Sticking electric cables to top of motorhome ? (1 Viewer)

Gazza333

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 695
Exp
hi
On top of our motorhome we have a cable going from front to back. (Tv point to booster ) all glanded etc but the cable was held down by them sticky pads and tie wrap type affairs.

I think a branch has pulled them all off or the pads have lost there sticky as when cleaning the roof today they are all detached. Now do I replace with similar or is there some better way of fixing the cable down ?

Gary

OP
OP
G

Gazza333

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 695
Exp
Thanks all. Just found some silks flex in the garage so have to sort it tomorrow

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Out of date is fine for light duty like trunking.
Personally I find it best to use trunking with the double sided tape on the back.
This you can stick in place immediately and wire it. Then a bead of Sikaflex along the two edges. Setting time is thus not an issue.

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Just thought to add that when fixing cable or conduit, think of which way the water will run on your roof so that you don't create mini dams which result in water and dirt trapped on your roof. I have seen this plenty of times and the owners usually complain of black streaks.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Just thought to add that when fixing cable or conduit, think of which way the water will run on your roof so that you don't create mini dams which result in water and dirt trapped on your roof. I have seen this plenty of times and the owners usually complain of black streaks.
That is actually the reason I did not use mini trunking.. Was of the opinion it was a potential water trap ( and the Autotrail roof already holds several gallons without any help at all ! When we pull to a stop in heavy raid in is like sitting behind an above average sized water fall )

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Trunking does not need to be sealed. It can be left open at the ends and stop started with a gap at corners :whistle:

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
That is actually the reason I did not use mini trunking.. Was of the opinion it was a potential water trap ( and the Autotrail roof already holds several gallons without any help at all ! When we pull to a stop in heavy raid in is like sitting behind an above average sized water fall )

It's really easy to put a "hump" in a run of the white plastic trunking just by playing a hairdryer over it for a few seconds, until the trunking becomes bendable and then form it up over and down over a piece of wood or similar. Once cooled it stays in that new form - so just remove wood former from under it and then glue/sikaflex trunking into place.
(Practice on a spare piece to see how much heat to apply so that it just becomes maleable).

You can use this same trick for bending such trunking around corners etc inside the MH (and in the house too), although it only works for relatively gentle bends.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
What a good and simple idea. I have 'bent' enough plastics in my time with heat guns ( custom bikes.. altering fairings and screens ) but never thought about using the method on trunking
Mind you, I still would not use trunking on the roof of the van to be honest

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back