Sticking down solar panels. (2 Viewers)

Aug 22, 2020
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
3 years and learning!
Throughout my life I have learnt that there are well established brands for anything to do with motorhomes, polishing your car, painting your house etc etc that some owners will follow without question, sometimes warranted but often spending a lot of unnecessary money (imho), it's good advertising and sales tactics but it's your choice. With all due respect, if you choose to go with one or other brand of sealants and adhesives, you will have to follow it through.

Jun 25, 2021
Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Is it really necessary so use both the Sika Primer 206 G+P and the SIKA AKTIVATOR 205? That's more than another Ā£50 on top of the Sikaflex 522:oops:
I don't know, I followed the advice, like I say I only used a bit out of either bottle. And if anyone can answer why it has a use by date I would like to know. I would have passed it on to someone who could use it.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Finally got around to mounting my solar panel today. Roughed up the roof and the underneath of the ali areodynamic mounts, Aktivator 205, Two bottles of sikaflex 522

Not moved the van since. Not sure I will go over 10 miles an hour from now on!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Sandancers
May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Finally got around to mounting my solar panel today. Roughed up the roof and the underneath of the ali areodynamic mounts, Aktivator 205, Two bottles of sikaflex 522

Not moved the van since. Not sure I will go over 10 miles an hour from now on!

Any idea how long you have to leave the sikaflex 522 before it is fully cured ?

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Any idea how long you have to leave the sikaflex 522 before it is fully cured ?

I seem to recall people saying not to move for 24 hours. I must admit I haven't checked as I'm not intending going anywhere soon.

DPSharp

Free Member
Apr 15, 2023
West Mids, UK
Funster No
MH
Romahome
The last details I now need to consider for fitting of the solar panel involve finding the correct adhesive to fix down the supports for the solar panel. I DO NOT want to use any screw fixings into the roof of the MH at all.

Having been aware that many people use Sikaflex I tried phoning them, on the UK number, to speak to a technical person to ensure I got the best adhesive for the job, I got passed from pillar to post and never got to speak to anyone who could advise. I tried emailing their technical enquiry email, no reply.

So basically, can anyone advise on their preferred adhesive to fix down the solar panel supports, type shown below, and also to a website or official youtube video from the adhesive company showing their correct method of preparation and assembly to use the adhesive ?

SOLAR-M-4-247x247.png
Sikaflex is very good ct1 is even better though. Comes on clear too.

OP
OP
Sandancers
May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Sikaflex is very good ct1 is even better though. Comes on clear too.

I have already bought the 522, but I'm wondering why when I eventually got to speak to the Sikaflex technical man and explained my job he didn't say to use ct1 if it is better ?

DPSharp

Free Member
Apr 15, 2023
West Mids, UK
Funster No
MH
Romahome
I have already bought the 522, but I'm wondering why when I eventually got to speak to the Sikaflex technical man and explained my job he didn't say to use ct1 if it is better ?
Two different companies possibly? Probably not going to praise a rival product.

Dec 3, 2021
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
6m Campervan
I have two panels stuck with 522 on my roof. They've travelled over 8000 miles so far and still stuck fast.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
I have two panels stuck with 522 on my roof. They've travelled over 8000 miles so far and still stuck fast.

Just given mine a good tug and they seem well stuck. Gonna be nervous when we take them out on the motorway next Friday though!

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
Further reading is highlighted that 252 is also recommended (not sure if that is older than 522) and also that 291i is better than 522!!!!

Steve-N

Free Member
Sep 14, 2021
Cheltenham, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Camper
Exp
2nd Campervan since 2019
My van is a Ducato, so with ribbed roof, which means that I intend to fasten the panels down on the long edge at 1640 long. I still have the option to use short brackets on the forward edge where the ribs allow in order to help to stop the panel lifting. Hence my request for the amount of sticky stuff required to stick them down. I quite like the tip to use 3x2 angle as this will give me a larger area to stick down.
I have the same van, and due to the roof ribs, I have made up some hard plastic 'spacers' to infill the rib troughs, stick these down with adhesive first, then the panel supports on top.

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
I used puraflex 40 from Toolstation on western approach šŸ‘šŸ»

Also give the plastic mounts a good key on the bottom I also drill some 6mm holes along the edges so the puraflex comes through then mushroom them over.

View attachment 710268
Sooooo clean :giggle:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I have the same van, and due to the roof ribs, I have made up some hard plastic 'spacers' to infill the rib troughs, stick these down with adhesive first, then the panel supports on top.
Don't block the channels or you will trap water and accelerate any rusting

The only other important point not already made here is galvanic reaction caused by different metals in contact, like untreated steel bolts in aluminium

2x2camper

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Don't block the channels or you will trap water and accelerate any rusting

The only other important point not already made here is galvanic reaction caused by different metals in contact, like untreated steel bolts in aluminium
The channels are already blocked by the roof vents. On mine water cannot flow out of the channels between the front and back vents.

