LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Our van is rated at 3650 kg so the lower speed limits apply. In England and Wales I believe these are 50, 60, 60 but in Scotland and NI the 40,50,60 still applies. Please correct me if I am wrong :)

Does anyone have stickers on the back of their van similar to those seen on HGVs? and what do you do about the different limits?

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
If you're registered as a motor caravan then in the UK the speed limit is dependant on your unladen weight and not your rated weight (unless you use it to carry goods, as a workshop, or storage in which case even if registered as a motor caravan the goods vehicles limits will apply).

https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits

so you'll either be 60, 70, 70 or 50, 60, 70 if you're registered as a motor caravan and only use as such.

Last edited:

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
The definitive answer here - motorhomes are now specified!!! :) and it's now to do with UNladen weight

https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits

Ooh - snap! :LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
It says in the information that came with the van that it should not be driven at speeds more than 60mph.

We also carry things for my business when we are away so I can post to customers. By the strict letter of the law I am guessing that is goods for sale - even though they take less room than a small child's shoe box and weigh about the same. The insurance company do know.

Mass in Service on the V5 is 2939

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
It says in the information that came with the van that it should not be driven at speeds more than 60mph.
Isn't that very unusual?
We also carry things for my business when we are away so I can post to customers. By the strict letter of the law I am guessing that is goods for sale - even though they take less room than a small child's shoe box and weigh about the same.
I guess technically you're right, & if you've informed your insurance then I suppose you've conceded the point so should apply ALL rules as a goods vehicle. [Unless you give the stuff to somebody else to post???]
Does anyone have stickers on the back of their van similar to those seen on HGVs?
No, but often thought it might be helpful when I don't want to irritate other drivers.
what do you do about the different limits?
Stick to 'em? - I'm guessing this isn't what you meant though.....

Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
Our van is rated at 3650 kg so the lower speed limits apply. In England and Wales I believe these are 50, 60, 60 but in Scotland and NI the 40,50,60 still applies. Please correct me if I am wrong :)

Does anyone have stickers on the back of their van similar to those seen on HGVs? and what do you do about the different limits?
I have one on the back of mine, say's this vehicle is limited to 150mph :)

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Isn't that very unusual?

I guess technically you're right, & if you've informed your insurance then I suppose you've conceded the point so should apply ALL rules as a goods vehicle. [Unless you give the stuff to somebody else to post???]

No, but often thought it might be helpful when I don't want to irritate other drivers.

If by the fact the fact that you are going to irritate other road users by sticking to the speed limit of your vehicle, a little (or even a flashing sign) will not make them less irritable

Apr 25, 2016
Soham, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo
Exp
Since 2016

You say 50, 60, 60. But assuming your unladen weight is in excess of 3.05t, then I think it's 50, 60 and 70 on motorways, ie, you can still do 70 on Motorways.

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
You say 50, 60, 60. But assuming your unladen weight is in excess of 3.05t, then I think it's 50, 60 and 70 on motorways, ie, you can still do 70 on Motorways.

50, 60, 70 in England but different in Scotland and NI.

I do wonder why the book says a maximum of 60 mph, and how many people would actually read the book! It is a Fiat.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Burstner A Class
Exp
Jan.2014

Nigel,

The OP has already said that his Unladen Mass is 2939Kgs.
Therefore, he has the same limits as a car doesn't he.?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
but remember thats only the max speed . its not compulsary to do it .
you can drive slower and enjoy the scenery.
its not how long does it take to get there .
its how long can we take to get there.
might never get there . hee hee

Nov 9, 2015
Shenfield, Essex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
35+ years mainly in VW's
Isn't that very unusual?

My understanding is that the vehicle in a motor home and the relevant speed limits apply. It is quite normal to add to the insurance "use in connection with your business" ( with some exceptions like commercial travelling etc). This is something I have done in the past when carrying tools and or equipment I used for my job

Cheers

Trevor

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
What confuses me here is that I've never heard of any difference in speed limits for Scotland or Norther Ireland? There is a difference in drink driving limits, but as far as I know speed limits are "National".

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
What confuses me here is that I've never heard of any difference in speed limits for Scotland or Norther Ireland? There is a difference in drink driving limits, but as far as I know speed limits are "National".

I think it's only applicable for goods vehicles over 7.5 tonnes looking at the https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits guidance which gives different limits for England and Wales and then Scotland. NI isn't mentioned so not sure what the deal is there. It would seem that when England and Wales increased the speed limit for HGVs Scotland didn't. Good job I only drive up to 7.5 tonnes - I thought it had changed everywhere.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I think it's only applicable for goods vehicles over 7.5 tonnes looking at the https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits guidance which gives different limits for England and Wales and then Scotland. NI isn't mentioned so not sure what the deal is there. It would seem that when England and Wales increased the speed limit for HGVs Scotland didn't. Good job I only drive up to 7.5 tonnes - I thought it had changed everywhere.

