Spooky or not?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Dorwyn, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Dorwyn

Dorwyn Funster

Over that past 4 years travelling over the same stretch of road - the A303, perhaps 5 times the van's engine management light has come on, the revs have dropped and laboured on the accelerator. If I stop, turn off the engine and restart, the problem goes away. 2 or perhaps 3 times it has been on the eastern side of the stretch by Stonehenge, and twice in the last few days, once in each direction, it was a few miles further east. I've travelled thousands of miles at home and on the continent without this problem occurring.

A friend has just pointed out that this area is along the Salisbury Plain which has certain Army and other military communications installations, and who knows what else.

What do you think?

2. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

wierd, my wife used to work at Barsely and comute daily from doncaster (same road same route daily)

she experianced severail "lost codes " on the keyfob, and had problems with the ecu on her cmax deisel, we swapped cars and she used my xtrail and had ecu problems on that, whilst I had her car it had no problems and i never experainced them on the xtrail. we finally fixed the problem she got a job in our home town..solved

3. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

Sounds like the pendragon effect !!!!:xsurprised:

4. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

I used to have all my BMW brakes warning lights come on, every time I left my sons house (within 20 yards) - never anywhere else. I had to turn the car of to reset them. That was always spooky. Never found the answer and it eventually stopped doing it.

5. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

It must just be coincidence, otherwise the roadside would be littered with other vehicles having the same problem.

6. Dorwyn

Dorwyn Funster

Of course,but it could be that my van is sensitive or tuned to whatever. It's a fairly big coincidence.

7. BobtheBass

BobtheBass Funster

I took our boat alongside a submarine moored in the Dart once, only to find that once we got close all the electronics switched off and the (petrol) engine stopped. As we drifted past the electrics came back on and I was able to restart the engine. Some kind of Navy blocking device? I thought they were just sci-fi inventions till then.

8. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

Trust someone to spoil a good story with a plausible answer. :xlaugh:

• Like Like x 5
  9. Speve

Speve Funster

@Dorwyn we live not 6miles north of Amesbury never had any electronic problems on the van.Sounds a bit like UFO's or the lay lines to me:xdoh:
    :xrofl:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  10. sweetie

sweetie Funster

Just had to travel on A12 into Gorleston from Great Yarmouth for 7days every
    Time I passed a pole with several antenna on I Had warning light come on with message, front radar obstructed. This happened going in both directions so could only put it down to the radio signals.

11. Dorwyn

Dorwyn Funster

I shall be going along the same stretch of road a few times in the next few weeks, we'll see. I normally take a different route, but Salisbury town is a nightmare at sales time, and at most other times. Of course there a plenty of other explanations, but I have had the van checked out with the electronic fault finder at my garage. I am not convinced that it is the cause, but it for me remains a possibility.

12. Speve

Speve Funster

@Dorwyn just a thought they do fly the predator drones around the area of Beacon hill and bulford ranges could be something in that I suppose but not been flying for a few weeks now and probably not till after the holidays:xThumb:

• Like Like x 1
  13. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

Plus they also have a jamming system to prevent drones being flown in certain areas ::sneaky:

• Like Like x 2
  14. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

Every time I turned off the A52 on a certain junction my old Jag would cut out and grind to a halt..... spooky............ until I realised I had too many keys on the key ring and the sheer weight of the keys turned the ignition off as I went round the bend............:doh:

• Like Like x 7
  15. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Cannot say too much for obvious reasons but certain places in the UK ( which may or may not have been mentioned ) are home to an over the horizon radar system that puts out immense power on some very odd frequencies
    Years ago they signals could often be heard on broadcast radio and was referred to as a woodpecker.. The frequency was changed ( by a lot ) but the effects are still encountered all over the place
    It only takes a poor earth, a bit of unshielded wire, a cable that is not routed where it should be or any one of several other possibles to cause problems and have effects on things like ECU's etc

• Like Like x 1
  16. Mikey RV

Mikey RV Funster

My car runs fine all the time, when the wife borrows it the fuel gauge allways reads empty when she brings it back.

• Like Like x 5
  17. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

spooky

• Like Like x 1
  18. Debs

Debs Funster

This isn't where @DavidG58 's van is from is it and it's got 'stuck' somehow.....

David, perhaps you could take your van a blast along the A303....,.you might cure it, never know, starnger things and all that;)

• Like Like x 2
  19. Autowbars

Autowbars Funster

A few years ago at a petrol station on the A64 near Scarborough it was a well publicised thing that Range Rover P38s would not restart after filling up.
    RAC, AA etc used to tow them 1/2 mile up road and all was fine.

The radar station on the hill above was interfering with the electronics.
    The filling station even had a sign in the window about the situation.

20. Dorwyn

Dorwyn Funster

It was just last sunday, so that is ruled out, but I believe there are a lot of military facilities, not all of them visible. I am only suggesting it is a possibility, I have heard of the starting issue on other vehicles too. But who knows, with all these airborne signals floating around. I have had lots of electrical work done on the van, a new rheostat on the accelerator solanoid, new plugs, rewiring due to a mouse infection, so it could be something to do with that, but the garage is at a loss. How can you find something that only occurs very occasionally (and apparently so far only on one stretch of road).

I'd like to get it fixed, we're due to go to Spain in a few weeks, I don't fancy breaking down in the middle of Spain!