Still no mouse

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by slobadoberbob, Feb 4, 2012.

1. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

As you will know from a post I put on yesterday, my Alarm went of at 02.15 and reset and went off again.

Spoke to HQ at VB (VanBitz) and it was suggested I set a mouse trap and turn alarm the van as night mode. (knocks out the internal movement sensor)...

Did as instructed.. no alarm went off (well it would not with the internal sector switched off) and this morning the cheese is still in place..... perhaps it does not like the cheddar we have?

But no we have not caught a mouse, perhaps he or she only eats once a week?

I can see a long drive ahead of me next month to have Eddies people look at the issue.

If, and I say if I catch a mouse I will let you all know... I am sure you will all want to know:Blush:

Bob:RollEyes:

2. big map

big map Funster Life Member

Chocolate

Try baiting the trap with chocolate instead of cheese.

• Like Like x 3
  3. CHRI$

CHRI$ Funster

mice like chocolate,more than cheese:thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  4. spannermanwigan

spannermanwigan Read Only Funster

:thumb:raw bacon works well:thumb:

5. CHRI$

CHRI$ Funster

full sunday roast sometimes works:Rofl1:

• Like Like x 5
  6. slobadoberbob

of will give it some of my easter egg

OK I will give it a bit of my easter egg (the one I opened early yesterday)....

Dog lives better than me, now a bloody mouse.. mind you I did put a handful of box mixer out of the fox that lives at the bottom of the garden.. looks very healthy this year and was wondering about the garden at 4 p.m. yesterday... Ezzie is not to fond of it.. but the fox is faster than her.. she is now 80 kgs the vet weighed her yesterday.. she is now on a handful of mixer less a day and fewer liver square biscuits..

Anyway back to the mouse... any more suggestions?

Bob:Blush:

7. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

I have had great success with the electronic mouse traps we got ours from B&Q they seem to catch even the smallest mouse, we get the small field mice in cold weather and these seem the only things that trap them. Ordinary traps they eat the food without triggering the trap. These work on a charged capacitor and only requires the mouse to contact both plates. We often find they will catch a mouse in a few hours.
    Our best result so far was 2 in the trap together they both came in together.
    We have found peanut butter is the best bait.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  8. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

Yep a snake, snakes love mice:Wink:

Ps. and they don't like chocolate.

• Like Like x 2
  9. niggle

niggle Banned - Rule 1

still recon spider /others ???

10. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

Nop spiders don't eat mice:Cool:

• Like Like x 1
  11. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

OK, what bait do you place in a spider trap ? :BigGrin:

12. sedge

sedge Funster

Someone told us Nutella is really good, but not sure if you need to spread it on Brioche tranche or croissants? :Laughing:

We had great success with our fieldmice (in the kitchen when we first moved in), using chocolate buttons. However they were persistent repeat offenders and we had to resort to the Little Nipper in the finish, which practically finished me off too. I'd happily set - and empty! - the humane perspex ones I'd trawled Coventry for days on end to find, used to catch em OK and we'd walk 'half a mile' and let em out in a field ..... only to find one of their rellies in them again the next day. But couldn't handle the SPLAT variety at all.

It has to stop somewhere and what really did it was one night when we were washing up, one of the little blighters appeared, ran along the back edge of the draining board, up the mixer tap, plonked himself down on the horizontal part and started washing his whiskers! So sweet. But he really did have to go ...... :cry:

• Like Like x 1
  13. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

He did all that to entertain you,------------- and you killed him:cry:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Cyclewalkbob

Cyclewalkbob Funster

We had a mouse infestation in the House and have tried cheese in a standard trap - didn't work.

Chocolate in a Standard trap - worked well but not the best thing for the kids to see the death throw of a mouse.

Under pressure was told to buy a humane muse trap ( I though it as a standard one with a heavier spring:Doh:) but no the mouse goes into a little transparent box and triggers a lever which drops down behind it. Then you have to take it in your car and open t somewhere away from the house and possibly near someone else's so that the kids think it will find a new home!!!!

Now mice have gone and kids grown up and we have peace!:RollEyes:

15. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

the best bait I've found is opal fruits, they stick to the trap well and not easily dislodged.

• Like Like x 1
  16. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0K8lrVjT6fM[/ame]

• Like Like x 5
  17. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Try smearing something like chunky peanut butter or softish chocolate on the trap, from experience cheese is no good:Angry: Some traps can even allow the mouse to lift the bait without setting the trap off, so with this in mind use something that will stick to the base of the trap.

Not sure what type of trap you've been using, but I use the "false teeth" type one and have successfully caught 8 or 9 mice in the workshop over the last three weeks:thumb:
    I don't see the point to the "humane" ones, if you let them out one day, they're only going to be back again the next day.
    It is too costly for me to have mice damage my expensive moulds, so it's got to be "wham" in the end!
    Best of luck!

Margaret

• Like Like x 1
  18. slobadoberbob

well I have some ideas now

Great.. thanks I have lots ideas now... trying to get Sue to give me a bit of an early easter egg.. cheese is still there... may try Rogers idear.. any excuse for some sweets... I know we have them in the garage as someone or it has eaten the wrapping around the stored tomatoes sauces bottles.. plus the plastic around the bake beans (4 pack).. I wonder if it is the same family...

But nothing in the RV as yet...

Bob

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  19. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Thankfully our meeces are still working overtime in the garage/workshop and haven't as yet discovered the warm interior of the mh that sits outside.
    Each night we set the trap in the workshop and there's always success in the morning, they must be lining up waiting:Eek!: We don't even need to bait this trap with anything.
    But I know the damage they can do to my ceramic moulds, (not to mention the van interior) so I don't get sentimental about those cute little faces with the whiskers in the morning.............anyway you would think that they would've learned the hard way by now:Doh:

Margaret:Sad:

• Like Like x 1