Spanish Campsite Guide

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Gloombusters, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Gloombusters

Gloombusters Funster

HI Folks, we are off to Spain at the beginning of September for eight weeks. We are keen cyclists and will be using the Vias Verdes cycle paths (disused railways) starting in the north and working our way to the south. We are trying to find a good campsite guide of Spain that will help us camp near these cycle routes. We are members of ACSI & Caravan Club but the sites are a bit 'thin on the ground' around the areas we will be travelling. Has anyone got any recommendations that may help us? Thanks

2. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

Bonterra Park in Benicassim has a Via Verde right behind the site that goes north, through a railway tunnel (No!!! They've taken the choo choo's out!!!) to Orepesa.

I don't know where it goes northwards but you can cycle south as far as Grao de Castellon 10k away along the coast.

3. Gloombusters

Gloombusters Funster

Thanks emmitdb, we have stayed at that site and ridden that Via Verde a number of times. The tunnel is fun! What we need is a campsite guide book. I'm sure there must be one. Thanks again. Happy Motorhoming.

4. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

The only campsite book we use is Camperstop.

5. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

You could try 'Search for sites' not an app, but you can download and use on smartphone/tablet/PC. Using the map, you would be able to see what sites, camperstops aires etc are closest to your cycle paths.

http://www.searchforsites.co.uk/

• Like Like x 1
  6. Viennese

Viennese Funster

• Like Like x 1
  7. Cobweb

Cobweb

I would be very interested to find more information about the Via Verdes . We have just about cycled every Voie Verte in France so this would open a whole new cycling area for us . Is there a guide which gives you maps as well gives information about the gradient as well as the path surface.

• Like Like x 1
  8. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I was going to suggest don't bother to camp but stay in hotels and inns as my brother and I did when we did the Pyrenees but for 8 weeks that might get a bit pricy!

Campsites can be few and far between in parts of central Spain and come October a lot of them will be closed. I can only suggest using Google maps and following your route work out where you might want somewhere to stay each night, zoom out so you can see a fairly wide area and then in the search bar just type in "camping" and then it will show the campsites it knows about on the map. You will need to check with each one to see if they are open but this would be how I would do it.. For places where there is not campsite you will either have to wild camp (not always easy the Spanish love to fence everything off) or stay in a Posada.

• Like Like x 1
  9. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

There's an English version of this site if you click on the button: http://www.viasverdes.com/itinerarios/principal.asp But it's not the most user-friendly site I think but if you download the leaflet, which took a while, there is map showing where they are. Not easy to join them up but you could certainly use a few of them in a long trip.

The Cicerone guidebook called Cycling Touring in Spain has some nice routes, we followed the one which went along the Pyrenees. Not all on green roads but the tarmac ones were quiet. They also list Bilbao to Madrid which looks interesting.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Gloombusters

Gloombusters Funster

Thanks for all the replies, I'll try some of them. I signed up to searchforsites. co.uk which looks like it could be very useful. Thank you davidandginny.

• Like Like x 1