Starting trip to Outer Hebrides 2023 (1 Viewer)

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Broadford Co-op is usually the cheapest diesel in Skye (and cheaper than nearby gas stations on the mainland) and as far as I'm aware has the only lpg pump

Last edited:
OP
OP
Otter Spotter
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
CWH where are you based? On Skye I presume.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Otter Spotter
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
I quickly learnt that U.K. plates donā€™t guarantee U.K. driver, driving north of Ullapool a few years discussing why they had arrows on the road showing which side of read to use, next thing had a small car with think Chinese passengers coming straight at me šŸ˜³ presumed tourists in hire car. No harm done and I hope they learnt a bigger lesson than I did

More feedback on Broadford camp site appreciated itā€™s on our list for next trip šŸ‘
Couple of Photos of Broadford camp site. The white gravel seems to be new to widen the pitches.

4FED9FD4-7CF7-4FC3-A617-25D9D55E2928.jpeg9059D31D-E1A9-4257-8C3F-61BBE45527AB.jpeg

OP
OP
Otter Spotter
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
So now CalMac has cancelled our Ferry from Uig to Tarbet on Saturday and moved us to the 10.30am ferry Ullapool to Stornoway šŸ‘æ so was going to stock up on Skye Brewery bottles but will have forget that idea. Still going up to Skye Skyns early tomorrow before we drive over to Ullapool, No camp sites open until April so enforced wild camping on a Friday night šŸ‘šŸ‘šŸ‘

Dec 2, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Sunliving S60SP
Exp
Just completed our First Overnighter
I look forward to hearing about your trip too.
We are heading to the Hebrides in early May, so looking forward to it as itā€™s been on my bucket list for years.

Any tips or advice you may have will be gratefully received!
Have fun.
Hello everyone
We are off on a 3 week Western Isle road trip on 28th April. We are going to Mull , Skye and Lewis/Harris, so looking forward to the trip. We have booked our ferries and lucky that ā€œMauriceā€ is only 5.99 Mtrs long! We have booked a number of sites and then will wild camp the rest
Will look forward to hearing about every bodies experience and will hopefully post a few pics if we can get Wi-Fi!
John

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
CalMac has cancelled our Ferry from Uig to Tarbet on Saturday and moved us to the 10.30am ferry Ullapool to Stornoway
Have they had to delay opening the port at Uig for a bit longer then?

Oct 4, 2022
Henfield, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
Since 2021 (previous tent campers)
So now CalMac has cancelled our Ferry from Uig to Tarbet on Saturday and moved us to the 10.30am ferry Ullapool to Stornoway šŸ‘æ so was going to stock up on Skye Brewery bottles but will have forget that idea. Still going up to Skye Skyns early tomorrow before we drive over to Ullapool, No camp sites open until April so enforced wild camping on a Friday night šŸ‘šŸ‘šŸ‘
Is that a common occurrence dā€™you think? Or due to dodgy weather?
Uig to Ullapool is about a 3hr drive!

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Some info here
I know that if they have to reduce meterage travelling, they'll move mohos for preference over cars as we have our own accommodation and can better absorb the disruption.

OP
OP
Otter Spotter
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Some info here
I know that if they have to reduce meterage travelling, they'll move mohos for preference over cars as we have our own accommodation and can better absorb the disruption.
Checked and called them, if you read it it says 24th to 27th ferry will be Ullapool to Lochmaddy, but they swear blind, no itā€™s Ullapool Stornoway, with no explanation. I am hoping any compensation will pay for a case of beer šŸ˜†šŸ˜†

• Funny
Reactions: CWH
Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
On Lewis to the west near Callanis stones, thereā€™s a place called Black house village. Allot of ppl miss this beautiful place on the west coast. The stone cliff on the north, near Butt of Lewis is nice to, with the Atlantic smashing into it. Plenty of places to wild camp, and replenish on Harris at the campsite Talla Na Marra, for loo empty, water etc. You need to turn up within working hrs if not booked in advance.

OP
OP
Otter Spotter
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Arrived at Ullapool after visiting Skye Skyns. only wanted one Sheepskin seat cover but Dee decided she wanted one two plus a pair of Gloves, so that was not cheap šŸ˜–šŸ˜–šŸ˜–šŸ˜–
Parked up in car par next to Tescos Ā£3.00 for 12 hours Ā£5.00 for 24.in MH bays. though I can see plenty of MHs parked up on the streets.

OP
OP
Otter Spotter
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
On Lewis to the west near Callanis stones, thereā€™s a place called Black house village. Allot of ppl miss this beautiful place on the west coast. The stone cliff on the north, near Butt of Lewis is nice too, with the Atlantic smashing into it. Plenty of places to wild camp, and replenish on Harris at the campsite Talla Na Marra, for loo empty, water etc. You need to turn up within working hrs if not booked in advance.
Going to Callanish weekend after next, we have been to the Black house village in 2021. They were just sorting some of the cottages for Self catering.

