you have fridge vent fans they would obviously help but only a given amount of air can pass through an aperture under natural means and the bigger the aperture the better if you go to hot climes.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back