Spare bulb set requirement (1 Viewer)

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Touring the continent most countries require us to carry a bulb replacement set, never been a problem till now. But we now have a new van with led lighting to the front. Spoken to dealer and he is unsure if the requirement applies as it's not an easy fix to change these in the event one should fail. Anyone's thoughts?

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
My thoughts are that is completely impractical nowadays. To change most cars' headlight bulb requires partial removal of the engine to access the bulbs. The regulation made sense when it was a simple matter of reaching in to change the bulb, but not now. I do actually carry them but just to avoid a legal arguement

Maybe the laws need reviewing.

Wyn

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
No requirement here anymore to carry bulbs or the tools to be able to change them . Withdrawn due to the fact that most needthe vehicle to be partially dismantled & a garage needing to be used.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
We are taking a second car abroad for the first time this year and I have found the cheapest bulb set and triangle I can find. Not sure if any of the bulbs fit but as W says should keep someone happy.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
No requirement here anymore to carry bulbs or the tools to be able to change them . Withdrawn due to the fact that most needthe vehicle to be partially dismantled & a garage needing to be used.
Agreed, like the French breathalyser, the rule still stands but isn't upheld.
Not like in the past when you simply pulled off the rubber cover and undid the spring clip to extract the bulb.
Many modern vehicles require half the engine bay stripping out and even Spanish police can't expect you to do that at the roadside.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We are taking a second car abroad for the first time this year and I have found the cheapest bulb set and triangle I can find. Not sure if any of the bulbs fit but as W says should keep someone happy.
Just what I would do cheap set from alsi/lidl/the pound shop and wave it if asked.

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Not now shown on the AA recommended list for the continent though there is a referral in the notes in section 10 after the table in this link.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
In modern cars you can only fit the bulbs during the initial construction of the vehicle. If a bulb fails thereafter you sell the car for scrap value and put the proceeds towards buying a new car. It is theoretically possible to remove and dismantle the engine, gearbox, wheels, body shell and seats in order to fit a new bulb but it's only financially viable if you can do it yourself. Garages charge a sum equal to ten times the cube of Jean-Claude Junkers' pension pot.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back