Steam powered bicycle ... (1 Viewer)

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Ah! I didn't realise electric bikes have to be registered and taxed. So how much tax on an electric bike?
Only if it is powered by motor only i.e. no pedals required to move it and it must be limited to 25kph (15mph) when the motor must cut out.
There are bikes which can be powered up to 45kph, Speed bikes, which should be registered.
It seems though that there is no way of registering them at the moment as DVLA don't have any appropriate class for them.

Richard.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Only if it is powered by motor only i.e. no pedals required to move it and it must be limited to 25kph (15mph) when the motor must cut out.
There are bikes which can be powered up to 45kph, Speed bikes, which should be registered.
It seems though that there is no way of registering them at the moment as DVLA don't have any appropriate class for them.

Richard.
Ironically, they'll end up in the same class as road-going (8mph) disabled scooters.
One extreme to the other in one class.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Nice idea, possibly based on upscaled Mamod kit technology?

I prefer Colin Furze's solution:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Nice piece of engineering.

It looks to me to be a mechanically propelled vehicle with no tax, insurance, registration, lights etc etc. He'll get pulled sooner or later. Sad really but that is the world we live in.

Segways, electric scooters and the like are all stifled by this.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back