Stole from FB, hope this wasn't a Funster (1 Viewer)

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Seemingly happened near Ambleside today

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 451

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
looks like the motorhome hit the cherry picker's arm whilst it was over the road. or am i missing something, what's the story

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Not sure what's hit what but looking at the position of the cherry picker it would appear that it has 'settled' onto the top of the MH and pushed it down ... look at the way the MH is pushed down on the suspension on that side without any obvious damage to the overcab area. We've had to be careful a few times when waved on by roadworkers when they've been using some pieces of plant/machinery as they don't take into account higher vehicles or the 'swing' from the booms etc.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: f6c
Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.Minxy Girl.
IF, it was working in the road and the traffic was allowed to pass on the other carriageway,there should have been a "Banksman" signaling to the driver of the cherry picker,when and when not to slew. Looks as if there could be a vacancy coming up on that job soon.
Another reason could be a "Ghost",for reasons of their own,some equipment developes movements with no operator input,trip out for your friendly Ghost buster fitter.
Tea Bag

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Looks like the cherry picker operator came down on top of the motorhome to me.

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
looks like the motorhome hit the cherry picker's arm whilst it was over the road. or am i missing something, what's the story
No idea just someone stuck in the traffic jam took the picture, no idea what actually happened

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi.Minxy Girl.
IF, it was working in the road and the traffic was allowed to pass on the other carriageway,there should have been a "Banksman" signaling to the driver of the cherry picker,when and when not to slew. Looks as if there could be a vacancy coming up on that job soon.
Another reason could be a "Ghost",for reasons of their own,some equipment developes movements with no operator input,trip out for your friendly Ghost buster fitter.
Tea Bag
Agree but we have first hand experience of even with a 'banksman' they still sometimes signal us to go by but we decide to wait as we like the 'shape' of our camper!

Same reason if there's a tight gap I'll guide hubby through rather than rely on anyone else ... they just don't realise they have to accommodate the height as well as the width!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
one of my friends lost his job with the local electricity board when he drove his van in to get diesel with the cherry picker attached part raised and hit the forecourt canopy

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Could be a hose split on the cherry picker and it dropped.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
one of my friends lost his job with the local electricity board when he drove his van in to get diesel with the cherry picker attached part raised and hit the forecourt canopy
I smashed down a whole row of fluorescent bulbs under a filling station canopy with the antennas on a Saracen personnel carrier........:) The manager came out doing his nut, even more so when I drove out under the other half.........:unsure:

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
I smashed down a whole row of fluorescent bulbs under a filling station canopy with the antennas on a Saracen personnel carrier........:) The manager came out doing his nut, even more so when I drove out under the other half.........:unsure:
HI. Tootles
DON'T go on the Shuttle with one,the Antennas will poke up through the roof of the cage and your hair will be......."Curly at Calais :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:."
Tea Bag (Made to take CB aerials off)

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
Do you think some gaffa tape will stop the water coming in.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
must of looked like a -kin huge dodgem car

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Ha ha I did that too in North Wales as lead vehicle in a convoy going on exercise in Capel Curig twin aerials wing mounted 9 feet high , much broken glass and grinding of teeth and much guffawing from the rest of the bods watching :)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
HI. Tootles
DON'T go on the Shuttle with one,the Antennas will poke up through the roof of the cage and your hair will be......."Curly at Calais :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:."
Tea Bag (Made to take CB aerials off)
Small stuff that, a few light tubes. One clown drove his lorry through the Blackwall tunnel north bound hit the dongle tubes, carried on and brought down nearly every light in there , 100's. He got arrested at the far end

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It would have taken the overcab off with the impact, look how low the cab is on its o/s.
The cherry picker has come down on the roof and compressed the suspension.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
Yes we followed a truck through the tunnel south bound. I had to back of as hit most of the lights. The Police were very piss-d of with him. Had to close the tunnel to clear up the mess.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Don't really care if it was a funster or not - frightening for all involved. Hopefully no one was hurt.

I hope there is not too much hassle getting the insurance sorted.

kalamitty

Free Member
Nov 16, 2012
cheshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 89
looks like operator error to me, used to use them at work he should have lowered the boom more, seems he was going move the picker and moved wrong boom.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
If its UK, as said above should be check valve on all personnel access lifts.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back