Speed limits for Motorhomes over 3500Kg in Spain (1 Viewer)

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
We're off on a trip to Spain soon and I've just been searching for information on speed limits for motor homes plated at over 3500Kg. I think I have worked out that unless otherwise signed, the speed limit on motorways is 90kph, dual carriageways is 80kph but I've found conflicting guidance for single carriageway roads. Is it 70 or 80 kph?
  1. On here it's 70
  2. Caravan Club says it's 80
Please can anyone confirm the limits?
Thanks,
Bill

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Clear as mud, from the Spanish plod -

Broken Link Removed

Same as trucks for MH over 3500 - 90k on motorways, 80 on other main roads.
50k on other urban roads.

Last edited:

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
If your motorhome is OVER 3,500kgs MMA, (or under 3,500kgs but towing a trailer) then you're the same group as any other Heavy Goods Vehicle in Spain:-
Motorways - 90kmph
Conventional roads - 80kmph.
Towns - 50kmph.

People should be aware that even if it is an UNDER 3,500kgs motorhome, and isn't pulling a trailer, your speed limits are still NOT THE SAME as for cars in Spain...as you're treated as a special vehicle classification over here, called "M1"
The limits for you are:-
Motorways - 100kmph (note: NOT the 120kmph that cars are allowed)
Dual Carriageways - 90kmph (note: NOT the usually 110kmph that cars are allowed)
Single carriageways (outside of urban areas) - 80kmph ( note: NOT the usually 90kmph that cars are allowed).
In towns - 50kmph.

Obviously if actual signs on a stretch of road indicate a lower limit than these general limits, it is the lower limit that applies.

UK Motorhome clubs still keep quoting WRONG speed limits for Spain....the correct ones are listed above.

(I was the one who did that translation into English a few years ago of the original 2008 08/V74 Direccion General de Trafico "Laws applicable to Motorhomes in Spain" document linked to above; and which the group of Guardia Civil Trafico officers in the Costa Blanca south have more recently posted on their "N332" Facebook page)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Organplayer

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Sept. 1995
Again,The Nomad, many thanks for your very clearly laid out information.
Keep enjoying your 'wanderings'.
Best wishes. Ed

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
We have a 5t tag axle and it loves doing a steady 70 mph on cruise control on the autovistas !!

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
We have a 5t tag axle and it loves doing a steady 70 mph on cruise control on the autovistas !!

Maybe enjoy on a autopista or autovia, but I don't think you'd be driving anything on an "autovista"! (wink)

You're gonna get nicked sooner or later if you're doing 112 kmph on a motorway here in Spain when your over-3.5-tonne-motorhome motorway speed limit is 90kmph.
Just be aware that the fine for doing 22 kmph over your maximum limit will hurt. Quite a lot.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Autopista...Spanish Motorway..

Autovia....Spanish Dual Carriageway

Autovista Spanish cop's reaction to any Motorhome doing more than 100kph.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Clear as mud, from the Spanish plod -

Broken Link Removed

Same as trucks for MH over 3500 - 90k on motorways, 80 on other main roads.
50k on other urban roads.
Interesting read, the way I read it a spare wheel is a mandatory requirement as well as a habitation service biannual for 4 to 10 years old and annually after 10 years old.

Martin

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
(I was the one who did that translation into English a few years ago of the original 2008 08/V74 Direccion General de Trafico "Laws applicable to Motorhomes in Spain" document linked to above; and which the group of Guardia Civil Trafico officers in the Costa Blanca south have more recently posted on their "N332" Facebook page)[/QUOTE]

Could you tell when they posted the above info. I have it in paper format but I| would like to see it on F/B

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Thought Pista was a toll motorway and Via no toll?

No. Technically an autovia is "dual carriageway", but in practice both usually mean what Brits would understand as "motorway".

The slight confusion might be because a motorway section WITHOUT tolls is signified on signs as an "A" (for Autopista/Autovia); whereas a motorway WITH tolls is signified on signs as "AP"......Autopista Peaje/Autovia Peaje.

The addition of the "P" means it's a toll motorway, (the "P" stands for "Peaje"...which means "toll" in Engish)

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Interesting read, the way I read it a spare wheel is a mandatory requirement as well as a habitation service biannual for 4 to 10 years old and annually after 10 years old.

Martin

There's no habitation service requirement under Spanish law.

I think what you are referring to are the legal requirements for Spanish registered "M1" class vehicles, ie Motorhomes of up to 3.5 tonnes), to have their ITV tests:- every two years from 4 years of age till 10 years of age, and annually thereafter.

ITV is "Inspeccion Technical de Vehiculos"....... the Spanish vehicle equivalent of the UK's MOT test.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
There's no habitation service requirement under Spanish law.

I think what you are referring to are the legal requirements for Spanish registered "M1" class vehicles, ie Motorhomes of up to 3.5 tonnes), to have their ITV tests:- every two years from 4 years of age till 10 years of age, and annually thereafter.

ITV is "Inspeccion Technical de Vehiculos"....... the Spanish vehicle equivalent of the UK's MOT test.
OK thank for the explanation, it was the every two years that confused me, thought "that can't be MOT)

Martin

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

Martin
No, as @The Nomad explained. Mot test.

& having re-read Traficos link I find that mine, registered many years ago when "luxury taxes" were in force & buying a motorhome would have meant paying it, isn't registered as any of the possible combinations shown but as 1048, Turismo with living accommodation.
A 'C' class. :xlaugh: So the speed limits for me are same as a car,:xThumb: Just wish I could do them :cry:.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back