Table covers?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Jac Sprat, Feb 26, 2016.

1. Jac Sprat

Jac Sprat Funster

We are delighted with our new (to us) Hymer but we are trying to make it look less like a space capsule. Photos and pictures don't work too well. I came up with the idea of jolly table cloths - preferably held in place underneath by elastic (a bit like contour sheets. )
    Has anyone seen anything like this around as I am loathe to put needle to fabric myself ..... Without elastic or ties underneath I'm guessing it'd slide right off when we brushed against it.
    Failing this - has anyone any ideas how we can put our mark on the van to give it some character? Don't want to replace the curtains as they are see through ones.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  3. mariner

mariner Funster Life Member

These fastened under the table, out of sight out of mind!

• Like Like x 2
  4. Jac Sprat

Jac Sprat Funster

Of course! Thank you!
    Wondered also if any company made table cloths to fit Hymer tables specifically? Could be a nice little earner for someone if not!

5. reckless

reckless Funster

How about using the clips or weights often used outdoors on tables? You can get some very pretty/fancy ones.

I was unhappy with the blandness of our motorhome until I recently fitted some heavy curtains at the cab end to cut down draughts. They transformed it. I also made an over door organiser from the same material which is very useful. I'm not handy with sewing but I do own a sewing machine and just got stuck in. I amazed myself :)

Karen

• Like Like x 1
  6. Minxy Girl

The only thing you have to watch with them is that they can get snagged if you have a sliding table top.

7. Jac Sprat

Jac Sprat Funster

Good idea thanks Karen
    Have you got a pic you could post?
    You mean you put a curtain that covers the captains chairs? or drapes behind them when you're sitting there?

8. reckless

reckless Funster

The curtain separates the cab/hab areas as shown so might not suit your layout. We have side benches that we move to when curtain is closed.

DSC_0030.JPG DSC_0029.JPG

When we get back from this trip I'm also going to cover the removable boards which provide extra back support.......using double sided tape :) and maybe a bit of padding.

I bought a pair of huge 'seconds' curtains from eBay and I had tons of extra material.

Karen

• Like Like x 3
  9. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

This is the voice of the Mysterons
    You gotta be a certain age to get this

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
  10. reckless

reckless Funster

I'm a certain age and recognise the quote but still don't get it @Geo . Enlighten me, I promise not to take offence if its a dig at my interior decorating choices (y)

Karen

11. Smith and Sharp

Smith and Sharp Funster

It's not your choice Karen it's just the circles..... They look like the mysterons lights..:)(y)

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. reckless

reckless Funster

I won't sleep at night now :eek:

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Jac Sprat

Jac Sprat Funster

They are fab Karen well done! Love the over door organiser too.
    Was that curtain metal pole already there? I wouldn't want to mess with the inbuilt curtain rails really. Ours are quite flimsy.

14. Milliemobile

Milliemobile Funster

On our old pvc we had a few sections that could be removed, behind sofas, door, so we took them off and covered in a beach hut water proof fabric, mostly to stop the dogs getting muck on the original beige fluffy stuff, but it also jazzed the van up. We also made a new table top and used same stuff to cover just then stapled underneath, so more like a new fixed top than a table cloth.
    New van is all moulded plastic so can't do much, have stated putting retro pics up, the ones that are made from thin metal, use strips of no nails each strip holds up to 2kg and you just twist to remove.
    We recovered our sofas in the old van it was very bright and not to everyone's taste, but we liked it, had bright blue, then swapped to bright red.
    I started collecting fridge magnets on our travels in the old van as it had sections of metal on the doors. Can't do this on new van, though I'm thinking of no nailsing a section of metal to bathroom wall to put them on.

Lin :) WP_20140627_008.jpg FB_20140911_17_44_53_Saved_Picture.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  15. reckless

reckless Funster

No, the pole is from B&Q and slots into a small hook and ring that Brian fitted.

I resized 2 curtains into 3 (also have one over the hab door) so the heading was already done. I just had to stitch hems and some of the sides.

The organiser has 3 secret compartments at the back as well :)

The main thing is that the curtains have made a huge difference to heat retention and make us feel much cosier in the evenings.

Karen

• Like Like x 1
  16. Jac Sprat

Jac Sprat Funster

It's lovely
    Maybe I could get someone to fit the pole for me. But a curtain would flop against our heads as that's where we sit in the evenings....
    I love the idea of the draught excluding aspect and the bright colour curtain.

17. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

From Captain Scarlet, whenever "This is the voice of the Mysterons" was heard there were 3 circles playing across the walls
    It was the first thing that popped into my otherwise over worked brain:D

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Minxy Girl

I made 3 curtain panels to go in the cab of one of our motorhomes where we used the swivelled cab seats and it did make a lot of different to comfort! I had a panel for each of the cab doors and one for the windscreen - to 'fit' them I sewed 'fluffy' Velcro onto the top of the panels in a few places and stuck some 'sticky' Velcro (grippy bit) around the cab above the windscreen and cab doors to mate up with the fluffy bits. I also put some on the sides of the panels (fluffy/grippy as appropriate) and where the front panel and the door panels met to keep them together and also at the edges that were next to the 'B' pillar with Velcro (sticky) again to hold the edges tight up to it. I had 3 panels simply to make it easier to store them when not in use (they were just folded and put in the overcab area) but it could be done in 2 or just one if you wish. Charity shops are a great place to get good quality curtains.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Jac Sprat

Jac Sprat Funster

Thanks Minxy girl
    Have you got a pic?

20. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

A table cloth!

We always chuckle when we see folk putting their table outside under the awning and then put a table cloth over it. But then we must be vulgar and common! :)

However, those clip things are useful if you want to be posh, but a point of etiquette here if I may as standards need to be kept up. A table cloth, if you are going to use one, has to be made of cotton or some other natural material and properly ironed. Plastic table clothes are for greasy spoon cafes! :D:D:D

• Like Like x 2