Staying in Europe longer than 90 days without a visa

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Originalsmoothie, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Originalsmoothie

Originalsmoothie Funster

My American wife Cynthia thinks she may have found a solution to staying in the Schengan group of countries for longer than 90 days. Here's what she's found on a French consulate website...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

American family members of european passport holders

Please note that you do not need any visa to enter and live in France for longer than 3 months if :

[​IMG] you hold a valid U.S. passport

[​IMG] and you are the legal spouse (marriage certificate) or child (under 18y.o.) of a citizen of the above listed countries

[​IMG] and you are accompanying your spouse / parent who is also moving to France.

However, you will have to apply for the residence permit ("carte de séjour pour membre de famille d’un ressortissant européen") within 2 months of entry into France, at the Préfecture of city of residence. Note that it is always advisable to contact the Préfecture BEFORE leaving the U.S., in order to get a complete list of documents to provide to apply for such permit.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am concerned about the final paragraph. How do motorhome owners deal with this as they are not in a full time residence? Any ideas?

2. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I don't think the problem is travelling around the Schengen countries, I don't think anyone is too bothered. The paragraphs you quote seem to be about living in France, not touring/visiting.

The problem will be when she eventually leaves Europe and her passport is scanned at the airport. If she arrived in the UK and leaves from there then the system will know at once if she has overstayed. But does that also work if she leaves from France having arrived in Europe in another country? Do their passport scanning machines talk to each other? I don't know.

3. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

Think she shuld be OK leaving from another European country's.
    That can't stop IS how thay going to stop us from moving around.
    Bill

• Like Like x 1
  4. Originalsmoothie

Originalsmoothie Funster

I'm assuming that the checks are done at the point of exit so I don't want her to overstay her allowed time. American passport holders appear to be legally allowed to stay as long as they like providing that they are married to a UK passport holder. The point I want to clarify is how we deal with the fact that we don't have a fixed address which we can register as per their final paragraph in my first post.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ColinandDawn

ColinandDawn Funster

6. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

I think it's the last point "accompanying your spouse......who is moving to France"
    British ex-pats used to have to apply for the Carte de Sejour before all the EU regs made it redundant. It acted as an I.D card once you had it, as all French nationals carry I.D cards.
    Once you have the Carte de Sejour, you've given an address that would be where you're renting/ buying/ bought/ staying with relatives. You'd also be in the system to complete tax returns once you're there for 180 days.

I think checking with French Consulate is your best bet.

• Informative Informative x 1