Taxing the van

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by walburga, Aug 10, 2009.

1. walburga

walburga Funster

We are thinking of going to Spain mid Jan 'till late March next year. But, the tax is up on the van end of Feb. Do I hand in my current tax disc at say end of nov or dec and claim the money for the un-used months, then re-tax for a year ?
    I'm sure others must've had this problem.

regards
    Allen

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

3. wanderer

wanderer Funster

hi
    You can tax your vehicle up to two months in advance of you going abroad but your mot and insurance must be valid when the disc is due to start ,documents that are current but expire prior to the start of the tax disc are no good.
    We got 6 months tax then we will buy 12 months when this expires. We also got another mot which now expires at a more convenient time for us
    Palaceboy

4. M&L

M&L Read Only Funster

We have the same problem but as already said you can tax it it in advance but you have to go to the Vehicle Licence Office to do it. We will do ours in Jan as we leave for Spain on the 1 Feb but the tax is due March 1

5. vwalan

vwalan Funster

it used to be the done thing to be abroad with no tax on your vehicle now with sorn its best to make sure you have tax in the screen. also remember if you are going away for a few years you should export your vehicle.life does seem to be getting harder for the traveller.