Staysure, waste of money

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by chaser, Dec 17, 2014.

1. chaser

chaser Funster

i have touched on this before but no one seems to think it's a problem, they have just been on the phone so I have asked the direct question, do you have to book a return ticket at the same time as your going out one, and it was an emphatic yes, even if it is a yearly multi trip policy.
    So in effect even though we had paid £150 each we were not insured last year when we were away five weeks without a return ticket, so what's the point of having it, ok for short trips when you more than likely won't need it any way, but no use at all if you are going for more than 30 days together or on an open ended trip.
    Anyone know different?

• Like Like x 3
  2. bernardfeay

bernardfeay Read Only Funster

Our best brains devote their skills to advertising insurance policies that make you think you are covered for everything when the small print is so cleverly worded that you are covered for almost nothing.

• Like Like x 7
  3. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Insurance is the biggest con ever and it's legal.

• Like Like x 7
  4. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

I doubt any others are different! If this the case no problem. With tunnel frequent traveller being so flexible will book a return in future...Have changed crossings 4 times in the past, its easy online....

• Like Like x 1
  5. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

The return trip clause has been mentioned many times. Often by me after I found out.. We took Staysure out for the 2013 season and like many others used to book a single ferry ticket out and buy another online a few days before the return.. Someone mentioned the return trip clause and I moved from Staysure when they hiked the premium up for 2014...
    Currently with LV, I did query the return trip with them on the phone and they said it was fine.. Never managed to get it in writing though...

• Like Like x 1
  6. JJ

JJ Funster

Insurance = Theft

JJ :cool:

• Like Like x 3
  7. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Only SOME times :) !!! lol !!

8. Dorwyn

Dorwyn Funster

Where's the logic in that clause? I can't see how it affects anything. I never book returns nowadays until a day or two before because of the silly prices that ferry companies like DFDS charge for changes to the booking. I never imagined that would have an effect on the road insurance. Does this also apply to travel and breakdown policies?

• Like Like x 1
  9. chaser

chaser Funster

This is not road insurance, this is travel and medical

10. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

Who says that you have to use the return ticket? Book a cheap return (Calais to Dover for example) pick a ridiculous time, like 2 in the morning, you can get them for about £50. Then come home when you feel like it, either before or after?

[Edit to add]
    On a number of occasions I have booked return travel because it made the ticket cheaper than one way, even though I had no intention of using one leg of the journey! Might be worth looking into.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  11. chaser

chaser Funster

Yes you are quite right, not disputing there are probably ways around it but for anyone who doesn't know about it will be blissfully traveling about haveing paid their £200 or whatever, totally without any insurance because of this, as someone else mentioned you could book the tunnel back at the same time then alter it at a later date, but if they have the slightest chance of not paying out on a technicality , you can bet your bottom dollar they will do.

12. burtonbird

burtonbird Funster

I was told that it is a holiday insurance and if no return is booked it is not classed as a holiday. So invalid insurance. She did say all holiday medical insurers have the same policy and the only way round it is to get backpackers insurance!!!

13. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

Same here with Staysure last year. Didn't read the small print until 3 weeks into our trip. Emailed them and they said if I booked a return while I was in France we would be covered.
    Made sure I booked a return this time when we booked with carefree. C&cc club.

14. Bruce

Bruce Read Only Funster

Just another thought we had a short break to Majorca in October, while we were there a lady had a nasty fall down the stairs and fractured her skull and had to receive an emergency operation .Her son had to fly over straight away and when handling her insurance was told that because she had alcohol in her blood stream her insurance was null and void. This lady was not drunk by any means, so this indicates that anyone that takes a drink on holiday will have wasted their time taking out insurance in the event of an accident. Any thoughts on this.................Bruce

15. Dorwyn

Dorwyn Funster

I booked a really cheap return with said DFDS, needed to get back a day early, they charged me 3 times the original 2-way cost for the single return journey, and the ferry was nearly empty, about 30 cars on board, cerainly less than a hundred. So I have never used them since, which I reckon has cost them quite a few hundred pounds. Of course, they don't know that, but I do. So there!

• Like Like x 2
  16. bryandh

bryandh Funster

Like Tonka and other funsters on the Morocco 2013 trip, we had an "open ended" return ticket purchased from the famous Carlos in Algeciras. In an attempt to cover all the bases, we like many others took out what we believed to be appropriate and adequate medical cover for the trip........... with Staysure!!!! Alarming to now discover that we were not covered for our stay as our return portion of the trip although purchased, was not a dated return.
    Many thanks for the heads up, will study small print more closely in future, and will certainly avoid Staysure.

Regards, Bryan

17. PaulyP

PaulyP Funster

Just shows they will find any excuse not to pay out on a claim.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

And there can't be many people who don't take a drink when on holiday. So any insurance must be void? Whether a return is booked or not?

19. chaser

chaser Funster

Just got to make sure your e111 or whatever they call it now is up to date, then I think the others are pretty much useless in our situation

20. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

I can no longer get cover for pre-existing medical conditions - and have a feeling that if I did fall ill on holiday it would be blamed on the pre-existing..... so if and when we do venture across the channel will see if the household insurance can be extended to cover the contents of the motorhome. Otherwise motorhome contents might be uninsured or at our own risk. I am not suggesting anyone else does this - it's just a possibility I am thinking about.

Okay so repatriation won't be covered if I fall ill but as I am happy to say I would be treated elsewhere in Europe if necessary I don't really see a problem with this.