Switzerland... how much hassle is it? (1 Viewer)

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Got a chance to spend a weekend in Emmen in Switzerland, if it works out im looking at taking the MH as we can spend a week making our way to a race in Germany the week after.

What kind of things do i need to know.. 2003 A Class Euramobil .. ADAC member so recovery is covered.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Switzerland is no hassle at all, and it's beautiful as well. Downside is it is a tad on the expensive side! We have been there nearly every summer since the motorhoming bug bit us a few years ago :D
How heavy your van is will determine what you need to do to drive over there.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
If you run over a gnome you go to prison for life otherwise you just buy pass at the border which is cheaper than French tolls. And in theory you don't need the pass if you avoid motorways.

The place is glorious.

Luzern, Camping International right by the lake is worth at least two days to have a good look at the city.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
PhilG

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Switzerland is no hassle at all, and it's beautiful as well. Downside is it is a tad on the expensive side! We have been there nearly every summer since the motorhoming bug bit us a few years ago :D
How heavy your van is will determine what you need to do to drive over there.
I think its 4750 , with a Tag Axle 8.1m long

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We did Switzerland last summer and loved it, if your going out of season get a ASIC card (i think thats what its called) we had one in June last year and more than halved the price of sites at Interlaken,

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I think its 4750 , with a Tag Axle 8.1m long
Ok, when you cross the border, go in the car with no vignette lane. When the guard offers you a vignette, tell him you are heavy, then follow the instructions given to you.
You have to fill in a form and have it stamped, the good news, its cheaper than the vignette :)

Ksagic

Free Member
Feb 21, 2015
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance 890i
Exp
Like us you are over 3.5t so you will need the 10 day vignette. Make sure you have yr V5 with you as they will ask to see the detail.
As per precvious comments, Switzerland is stunning, amazing and well worth every minute you can spare and I would definitely second the comment about Camping International at Lucerne.
Nearly forgot, you MUST complete the daily details for your location etc on the vignette each day you are in Switzerland, otherwise if and when you are leaving the country and be unlucky enough to be stopped by the Customs they will check. If it is not completed you will be fined, I know it happened to me so an expensive lesson learnt.

Imbiber

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
Like us you are over 3.5t so you will need the 10 day vignette. Make sure you have yr V5 with you as they will ask to see the detail.
As per precvious comments, Switzerland is stunning, amazing and well worth every minute you can spare and I would definitely second the comment about Camping International at Lucerne.
Nearly forgot, you MUST complete the daily details for your location etc on the vignette each day you are in Switzerland, otherwise if and when you are leaving the country and be unlucky enough to be stopped by the Customs they will check. If it is not completed you will be fined, I know it happened to me so an expensive lesson learnt.

Morning Ksagic,

Just as a matter of interest how much was the fine please?

Thanks

Dec 28, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson 627GA
Exp
Another vote for camping international in Lucerne - looking around the lakeside villas & apartments I was amazed they let a campsite operate at all! 15 min walk along the lake into town - was there 3 weeks ago.

Billggski

Free Member
Aug 6, 2013
Stone
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
ACSI is an off peak card where membership gives you fixed discount prices on inspected sites.
So if you are not going in late July or August you can save a whole lot of money, especially in Switzerland.

Ksagic

Free Member
Feb 21, 2015
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance 890i
Exp
Morning Ksagic,

Just as a matter of interest how much was the fine please?

Thanks
From what I can remember, about 60 euro and passport details taken.

The vignette is very simple to complete just a matter of the date and journey. I remember I kept saying to myself 'must fill that in' when we were travelling around Switzerland and I guess I was just unlucky to hit the exit border into Italy at a quiet moment. When the Customs guy was dealing with me, all the other MH were just sailing through and smiling at me....doh...:rolleyes:...dont let it put you off, its a stunning country to visit..(y)

OP
OP
PhilG

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Do they weigh you , or just look at paperwork ? We wont be there long enough to look round , as it stands now, but that may change.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Just returned from a Ski Trip to Switzerland. Also traversed it a few times in the past.

It is not much hassle,
It is fairly expensive,
It is not very motorhome friendly.

Tolls are not as expensive as people think compared to France.

Thats why so many Swiss escape to neighbouring countries at the weekend (long queues in/out of Annecy as an example). And why so many Swiss chose to be out into Europe in their motorhomes and caravans.

Switzerland: 3 Course Meal = €50
Spain: 3 Course Meal of a similar Standard, €25 or less.

Switzerland: Jungfrau Winter camping for 4 in a motorhome €90 + EHU @ CHF .50 per kWH
France: St. Lary Soulan Pyrenees, ACSI Winter Rate (http://www.camping-le-rioumajou.com/) €20-24 inc EHU

Ksagic

Free Member
Feb 21, 2015
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance 890i
Exp
Do they weigh you , or just look at paperwork ? We wont be there long enough to look round , as it stands now, but that may change.
just the paperwork; basically as you pull up to the border entry crossing which is manned 24/7 they will see the size of your MH and direct you to the Vignette parking bay. Just go to the border offices and you will pay the fee, they check the V5, give you the Vignette and you are on your way...enjoy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back