Spare specs

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by Bailey58, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

Reading the threads on the gear we need to carry abroad made we wonder how many full time spec wearers have a dedicated spare pair. I have a dark tinted pair as my bonus buy and now have a pair for pc work and reading as my varifocals don't always suit. Tried using a previous prescription occasionally and I suppose I'd get used to them if I had to but I wonder if these things are ever checked when abroad?

2. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

My sunglasses are same scrip ,and I also take previous pair with me-never been checked,doubt if you ever would be unless you had an accident .Mike

3. JJ

JJ Funster

Same as Mike... never been checked by police but have always had spare pairs... without my specs I would be really stuck...

JJ :Cool:

4. Landy lover

Landy lover Funster

never been checked but always take a spare pair with me - I am still legal to drive without specs - just - but it is so much easier on the eyes wearing them. As said doubt whether anyone would worry unless you had an accident or committed a moving traffic offence where they stopped you and started to go through the all the things you should have like triangle- first aid kit - fire extinguisher - hi vis vest etc

5. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I'm lucky in that I still only need glasses for reading and close work so (with the approval of my optician) can get away with buying off the shelf specs. I have them all over the place - jacket pocket, 3 pairs in the house, garage, car, van cab and hab areas plus a couple of spare pairs just in case :Smile:

Jill uses prescription specs but has spares in car and van as well as the ones she uses normally.

6. electricscott

electricscott Funster

i use my prescription safety specs supplied by my previous employer as my spare pair.:Smile:

7. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

Thought this might be of interest. You need a valid prescription which your optician is legally obliged to give you when you have an eye test. I tend to get carried away at Specsavers so instead of looking at their glasses and then being tempted to get another pair 'free' :Rofl1:
    I got a pair that was two prescriptions old re-glazed. Not at Specsavers though, I used this company http://www.ciliaryblue.com/
    As they already had lenses in they used those for measuring the Pupil Distance and I am very pleased. The whole process took 6 days, filled in the online form Monday, got the box sent to me by Tuesday but because I was out, I lost a day and I sent them off Wednesday. Saturday I had them back all re-glazed and with new nose pads.

This whole process cost me £15 (including postage) and the lenses are thinner than the ones that were in there (which is good as the prescription means they could have been thicker) OK they are just for Short sight (so I can see distances with them) but that is still a very good price. They do all types and they do added extras, obviously all that increases the price but I can recommend the service. :BigGrin:
    Jane :Smile:

8. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

I have got spares everywhere. I have my posh pair in work, a set in the van, 2 sets at home and a pair in the wife's handbag..:thumb:

9. beachcaster

beachcaster Read Only Funster

To date all Ive needed is a pair of reading glasses for close up.
    So I buy the 1.5 or 2 level of cheap readers sold everywhere.

But they keep vanishing. !
    Last time I was in Lidl and they had some simple black ones so I bought 8 pairs.......that was about a month ago.........I come across a pair now and again...but never when I want them !!!!!

Must be a reading glass fairy around !

barry

10. lugnutt

lugnutt Funster Life Member

Barry have you looked on top of ya head?