Starlink ordered… I feel it’s the only sensible option now.. (2 Viewers)

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Now that the Camino (Tiekom) service has had its day and the continued roaming data challenges, as well as crappy data service in the UK, I’ve had enough of pratting around as I just want always on, full service broadband wherever I am.

So, the solution (I hope) is a Starlink Roam order was placed today. £460 for the hardware, £95 per month for the service. I know some may consider this expensive but I will no longer need a data tariff SIM in the UK for the Netgear, nor will I need the Tiekom data SIM for between 5 and 8 months per year and I can knock back the Popit SIMs to 10Gig each, so the difference is not that great really.

I’ve worked out a spot on the roof where I will be fitting a small frame to mount the dish whilst parked up. It will be a couple of mins job to climb ladder and four wing nuts to secure, connect the cable and job is done!

The cable will be permanently installed through the roof into my existing media cupboard and at present I will power from my main inverter, but I may switch to a small 250w Victron pure sine wave inverter just for this in the future, so I don’t have to leave the main inverter on all the time.

Starlink quote around one KWh of power consumption per day. The peak power consumption is 75w and average consumption seems to be in the 35w range (230v power ratings). Many North American RV users are suggesting that the power consumption is way better than Starlink suggest and better than they expected.

A new feature from Starlink should help with power use as you can set ‘night periods’ where the system shuts down during set hours to reduce power consumption. I’ve ordered and will fit another 200w solar panel to augment the existing solar. I actually needed a larger Amperage Victron MPPT and some bigger cable to the batteries as well, so not the cheapest exercise… 🤦‍♂️

I’ve purchased a compact almost purpose designed electrical box to store the 75ft cable in on the roof when travelling. This will enable me to move the dish from the roof to the ground should I have obstacles obstructing the dish, but very easily without too much faff.

Will try and document a ‘how I did it’ incase it is of interest and or use to others and will of course let everyone know how good (I hope) this is…..

🤞 the expectation and promise from Starlink matches real world performance. Watch this space! 🤪

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
I know someone who has a 300w victron PSW inverter not being used ..... He is away though until late April ..

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
I know someone who has a 300w victron PSW inverter not being used ..... He is away though until late April ..

I’m away until later in April myself (Starlink quoting up to four weeks for delivery) so if this ‘someone’ could let me know if they would like to sell their inverter, I would love to hear from them. 🤣😇

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
I’m away until later in April myself (Starlink quoting up to four weeks for delivery) so if this ‘someone’ could let me know if they would like to sell their inverter, I would love to hear from them. 🤣😇
Perhaps on your return if you contact them ...it might be better to contact said person through this medium ...

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Now that the Camino (Tiekom) service has had its day and the continued roaming data challenges, as well as crappy data service in the UK, I’ve had enough of pratting around as I just want always on, full service broadband wherever I am.

So, the solution (I hope) is a Starlink Roam order was placed today. £460 for the hardware, £95 per month for the service. I know some may consider this expensive but I will no longer need a data tariff SIM in the UK for the Netgear, nor will I need the Tiekom data SIM for between 5 and 8 months per year and I can knock back the Popit SIMs to 10Gig each, so the difference is not that great really.

I’ve worked out a spot on the roof where I will be fitting a small frame to mount the dish whilst parked up. It will be a couple of mins job to climb ladder and four wing nuts to secure, connect the cable and job is done!

The cable will be permanently installed through the roof into my existing media cupboard and at present I will power from my main inverter, but I may switch to a small 250w Victron pure sine wave inverter just for this in the future, so I don’t have to leave the main inverter on all the time.

Starlink quote around one KWh of power consumption per day. The peak power consumption is 75w and average consumption seems to be in the 35w range (230v power ratings). Many North American RV users are suggesting that the power consumption is way better than Starlink suggest and better than they expected.

A new feature from Starlink should help with power use as you can set ‘night periods’ where the system shuts down during set hours to reduce power consumption. I’ve ordered and will fit another 200w solar panel to augment the existing solar. I actually needed a larger Amperage Victron MPPT and some bigger cable to the batteries as well, so not the cheapest exercise… 🤦‍♂️

I’ve purchased a compact almost purpose designed electrical box to store the 75ft cable in on the roof when travelling. This will enable me to move the dish from the roof to the ground should I have obstacles obstructing the dish, but very easily without too much faff.

Will try and document a ‘how I did it’ incase it is of interest and or use to others and will of course let everyone know how good (I hope) this is…..

🤞 the expectation and promise from Starlink matches real world performance. Watch this space! 🤪
So should I keep my aerial and satellite dish then instead of relying on streaming 🤣 oh technology 🤯

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Please post updates, I am thinking about doing this too. Ideally I would go with their RV option which is a permanent roof mounting but can’t find pricing for this

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Please post updates, I am thinking about doing this too. Ideally I would go with their RV option which is a permanent roof mounting but can’t find pricing for this

There is no pricing in Europe for this. If you search with a North American address, you will see the prices in USD for the flat mount high performance dish.

After consideration, it uses almost double the power of the standard dish. Hence why I’ve decided to go for the standard dish with minimal setup to start with.

My mid term plan is to flat mount the standard dish… phase two and very much after I’ve proven it works as I am hoping!

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Have they dropped the hardware price to £300 + £95
I freind in Torquay placed an order for this? using Starlink Roam (previoulsy Starlink RV when I ordered)
or is it down to a cheaper dish?

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010

This might be an interesting watch for you Harvey.

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
Deal with Vodafone has not been progressed. I understand you can still use in Spain, but no roaming, just fair usage roaming, so I would guess 15gb or so.
What a shame, that will be a lot less business for Tiekom👍

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
I was wondering with the hefty monthly price tag for starlink, there must be UK comms companies out there who could work out a sim deal for less than that.

Surely if you went to them and said I'm willing to part with say £80 a month data only but I'm buggering off to Europe for a few months so not wanting any of your roaming or fair usage malarkey they would find something suitable?

I'll be following your Starlink thread regardless as it is very interesting.

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
I was wondering with the hefty monthly price tag for starlink, there must be UK comms companies out there who could work out a sim deal for less than that.

Surely if you went to them and said I'm willing to part with say £80 a month data only but I'm buggering off to Europe for a few months so not wanting any of your roaming or fair usage malarkey they would find something suitable?

I'll be following your Starlink thread regardless as it is very interesting.

You would think so wouldn’t you…🤷‍♂️

You can buy data only (like real data only SIMs) in the UK, but they all seem to have the same crap roaming restrictions 🤦‍♂️

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Deal with Vodafone has not been progressed. I understand you can still use in Spain, but no roaming, just fair usage roaming, so I would guess 15gb or so.
We got a 100gb Vodaphone with 25gb roaming then £2 a day after 🙁

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Check vodas add-ons...ee have similar to above but if you then add on 10.00 per.month roaming extra addon..you get roaming EU and use all the data like you would at home. Also works is USA
Yes both e and Vodafone seem to offer this option if I have understood it right👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back