PatE460

Free Member
Jun 19, 2023
Olney, UK
Funster No
MH
E460 besscarr
Exp
2018 went to Europe lived in my van 2 years
On my current Bessiccar E460 and my earlier van Ifixed a 220W solar panel, this was the biggest panel I had space for. I used the same method for both I used 3M VHB Tape (Very High Bond) This is the stuff used to stick panels onto the outside of sky scrapers.
But you have to make sure both surfaces are a solution clean. Follow the instalation to the letter.
You only have to drill one hole to get the cable in. You can cover that hole with Cable Box with a weather proof seal.

Dec 18, 2017
Lowestoft UK
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 524
Exp
since 2003
I think if the advice you got from the professionals said 522 then I would take there word for it. There isn't enough of a price difference to worry about, and you feel confident with what you have.
I have used Sika for years, and never had any issues.
My question for the person that posted CT1 would be, who said CT1 is better. I know it is good, I have used for all sorts of jobs. If it helps, its great for sticking the soles back on my shoes. Be happy Sandancers.

GaryGavlaar

Free Member
Feb 13, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E695
Amazon product ASIN B0B69JT31S
Are these the ones that we are recommending over abs plastic corner brackets.

Would just two of these be ok for my 170w victron panel at 670mm wide and just shy of 1500mm long?

Aug 22, 2020
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
3 years and learning!

Would just two of these be ok for my 170w victron panel at 670mm wide and just shy of 1500mm long?
These are the ones I used, several different suppliers but all pretty much the same, ally with a big ribbed footprint, the panel I used them on was a little bigger than yours but cannot remember exact dimensions, I used 4 sets, 1 for each end and 1 for the sides, I also infilled the smaller gaps left with abs pieces and 4 abs on each corner, the leading edge of the panel was completely infilled so acted as a wind deflector, this minimized areas where air could be forced under and cause potential lift but allowed adequate ventilation under the panel.
Belts and brace but then I'm not a "real" engineer!

IMG_0517.JPG

GaryGavlaar

Free Member
Feb 13, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E695
These are the ones I used, several different suppliers but all pretty much the same, ally with a big ribbed footprint, the panel I used them on was a little bigger than yours but cannot remember exact dimensions, I used 4 sets, 1 for each end and 1 for the sides, I also infilled the smaller gaps left with abs pieces and 4 abs on each corner, the leading edge of the panel was completely infilled so acted as a wind deflector, this minimized areas where air could be forced under and cause potential lift but allowed adequate ventilation under the panel.
Belts and brace but then I'm not a "real" engineer!

View attachment 773577
670mm is the width of my panel and 670mm is the width of the ally bracket so will completely fill the front and back side so hopefully have the same effect.

Jul 22, 2020
Newent, UK
Funster No
MH
Etrusco T6900
Exp
changing a load of things again
I wouldn't use those plastic brackets, nearly every panel that falls of has been fixed using plastic brackets.
Far better to make or buy some aluminum brackets.
If you do use the plastic brackets you need to make sure you use the correct grade adhesive that is compatible with both surfaces both plastic & the roof material.
agree the plastic ones are rubbish, ali angleall the way

Steve-N

Free Member
Sep 14, 2021
Cheltenham, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Camper
Exp
2nd Campervan since 2019

Same as the ones I used, my panel was 1470mm long, and used one at each end.
Only squeaky bum bit was drilling a 20mm hole for the cables :oops:
(and before anyone says I used way to much adhesive for the TV ariel, that was installed by Elldis . . nice job - not !!)
20230508_151617.jpg

GaryGavlaar

Free Member
Feb 13, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E695
Same as the ones I used, my panel was 1470mm long, and used one at each end.
Only squeaky bum bit was drilling a 20mm hole for the cables :oops:
(and before anyone says I used way to much adhesive for the TV ariel, that was installed by Elldis . . nice job - not !!)
View attachment 773621
They look like plastic ones?

Apr 17, 2023
Funster No
MH
Adamo
The issue I see is plastics degrade very quickly with sunlight whilst aluminium will not.
I wouldn't use those plastic brackets, nearly every panel that falls of has been fixed using plastic brackets.
Far better to make or buy some aluminum brackets.
If you do use the plastic brackets you need to make sure you use the correct grade adhesive that is compatible with both surfaces both plastic & the roof material.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
When I bought a couple of panel off Techno (RIP) he had made aluminium angle brackets and had fitted a dome headed screw under brackets to act as spacer, it worked well
1713422772258.png

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back