BONZO

Free Member
Mar 1, 2012
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Kon tiki 30ft
Exp
Hi what do you funsters think of steering locks ? I have alarms fitted but don't use them as who take any notice of them . I know if someone wants to get in they will. but I want to stop them taking the camper or at least put them off. ....any thoughts. Or should I just connect the vanbody to 240v ....lol

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
I use one when it's parked on the drive (as well as a wheel clamp). I know they are easily defeated by the knowledgeable, but anything which slows the process down is good.

OP
OP
BONZO

BONZO

Free Member
Mar 1, 2012
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Kon tiki 30ft
Exp
Yes I know if they want it bad enough they will take it . So yes let's make it hard for them they just might move on to the next van . Which is not so protected.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
We use a road wheel clamp, that is very easy to see from the road. I would prefer a steering wheel lock, as it is not open to the weather, but with window blinds they would not realise that there was a steering wheel lock until after they had broken in

Nov 13, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2000
I chain and padlock the steering wheel drivers seat and door together

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Deadlocks on all doors before anything else in my opinion. If they can't get in easily they can't nick it easily. They will move onto someone else's van. Thieves tend to want to be able to make a quick escape if they are discovered. If they have to smash a window to get, they will struggle to get out quickly in event of discovery. It will also be a major job for them to remove the deadlock if they are stealing to sell. Deadlocks for me seem to be the best primary defence against both property and vehicle theft?

None of the steering locks, brake locks, wheel locks I have seen would stand up to a decent angle grinder that I can think of????

The second stage of defence is a non start device. Prevent them from starting once they get past your deadlocks.

Finally a good alarm/tracker.

Wheel locks and hitchlocks are for trailers and caravans in my opinion. Steering locks and brake locks are an inconvenience to the determined thief nothing more...

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
PS: these are the guys I bought my deadlocks from. I will be going back to them for my next van. I fitted them myself.
http://www.vanlocks.co.uk/

I will be adding the plates etc next time as well.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
If its just for on your drive remove the two front wheels.

BGB

Free Member
Feb 28, 2016
GAINSBOROUGH
Funster No
MH
PANEL VAN CONVERSION
Exp
SINCE AUGUST 2015
I use a Clutch Claw and a Vanbitz Growler and a driveway post at home....

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Agree silver fox..
In the days of rotor arms I used to take those out but don't know enough about modern engines to fiddle

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back