Tales From The Lakes

Discussion in 'UK Touring' started by Yorick, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Yorick

Yorick Funster

Sunday we stopped at Braithwaite Fold camp site at Bowness.

Very poor site. Over-priced and naff all facilities. The loos closed from 11:00 - 12:00 and when they were open, you needed a 17 digit code to get in :cry:

Monday stayed at Coniston Hall. Brilliant :BigGrin:

We were the only ones there. Yes, honest :Rofl1:

Tuesday, stopped at Derwent Water camp site. Great site right on lake edge :Smile:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
    • Like Like x 5
  2. paulmold

paulmold Read Only Funster

We were at Braithwaite Fold previous Sunday and Monday. The location makes it worthwhile, 5 minute walk to lakeside and into town. Didn't mind the 6 digit code to the loos but my only objection is the 4 metre rule instead of the usual 6metre making it feel very crowded. Didn't think it overpriced, we had the over 55 discount and it only worked out at £15 per night.
    We also stayed at Derwentwater on the Thursday and Friday, torrential rain, the Oval was fine but Walkers Park was closed due to waterlogged. Liked that site very much, again mainly due to location to Keswick.
    In between we stayed at Ravenglass - now that is a lovely site!

All three were much same price except we had to pay slightly higher Friday price due to change to mid-season half-term price.

3. Yorick

Yorick Funster

We had to pay £29.70 at both cc sites and £15 at Coniston.

4. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

Every time I try to book Braithwaite Fold I am told that they haven't got a pitch big enough for our MH, which is 28' 7" long.
    When I have stayed there in the past, when it was a CC site I have seen big RVs there. Maybe a shortage of larger pitches if they are cramming them in.

Ravenglass gets my vote on a lovely, friendly site.
    Keswick C&CC site is ok and it's best feature is that it is only a very short walk into town.

5. paulmold

paulmold Read Only Funster

We tried to get on Keswick C&CC site without booking but they had closed it to new arrivals as they were on flood alert so we went next door to Derwentwater and very glad we did.

6. HymerB544

HymerB544 Funster

We've stayed at the main Keswick club site a few times and if the weather is kind and you are lucky enough to book a pitch, the location and view are hard to beat. But we did once stay there in June and after a full week of rain the wardens knocked everyone up at 3am to abandon the site as the lake had risen overnight and was flooding the whole site. Our favorite part of the Lakes is the Western side, but for anyone wanting a handy stopover for Amble side there is what amounts to an Aire on the edge of a car park as you come into town from the south side just before the putting green. :BigGrin:

7. WillH

WillH Funster

Stayed at Braithwaite in June, site was okay, no complaints. Stayed at Keswick many times without booking though we have booked our next stay as we have tickets for the Theatre by The Lake.

Rule of thumb, if you don't like it, don't use it.

Rgds
    Bill