Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
Has anyone had their 2.7 sprinter chipped?

If so, who did it and are you happy with the outcome?

Muchos Gracias,

Pete:Cool:

GRUMPY OLD GIT

Funster
Deceased RIP
May 8, 2011
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Started in1974 with a converted London ambulance
Sprinter Upgrade.

Hi there,had my 316 cdi (sprintshft) chipped at Malvern last year and promptly picked up a speeding ticket on the way home, The power difference was really noticable and she was a lot quicker(hence the ticket). Took me a while to get used to it and lighten up on the right foot but now she's quickly into 6th and stays there a lot longer. I was averaging around 26 mpg now it's closer to 28 mpg and that's not bad for a 3.5 ton low profile van even though I am a 55 to 60 mph poddler
Chipping was done by WOW tuning.
Regards
Bob.:thumb:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Pete the merc engine is one of the few that is ready to self destruct when chipped and hellish expencive to replace. It is already running on the edge of technology. Yes chipping will improve it but for how long. I'd love a few mor miles per gall. My 2.1 merc does 24mpg but at 4.2T I think thats quite reasonable and never suffered from a lack of power. I doubt anyone who has had it done would say its a bad thing unless they are one of those who had an engine blow up. Another consideration is the MOT, didn't I read a while back that chipping will be an automatic fail? Maybe I misread it. Geo the one to answer that I suppose.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Steveboy

Free Member
Oct 13, 2011
Wherever my wheels stop.
Funster No
MH
Rapido 972M
Exp
Fulltime since 2011
Merc 316cdi re map

Thanks Guys. been looking for someone with experience of a re mapped 316cdi for some time as I refuse to have it done to my Rapido with manual 5 speed box until I have solid feedback from others.

I would love a little more 'enlightenment' on 'merc engines already running on the edge of technology'. What does that mean?

Has anyone had a bad experience or an engine blow?
I was also considering the company 'Wow'. They seem to know what they are talking about and say that all re maps are well within engine tolerances.

at present still undecided. will for now carry on under the premise ... it aint broke so don't fix it.:Smile::Smile:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
A thread on here someplace of someone who blew a merc engine in I think Spain, quite new, not a lot of miles. Merc refused to do anything to help as it had been chipped. Lots of discussion there. Cost thousands (£7K?) to replace. The engines are developed to provide the max safe power chipping exceeds those parameters. I do however stand to be corrected.

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Had my Transit uprated by WOW at the recent Cheshire Show.

Very pleased with the result, and would not hesitate to recommend them. Speak to them and get their advice, even though it may not be as impartial as you would hope.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back