St Annes Aire (sluice facility being abused) (1 Viewer)

Dogeared

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 16, 2013
Blackburn
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 155
Exp
Since 2011
Last night we were on the Aire along with eight other vans, so we are obviously using the facility. Why are some motorhomers ruining this opportunity to show how we can be of benefit to towns. The other day some tight fisted !!!!! Instead of spending a pound and using the sluice decided to use the general toilets costing 20p, and ended up spreading the waste all over the place. This Is happening about once a month and whilst the staff recognise most of us appreciate the facility, must be fed up with cleaning our mess, sorry but we all get tarred with the same brush.

Please don't let progressive councils like Fylde change their minds about this Aire.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Last night we were on the Aire along with eight other vans, so we are obviously using the facility. Why are some motorhomers ruining this opportunity to show how we can be of benefit to towns. The other day some tight fisted !!!!! Instead of spending a pound and using the sluice decided to use the general toilets costing 20p, and ended up spreading the waste all over the place. This Is happening about once a month and whilst the staff recognise most of us appreciate the facility, must be fed up with cleaning our mess, sorry but we all get tarred with the same brush.

Please don't let progressive councils like Fylde change their minds about this Aire.
Why do you have to pay to empty , I thought there was an upfront charge to stay there.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I thought the rule was leave facilities AT LEAST as clean as when you arrived.

Sorry but this type of action by thoughtless idiots makes me so cross, the whole facility will be closed if this behaviour continues and other councils will be even more reluctant to provide similar - or worse, ban motorhomes completely.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Does it matter?

If that's the way it is then pay or don't use the facilities!
I wasn't suggesting this as an excuse but I don't think I ave ever been anywhere where you have to pay to empty, fill water or leccy , yeah but emptying no.

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
This Aire is a pilot scheme to see how it goes.
It is £5 to stop overnight. Or you can have 20 mins free parking any time of day to empty your cassette for a charge of a £1.
So motorhomers are emptying there cassettes in the toilets to save 80p!!!!!
It dosent surprise me one bit.:mad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
I wasn't suggesting this as an excuse but I don't think I ave ever been anywhere where you have to pay to empty, fill water or leccy , yeah but emptying no.

I have only started using aires over the last couple of years and mainly in France and Spain and in the last 6 months I have come across 2 out of 4 stops that had facilities that required payment or a token to access the bourne for water or black waste disposal, grey water was free to dispose of though.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I have only started using aires over the last couple of years and mainly in France and Spain and in the last 6 months I have come across 2 out of 4 stops that had facilities that required payment or a token to access the bourne for water or black waste disposal, grey water was free to dispose of though.
Not arguing, but think you will find you only need to pay for the water side, whether for fill up or flushing , but the black lid will still lift up.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Found the odd Aire in France and loads of Stelaplatz in Germany where you have to pay to empty even grey water.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Moulins aire requires payment to empty black waste though grey is free. The aire itself is very inexpensive at 10c an hour, though free the last time we were there due to barrier out of order.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
The camper stop at Calnegre (by the beach) charges to empty waste. If you pay to stop it is included but you have to pay for water even if you pay to stay.

Last time we were there he was refusing to allow waste dumping and water collection unless you paid to stay the night although the sign was still displayed showing disposal only charge.

When he wasn't there he had vans on the fist line watching and taking the fee.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
The camper stop at Calnegre (by the beach) charges to empty waste. If you pay to stop it is included but you have to pay for water even if you pay to stay.
That's fair enough , but apparently you have to pay again at lythem to empty even though you paid to be there.
Please don't think I am knocking the aire , just making a point about the op.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Unless I may be way off, perhaps it was someone who hadn't paid to be there.:(

