tablet security?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by greyman1, Dec 12, 2013.

1. greyman1

greyman1 Read Only Funster

please excuse my ignorance on these matters folks, but when you purchase one of these cheapo tablets from ebay etc do you still have to install a anti virus [eg norton] system like i have on my laptop or do they have something already in them ? also some say they have gps already installed, so do i take it that these will operate WITHOUT having to be near wi fi hotspots just as a stand alone tom tom etc would do ? cheers guys

2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Security - I don't have any.

If it has GPS capabilities you can load free or paid for SatNav programs on it.

I have Copilot Live Europe on one - all of Europe for £30 ish.

There is also a very useful free map program, you download free maps by country. Sort of Autoroute for Android.

3. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

I assume that this is running Android. I would recommend you do get some security, because it does not come as standard. I use AVG which is free from the Play Store - I also use it on my PC.

As Hilldweller has said if it has GPS then you can get sat nav apps that will work. Without some form of connection to the web (3/4G or wifi) you will need to one that stores maps on the device. Some are free but I am not convinced. I use Sygic, but you can also get Tom Tom or Copilot. The apps are very cheap compared with buying a new stand alone sat nav.

4. Allanm

Allanm Funster

• Like Like x 1
  5. golly

golly Funster

I use avast, just the free version as I don't use the tablet for any banking etc.

6. greyman1

greyman1 Read Only Funster

thanks guys really helpfull replies as always . cheers garry

7. keith

keith Funster

We have a Nexus that has Route 66 sat nav prog I loaded last month. No charge for a month then a small charge to keep it running after.

I have found it to be very good, got us to Spain OK with out any major problems.

My only criticism is that the font on the screen showing speed limits is too small and should be in bold, but overall it's been a good system.

You download maps and therefore no connection needed while travelling, but you need a good internet connection to download them otherwise it can take a loooong time for some countries.

8. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Norton.. Also known in IT circles as the most expensive virus you can buy.
    Use Avast!
    It is excellent, free for individual users and VERY regularly updated automatically and free

• Like Like x 3
  9. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Norton single handedly invented bloatware

• Like Like x 2
  10. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Not quite true as they had help from another firm which they subsequently swallowed up ( damned if I can remember the name but think it began with a C )

11. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

BTW, those who do use Norton, be aware that unless you specifically set it not to renew, it will automatically renew and take a payment.. There was quite a hoohar over it last year ( or the year before ?? )