Ah many thanks for that. It would never affect me which might explain my ignorance, even in my working days in ambulance service, ambulances were governed by a completely different set of rules.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

We also carry things for my business when we are away so I can post to customers. By the strict letter of the law I am guessing that is goods for sale - even though they take less room than a small child's shoe box and weigh about the same. The insurance company do know.

Mass in Service on the V5 is 2939
I hope you realise by carrying goods you are classed as a goods vehicle and require plating at the end of the first year and subsequnet years a class 4 MOT is only for private vehicles, it will also have implications on your insurance.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
many motor homes with a garage area are really wrong mot etc .
vosa know about it but they have said till they get lots of body bags it just gets ignored .
but could change at any time . m,bikes push bikes ,blow up boats . things like that etc all change the use really . then there is the need for tacho,s and speed limiters etc . could get exciting soon.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
but remember thats only the max speed . its not compulsary to do it .

Just back from Germany on the bike, which means I actually got to see how fast the MHs were there - 80 mph normal, some above this. I was amazed.

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I hope you realise by carrying goods you are classed as a goods vehicle and require plating at the end of the first year and subsequnet years a class 4 MOT is only for private vehicles, it will also have implications on your insurance.

Think I already said the insurance company are aware and it already has been plated.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
My ML is empty weight( nothing at all in it no fuel no water etc) is2970kgs therefore it is under the 3050 or 3 old tons and the car limit should apply, BUT it is maxed at 3860kgs so therefore a lorry? so what limit do I actually worry about 50mph on ordinary roads or 60 as the cars do. I go for the 60 although I do not actually drive that fast on A roads that are single carriageway, normally. I can see an argument should I ever be stopped by the Police for doing 60. Most of them do not know about the 3050kg bit.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
My ML is empty weight( nothing at all in it no fuel no water etc) is2970kgs therefore it is under the 3050 or 3 old tons and the car limit should apply, BUT it is maxed at 3860kgs so therefore a lorry? so what limit do I actually worry about 50mph on ordinary roads or 60 as the cars do. I go for the 60 although I do not actually drive that fast on A roads that are single carriageway, normally. I can see an argument should I ever be stopped by the Police for doing 60. Most of them do not know about the 3050kg bit.
Of course most regular officers may not be aware of this but they would easily be able to confirm it either online or via a traffic colleague.
If we're going somewhere we tend to head for the motorways / autoroute and drive as fast as possible to get there (obviously whilst staying legal)

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
its not how long does it take to get there .
its how long can we take to get there.
might never get there . hee hee

Love that bit, and has just given me a different outlook.
Thank you

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
no best use no toll roads , no motor ways , no dual carriageways . use small roads and visit lots of villages . enjoy the ride . you might change your mind where your going along the way.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
The drawback to using "B" and "C" roads, is increased fuel consumption, because you are lifting off braking and accelerating more you will inevitably see reduced MPG. Making use of the cruise control where fitted actually improves MPG.

Witnessed this proved once when a Volvo Demonstrator gave us all a chance to drive his truck with a calibrated MPG device fitted. Using the Cruise gave a 1MPG difference on the same road/speed. 1 MPG is not a lot?, it is when the thing only does 10MPG at best!.

Pete

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
dont press the brake learn to drive smoothly .
light throttle and smile .
even many of the cheaper fuel stations are smaller roads .
plus its much nicer seeing the locals ,wave smile look happy they smile and wave back.
seems to me most on the fast roads are angry ,miserable and never smile .

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Speed Limit Speed Limit :eek::eek:
What the hells that all about, my speed limit is as fast as the vehicle in front until he pulls over.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The drawback to using "B" and "C" roads, is increased fuel consumption, because you are lifting off braking and accelerating more you will inevitably see reduced MPG. Making use of the cruise control where fitted actually improves MPG.

Witnessed this proved once when a Volvo Demonstrator gave us all a chance to drive his truck with a calibrated MPG device fitted. Using the Cruise gave a 1MPG difference on the same road/speed. 1 MPG is not a lot?, it is when the thing only does 10MPG at best!.

Pete

Doesn't always follow with a MH that is as aerodynamic as a brick. Mine is brilliant with the cruise control at 55mph (90kph) on dual/motorway, but at 70 on the same road is very thirsty. The N and D roads might use a bit more fuel but the fuel costs can be 20-25% cheaper than the motorways so probably still quids in. In the UK it seems rare that cruise control can be used for any decent time.

Cilfan

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
Flint North Wales
Funster No
MH
Desperately Seeking
Exp
Devout Wannabe
The N and D roads might use a bit more fuel but the fuel costs can be 20-25% cheaper than the motorways so probably still quids in. In the UK it seems rare that cruise control can be used for any decent time.
Couldn't agree more. We've yet to get our MH but I've done a lot of touring by car in Europe and have always maintained that the journey is part of the holiday. Motorways (with the exception of those in the UK) are great for burning up the miles if you need to but you miss so much of the country you're charging through in the process. And yes, cruise control is (largely) useless here - far too many bloody motors on this little island of ours.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back