Talbot cylinder head needed

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by andi4x4, Aug 26, 2012.

1. andi4x4

andi4x4 Read Only Funster

Hi Folks,

Been a while since I last posted on here - cutting a long story short, I need a cylinder head for my MH after it froze and burst winter before last. Head has been off all last winter so bores have started to rust - hoping I can recover them to avoid pulling the rest of the engine out !

So, cylinder head for a Talbot 2.5td 1988 ( Hymer ) needed - anyone recommend a good source ?

Thanx !

Andi

2. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Could be a long shot, but try Breaker Yard.com a try we have used them and found them helpful and efficient.

3. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

• Like Like x 1
  4. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

I think you will find that your engine is not just from the Talbot range but its the Citroen CX turbo diesel engine. If it has two cam belts instead of one its definitely a Citroen CX engine.

5. andi4x4

Thanks for your replies folks - I will follow up on them !

@Snowbird - I did not have to remove any cam belts to remove the head from this engine - is is a side cam and pushrod design.

I had heard that it may be the same engine found in early Landrover 2.5TDI

6. Snowbird

If it has what looks like a cast alloy rocker cover which is rounded as opposed to square and its badged as a Peugeot or Talbot from the mid 80s to the mid 90s its the Citroen CX 2.5 turbo engine. Many think its the Peugeot Talbot engine but like other manufacturers it was borrowed from another group member. Its a good engine if looked after and lots of them about.

7. andi4x4

Hi Snowbird -

Yes, it has a rounded rocker cover - not sure what it says on it at the mo ( its in storage away from the house)

The cam belt(s) on the drivers side - waterpump, alternator, pas pump on the other end above the gearbox, and I think ( again can't check at the mo) both exhaust and inlet manifolds are on same side of engine.

It's a 1988 Hymer, so, that all tallies with what you have said -

8. Snowbird

It sounds very much like the CX engine, and as I have said it was a good engine in its day, having a bit more power than the equivalent Fiat lump. The CX was the fastest production diesel car in the world when launched. My FFB which will be for sale shortly has the same engine and will cruise at 70 all day.