Stuck in the mud

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by lesleyturner, Jan 16, 2009.

1. lesleyturner

lesleyturner Read Only Funster

My husband and I have recently bought our first motorhome, and we love it. But we are having a recurring problem. We keep getting stuck in the mud. Does anyone have an easy solution?
    Thanks in advance
    Lesley

2. superk

superk Read Only Funster

If you can 'acquire' some bread delivery trays cut the sides off and use the bottom to park your drive wheels on or, all wheels if you have enough (the bottom of the tray could be cut into two pieces). Used these on the RV for four years - not only took the weight but got us off a muddy pitch where 4x4's were spinning.

There are commercial products called Grip Track or similar and I have these but have never had to use them.

:Smile:
    Keith

3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

That's what I have ... or used to have before I lent them out .. :RollEyes:

Another idea is to buy cheap rubber door mats from a pound shop, several can be tied together using cable ties making a long mat that can be used to extract yourself

Don't buy Fiama grip mats .. waste of money ..

Best of all .. don't drive onto a wet pitch without first walking it.. if it feels soggy .. don't go on.. and always park with the nose facing out.. if you use leveling blocks, reverse onto them, when you come off you will have good forward motion.

4. Castaway

Castaway Funster

We had the same problem when we first started Motorhoming but solved the problem by buying a length of 'portable path', cutting it into 4 pieces and parking it on that.
    Same sort of idea as the other suggestions on this thread.

5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

failing everything else.....a gentle back and forth rocking motion using 1st and reverse will generally get you going providing you dont over-rev it and start to spin.
    rock it and get free....spin it and dig deeper in.

6. ruffingitsmoothly

ruffingitsmoothly Read Only Funster

I agree with Jim the bottoms of bread trays have worked for us:thumb::thumb:

[​IMG]

Regards pat

7. arnie

arnie Deleted User

Stay out of the mud Lesley

8. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Some front wheel drive vans are made with so much storage behind the back axle that they don't even need mud to start sliding all over the place. A bit of morning dew would have us worried in our Bessecar E495. It had a very large rear overhang and when overloading as we invariably were, we had hardly any weight on the drive wheels, add an even slight bit of up hill and we were going nowhere.

Your best bet, as many have said, is to plan ahead, keep your drive wheels on hard ground or on some sort of support. Best of Luck and don't worry too much, there is always someone to help. I have seen plenty of people stuck in mud over the years but none of them are still stuck today:BigGrin: