Spare wheel help

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Microchip, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Microchip

Microchip Funster

I don't fancy having a puncture on the van and repairing it with that goo that's supplied, so I bought a new spare wheel but don't want to carry it in the garage.

I prefer to fit the spare under neath on the chassis but not behind the back axel because the grey waste is fitted there :Doh:
    Just wondering has anybody had an aftermarket carrier fitted forward of the back axel and where did you get it from.. :RollEyes:

Thanks in advance, :thumb:

Keith

2. phil1946

phil1946 Funster

I wanted ours out of site and everybody told me it could not be done:Smile:

I ended up using a pair of those threaded hooks that folk use to keep ladders attached to roof rails (bought from Screwfix). I found a place where I could hook these to the chassis and then passed the threads through the wheel and just screwed the wheel up out of the way tight to the bottom of the vehicle.

I also fitted a safety / anti theft chain and padlock.

Only problem is that, while the wheel can be easily dropped in the event of a puncture, it was difficult to get the threads through the wheel at home (with trolley jack and packing bits) so I would have to find somewhere else to put the flat.

• Like Like x 1
  3. mentaliss

mentaliss

Bought mine eighteen months ago from Ebay source (latest type) earlier version's for Ducato failed..you can look at Techno's thread where he fitted his to his Rapido (ALko Chassis) if your chassis ( I presume Fiat) is low line or heavy duty the device should bolt up to the central cross member of the chassis, beware though most of these units fit after the back axle for correct weight distribution:Cool:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Geordies

Geordies Funster

I may be wrong here, but if fitting a device to carry a spare wheel and it had to go under the MH, would the best place for weight distribution not be between the axles somewhere ?

5. SuperMike

SuperMike Read Only Funster

Fitted up underneath, can you get it out with a flat tyre. Please don't tell me you would first jack up , then roll under to get it out. :Doh:

6. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  7. Steve304

Steve304 Read Only Funster

8. phil1946

phil1946 Funster

"Fitted up underneath, can you get it out with a flat tyre. Please don't tell me you would first jack up , then roll under to get it out." :Doh:

Thought of that, RV has twin rears so unlikely to be lower at back and a flat front would give me more room not less.

Spare is close enough to side of vehicle that I would not have to get under AND I have hydraulic leveling jacks and wood packing if needed.

Thanks for your thoughts, and good warning to others, o super one.

Hope to meet you and the management again one day.

9. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Manufacturers would not be interested due to payload constraints which is why they stopped providing spares more than the cost saving

• Like Like x 1
  10. Castaway

Castaway Funster

I did the opposite thing and moved my spare wheel from under the chassis at the rear into the garage. I now have a permanently clean spare and no worries about access in the event of a rear puncture! :Smile:

11. mentaliss

mentaliss

Yes absolutely, and on my Dethleffs low Fiat chassis there are two central chassis cross member's that are not obstructed, either member would allow the lift device to be fitted the only problem is the pre-drilled holes do not have any captured nut's in them so it requires me to fit rivet nuts or weld in nuts first so for this trip the wheel stays where I put it:Laughing:
    PS, on a vehicle that's over 7.2 mtrs long + a bike rack with the garage overhang off the rear axle and any one singularly weight such as a heavy wheel within a loaded garage could mean spring rebound.....so June-July the air spring assisters should keep that under control:Smile:

Ebay : FIAT DUCATO WHEEL CARRIER current bid £40.00

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014