OP
OP
Otter Spotter
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
As said before currently parked up car parked next to Tescos, however I had forgotten that this car park used by HGVs to drop off loads including refrigeration trailers , so is noisy at present, just hoping that they calm down soon.
This is first night for many that we havenā€™t used EHU so Wallas is providing heat and I had forgotten how warm it gets 22degrees in 30mins, then maintained at this temperature on lowest setting, doesnā€™t take much to impress me now šŸ‘

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
Taking advice from a pal on Skye who let me know not everyone in this part of the world is a fan of our big white boxes, I took a motorbike up. We left the van on Skye and used the bike to explore the western isles. What a great holiday, somehow we always managed to get a room every night, we could explore roads you wouldnā€™t take a van down and best of all the ferries waved us to the front of the queue as they can usually squeeze a bike on.
Oh and the ride back from Ullapool to Skye was spectacular, we even got stopped by the police in the middle of the road to allow a helicopter to land in front of us. Two oncoming vehicles had spent a little too long taking in the view and hit each the in the middle of the road, I believe it wasnā€™t too serious.

OP
OP
Otter Spotter
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Taking advice from a pal on Skye who let me know not everyone in this part of the world is a fan of our big white boxes, I took a motorbike up. We left the van on Skye and used the bike to explore the western isles. What a great holiday, somehow we always managed to get a room every night, we could explore roads you wouldnā€™t take a van down and best of all the ferries waved us to the front of the queue as they can usually squeeze a bike on.
Oh and the ride back from Ullapool to Skye was spectacular, we even got stopped by the police in the middle of the road to allow a helicopter to land in front of us. Two oncoming vehicles had spent a little too long taking in the view and hit each the in the middle of the road, I believe it wasnā€™t too serious.
I dont think there is a problem at this time with Motorhomes and the locals. What has surprised me is the majority of vans I have seen are hire vans from VWs to a massive Swift at least 7.5m long. I just hope they have been educated, though at least one of them let their dogs(3)out of the van lose as soon as they pitched up at Broadford and of course they pissed on as many EHU posts as they could find šŸ˜–šŸ˜–šŸ˜–

OP
OP
Otter Spotter
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Full ferry for Stornoway, glorious sunshine 7degrees hoping itā€™s a calm crossing. Around 25 MHs on this trip.
CWH, the Uig issue is that they havenā€™t completed the ā€™bridgeā€™ completely so only small vehicles can use it, all MHs HGVs etc diverted. Itā€™s the Highlands councils fault not CalMac, so we are told.
Apparently Ms Sturgeon was ready to sign off the UIG pier for another 3 months but sacked herself instead. That may have been a step too far for the islanders.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Full ferry for Stornoway, glorious sunshine 7degrees hoping itā€™s a calm crossing. Around 25 MHs on this trip.
CWH, the Uig issue is that they havenā€™t completed the ā€™bridgeā€™ completely so only small vehicles can use it, all MHs HGVs etc diverted. Itā€™s the Highlands councils fault not CalMac, so we are told.
Apparently Ms Sturgeon was ready to sign off the UIG pier for another 3 months but sacked herself instead. That may have been a step too far for the islanders.
This is what I heard - though I thought it was only vehicles of 10m that were affected ā€¦

OP
OP
Otter Spotter
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
This is what I heard - though I thought it was only vehicles of 10m that were affected ā€¦
I had heard that too but we are 6m and all VWs were diverted so not sure what their reasoning isšŸ„“

OP
OP
Otter Spotter
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Yesterday ferry trip was relatively calm but not for me even with sea sickness pills, after 1 hour I was as sick as a dog for the rest of the trip. Took a while to come around but found our camp site
I would call it rusticle, a cross between rustic and mystical, next to a little bay with seals birds and possible OTTER šŸ‘šŸ‘šŸ‘
Showers and toilet in a black house and there is an another kitted out with kitchen shower and leather chesterfields šŸ‘šŸ»šŸ‘šŸ» during the summer Ceilidhs are held for MacMillan Nurses charity. The owner Greg has a big Irish heart.D07AFBFE-693F-4716-B363-0A804BB2E7C3.jpeg1580A894-A4BF-40E5-991C-D2D91FE9D6F5.jpeg

NRM

Oct 16, 2018
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8096DF
Exp
Arrived at Ullapool after visiting Skye Skyns. only wanted one Sheepskin seat cover but Dee decided she wanted one two plus a pair of Gloves, so that was not cheap šŸ˜–šŸ˜–šŸ˜–šŸ˜–
Parked up in car par next to Tescos Ā£3.00 for 12 hours Ā£5.00 for 24.in MH bays. though I can see plenty of MHs parked up on the streets.
Rude question, how much did the sheepskin seat covers cost you? Thanks

OP
OP
Otter Spotter
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Fuel at Stornoway, Petrol Ā£1.51 diesel Ā£1.53 cheapest I have seen in 3 years šŸ‘šŸ‘.
Weather today bright but cool and we have just had a White tailed Sea Eagle take a fish from the bay below us. I wasnā€™t quick enough swapping lenses to get a shot šŸ˜–

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I'm sitting overlooking Uig Harbour, a ferry has just set sail!!!

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
... mind, a fire engine with blue lights has just gone down the pier, another one waiting, loads of coastguard and police vehicles, & SAR people hurrying about...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back