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

Plenty of stellplatzes in Germany.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Although I will happily pay if I need the service I do feel that if you are already paying to stay £1.00 is a little high and is obviously putting some people off using it.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Plenty of stellplatzes in Germany.
Maybe I ought to get out more, but I have honestly never seen one in years of touring France on Aires, is there a lock on or what, most of the ones I have seen are water things with a lid at the bottom now in theory you pay to get water to rise your cassette but the lid comes up without paying, others are little more than holes in the ground.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I have stayed on Aires in France where there were no facilities, but you still paid a parking charge, collected from those who parked in the designated overnight bays. The borne was at a different location and needed tokens which cost 2 euro.
You are paying to park at Lytham and pay to use the services at another location, so no difference. At least Lytham have provided some facilities.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
This Aire is a pilot scheme to see how it goes.
It is £5 to stop overnight. Or you can have 20 mins free parking any time of day to empty your cassette for a charge of a £1.
So motorhomers are emptying there cassettes in the toilets to save 80p!!!!!
It dosent surprise me one bit.:mad:

Well I think that is good value. Carparks in "prime" locations* are often more expensive than that just for parking so an extra £1 for waste is not a rip-off.

*It was £5 a day for parking when I was at work and hardly a prime location - just a bit of rough ground beside the ambulance station.

Deleted User
Maybe I ought to get out more, but I have honestly never seen one in years of touring France on Aires, is there a lock on or what, most of the ones I have seen are water things with a lid at the bottom now in theory you pay to get water to rise your cassette but the lid comes up without paying, others are little more than holes in the ground.

The last 2 that i have used in Spain had the lid locked internally somehow, definitely wouldn't move without paying.

The one in Ayamonte by the marina needed lots of information, possibly passport number, credit card to raise the barrier (€12+) and credit card again to obtain water and dump. Very expensive for an aire but a convenient location, unfortunately also for the local youths in the evening/night.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
It's not up for question, if it's a pound to empty waste, it's a pound. If it is 20p to use the toilet, and they have used their cassette toilet 5 times, then the price is the same. If it was a penny, some would scoff at that and chuck it in a hedge! Some people are filthy, and have to beat the system at whatever cost.
Like the intelligence deficient dog owners that can just manage to put the dog :swear2: into a bag, then hang it on a tree branch!!! The mind struggles to understand these people.

Craig

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We have not been to the St Anne's AIRE yet . However I thought the waste dump was not on the aire but just along the road . So can be used
by anyone . A great service to someone touring . I agree with all that's said £1 is a good deal and needs to be respected .
If this is the case then I take back what said, I havnt been so don't know but the op sounded as if it was part of the aire.:(

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Why are some motorhomers ruining this opportunity to show how we can be of benefit to towns.

Whilst I agree that people abusing any sort of publicly provided facilities is wrong, I don't understand why people think we should benefit these towns we stay in.
If a town provides car parks or public toilets and we use them, does it mean we have to spend money in the town to show our appreciation.
By all means spend your money where you stay if you are minded to, but it should never be a condition of visiting somewhere.

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
Very true we often empty in toilets and if it splashes you clean it up it's not hard.
Would you use the toilet, if the authorities have provided a perfectly functioning Elsan point, but it would cost you 80p more?
Im assuming you empty in the toilets because there arent any suitable facilities when you are free parking.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Whilst I agree that people abusing any sort of publicly provided facilities is wrong, I don't understand why people think we should benefit these towns we stay in.
If a town provides car parks or public toilets and we use them, does it mean we have to spend money in the town to show our appreciation.
By all means spend your money where you stay if you are minded to, but it should never be a condition of visiting somewhere.

If there isn't going to be a benefit to the local economy why the hell would any LA bother spending money on providing facilities for a pretty tiny minority of people?

That benefit could be in parking charges or it could be in generating revenue for local businesses but there has to be one demonstrated or there's not a chance in hell of more sites like this one being developed. That's exactly how it should be as well.

I just hope nobody from an LA planning department sees your post or you could set all the hard work that many people have put in lobbying the various LAs about the potential benefits back by years.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
They ought to put the emptying point in the aire and charge a pound more for the aire and 20p for the bog and the emptying point theres no point argueing with the people saving 80p using the bog for the cassette they won't listen

OP
OP
Dogeared

Dogeared

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 16, 2013
Blackburn
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 155
Exp
Since 2011
Putting in these points cost money. The council have logically used toilets just up the road, where you can easily pull in and park. Also means that the staff who clean the toilets can do the sluice at the same time. We argue the toss about 20p vs £1.00. How many of us would clean the toilets for the wages they are on.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back