Tablet PC and wifi antennas

Discussion in 'Computers' started by lunarman, Oct 8, 2012.

1. lunarman

lunarman Funster

I am thinking of replacing my vista laptop with a tablet pc for use in the van.

So the first question to be asked is what operating system should I go for Android or Windows?

Android tablets appear to be cheaper than their windows equivalent but are they the best choice for using in the van, because I may need to use a wifi antenna to pick up a signal.

So here is the real question - Does a wifi antenna work with an android tablet, assuming it has a usb connection? I am of course assuming that there would not be a problem with a windows based tablet (I may be wrong here).

So what is the recommendation of the experts here.

Lunarman

2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Certainly not with my tablet. It has no USB socket. If I'd bought the keyboard with it that has USB ports but I still don't know if it would run a USB WiFi dongle.

Basically you've got to ask the question for any tablet you fancy.

The point is that a tablet you take to the WiFi hotspot.

I always carry a laptop first and a tablet as well, they are not totally interchangeable.

I have no idea what is on off on windows tablets, must look !

3. Bryan

Bryan Read Only Funster

I don't think you can use a usb antenna on an android tablet for the same reason you can't connect a USB printer...there are no drivers.

With a laptop (or desktop) when you connect a USB device your operating system will install a driver - this tells the OS how to communicate with the device.

Android has no device drivers so connecting such a device will not work.

• Like Like x 1
  4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

The Blacberry Playbook has a USB socket but it is not a host, it cannot be used for connecting a camera or other devices, it's primary and only function is to connect to the lappy for transferring files .. It also has a micro HDMI outlet socket which is very useful ..

I see tablets as an addition to a laptop.. not a replacement, they are useful because they are very portable and have a long battery life.. typically 7 -10 hrs ..

A good analogy is a toad with a motorhome.. useful but it doesn't replace the mh, you can't shower in the toad .. :Laughing: but it extends it's usefulness.

• Like Like x 2
  5. bungy

bungy Funster

you can use a wifi booster that acts as a personal hotspot with a tablet (or any other wifi enable device for that matter) theres a few out there on the market, of varying quality and price - one example is the iBooster, a tad pricey but an option!!

I normally take a netbook with us as i used to use autoroute a lot to plan stuff and look for places.But ive got copilot satnav on my samsung note which i find does all of what i used to do with autoroute (and more), so the netbook stayed in the cupboard - that was the last piece of software that i needed to take the netbook for... everything else is on the note

If youve got a netbook/laptop with an existing wifi booster and you have an android device - you could try this Had a play with it and it worked quite well

6. Xan

Xan Read Only Funster

Got to say I dislike being charged for wifi anywhere. Especially as I already have a mobile phone with 3G.

The solution for me was to install MyWi on my iphone. It creates a wifi hotspot that any wifi enabled device can find and connect to (with security of course).

I know some use portable routers to do the same thing, but then you need another SIM card/Contract.

An iPhone must be jailbroken to use MyWi.

7. beachcaster

beachcaster Read Only Funster

I cant see the benefit of a tablet over a laptop for motorhome use.
    The laptop had so many advntages over a tablet.

I would carry both...........but for day to day comms I dont think you cant beat a laptop.

barry:Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  8. freelanderuk

freelanderuk Read Only Funster

I use my Google nexus 7 with the Alfa r36 WiFi router and my long range WiFi Ariel
    Similar to the I boost but cheaper and also enables you to use a 3g dongle

9. Trikimiki

Trikimiki Read Only Funster

I use my samsung galaxy as my router so I have internet anywhere you have 3G, just tether it to your laptop or Ipad

• Like Like x 1
  10. buttons

buttons Funster

They look very interesting, they run office on windows 8 and have a clip on keyboard and expandable memory. A pucker version is due out next year for the enthusiast.