Stopovers to Basel ? (1 Viewer)

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
I am leaving for Italy Friday 2nd Sept arriving Calais around midnight I am looking for a stopover/aire/sleepy spot thats about 2 hours away on route to Basel. I take the route via Lux Metz down A35 to Basel I just wanna get a good few hours sleep. So I can plod on to Basel where I would like suggestions where I can stop just outside the border or not far from it maybe in a nice village or near a river spend the evening people watching or watching world go by on Sat eve.

I then plan to dash through Switzerland to Italy on Sunday where I have Lakeside reservation at Camping Cappuccini for a few days. Any ideas greatly appreciated thanks Paul

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Two hours from Calais en route to Metz is Saint-Quentin, Avenue du General de Gaulle.

An open parking area used by trucks and MHs, directly opposite the Police Station, right next to the canal. Free overnight parking was tolerated there the last time we used it. CCI website still shows it as a MH stopover.

Nearer Basel, check the CCI website Departement 68 (Haut Rhin) - loads of MH overnight parking spots along the Rhine by the look of it.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
When we took that route in the spring we "cut the corner" from Metz using the A31, N57 and N66, going via Nancy and Epinal and joining the A35 at Mulhouse. Road is scenic and fine for motorhomes. Most of it is dual carriageway except from the last 20 miles or so of the N66.

We wanted to cross into Switzerland in the morning so we could dash through to Italy in a day, like you. We stopped about half and hour from Basle in a nice little Aire in the village/small town of Thann on the N66. If you go for the Aire in the All the Aires book it is in a quiet corner of the a car park next to a nice little river and a minute's walk from the centre of town. No facilities there, but a good night's sleep, as long as you like the sound of running water.

There is a free dump and tap in another Aire in town by the small supermarket just off the main road through, but I would not stay there because it is near the road and railway. You can find it in the Camper Contacts app. We stopped there on the way out to dump and fill up and also to visit the supermarket.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back