Storage?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by KeithChesterfield, Sep 8, 2016.

1. KeithChesterfield

KeithChesterfield Funster

I normally keep the Motorhome on the drive at the side of the house but I'm thinking of putting the MH in storage when we're not using it and wondered if anyone else uses storage.

Did it affect your insurance premium and, if so, by about how much?

:france::france::france::france:

2. ianandkath

ianandkath Funster

i keep mine on a secure accredited site and this made the insurance cheaper.

its a cossa(or something) gold site, and i keep it there cos its too big to bring home

it was about £100 cheaper because of this, its still over £500 though.

3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

What you save on insurance will be more than swallowed up by storage fees ..

In storage it won't have an EHU to keep the batteries in good condition nor can you keep an eye on it.. or do little jobs.

keeping it clean, and the site may not have washing facilities ..

personally I'd hate to have mine in storage...

• Like Like x 1
  4. Hymie

Hymie Funster

£480 a year to store ours at the nearest site to us, Carson gold site, crammed in like sardines, puddles like lakes on the floor after rain and van always covered in cobwebs and leaves.

After 3 years of this we recently visited a cs/cl site and the owner has offered us a parking spot in a locked compound for £150 a year when our term ends at new year.

Insurance will go up by £60, so £270 better off next year.

Hymie

• Like Like x 2
  5. ianandkath

ianandkath Funster

ours is on hard standing, with ehu post behind and a water tap by the side, so batteries and washing is no problem.

just can't sleep overnight

6. Gizmouk

Gizmouk Funster

Hi. We are in the same compound as you. The only reason we still use the place is that it's just down the road from where we live.
    Would be interested to know where you've been offered storage, as we've looked around but have yet to find anywhere local.

The only reason why the site we're in has gold accreditation is because the owner is ex-police and called in favours. In reality, it's not secure at all from three sides - and has no cameras in the actual storage compound.
    Anyone can buy a pint at the Green Dragon, walk across the field, and break into as many caravans/MHs as they want - then wander back and finish their pint.

7. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

CASSOA rated storage sites may lower the insurance premium, and some insurers will insist on it for some vehicles.

However there are perfectly good storage sites that choose not to go for CASSOA accreditation. We currently pay £375 pa for a non-CASSOA storage site that is better than the CASSOA Silver site we previously used, that was further from home. I believe the insurance is about £30 pa more but the fuel saving is substantial - 15 miles as opposed to 50 miles.

We have a solar panel with a split relay charging circuit between the leisure and cab batteries so we can keep our cab battery topped up for 9 months of the year without a problem. Dec - Feb I drive the MH around for a bit about once every month to keep the batteries topped up, or may put it on the EHU at home for a day or two.

We could fit our MH on our front garden (just) but don't want to. It blocks the light into our front room and the neighbour's front room, it would stop us parking our car on the drive, and it's probably less secure at home than it is in the storage compound.

8. KeithChesterfield

KeithChesterfield Funster

Thanks for all the helpful replies.

We have a solar panel that charges both leisure and starter batteries so that's not a problem.

Our MH will fit on the drive at the side of the house, but only just, and it's a pain when we want to do any work between the front and back doors – the wheelie bins can't get past it and having to back it out and park on the road is neither easy or sensible on a regular basis.

The storage site we're hoping to use has good security fencing, CCTV and padlocked gate with security card access but is not a CaSSOA accredited site.

It's around four miles away from us so visiting regularly isn't a problem.

All I really wanted was to know about how much more, or less, it might cost for my insurance – which is due for renewal in October.

Again thanks.

:france::france::france::france:

9. Easyliving

Easyliving Funster

We keep our van in a Cassoa gold storage site, only £190 per year. Its all hardcore so there is no chance of getting stuck in the mud, a problem we have had with other storage sites.

Also our site has a cleaning service, I had the van washed and waxed for £25 the other day - did a decent job too.

Paul

• Like Like x 1
  10. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

now that you have explained that storage is better for you.. .. understood (y)

Some years ago I had an RV in storage near Chelmsford. Being 36 ft it couldn't stay on the drive.. but I hated having to drive to it do anything to it, and when we were getting ready for a trip everything had to be taken by car then loaded.. then coming home, loaded back into the car and taken home. It was just so inconvenient..

When we bought our present van my main criteia was it had to fit on an 8mt long drive.. wouldn't have one in storage again..

I appreciate that some have no choice... but given the choice.. parking at home for me is a must

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Adbt

Adbt Funster

Our motorhome storage
    24 hrs access , absolutely no need to inform .
    16 amp EHU
    4 separate code activated security gates
    Alarmed
    Full washing facility
    Indoors with rodent protection
    Fully lit
    Padlock protected metal barrier to actual storage shed
    Electric raised bollard behind third security gates
    Electric shutters behind metal barrier
    Fully tarmaced and concrete access throughout

Personally I would hate NOT to have mine in storage!

• Like Like x 2